Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: What to do with no footy to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Thanks DV. Reckons this happens in politics and the culture wars a lot these days.. A lot less judging every case on its merits. Definitely at play in 2016 GF.
    Certainly. But since this is one of my pet subjects, I better be careful in my response, otherwise I might spend the rest of the afternoon writing a few thousand word essay.

Going along with a group, is one of those little short cuts, that often work well, but at times, can go a little astray. Generally, the majority is correct more often than not. So going along with the majority tends to save time and preserves a pleasant social atmosphere. This type of mental short cut is known as a heuristic. However, there are a number of heuristics that contribute to modern culture wars.

For instance, most people are more likely to agree with somebody displaying confidence. Which often works and is perfectly justified, if the person's confidence is based on actual knowledge of the topic. However, it can fall down, when judging between the opinions of a very confident, but ignorant narcissist and a naturally cautious scientist. Likewise, wealth can be a legitimate factor in decision making. For instance, it's usually better to get financial advice from someone in the penthouse, rather than the pavement. But this falls down, if the person gained their wealth from inheritance, rather than hard work or sound decision making.

Anyway, I can feel an essay coming on, so I won't go further.

Though earlier in the thread, I did recommend a few Michael Lewis books. One excellent one I didn't mention though, is The Undoing Project: which is about heuristics and the two scientists that coined the term.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    This study of soccer suggests a 0.4 goal advantage caused by referees being influenced by the crowd.

Officiating Bias, Influenced By Crowds, Affects Home Field Advantage -- ScienceDaily

A 0.4 goal difference in soccer would be about a 20-30 point advantage in AFL.
    Yes, and that little bit of bias, is probably exacerbated, if the officials live in the same city as one of the teams that they're officiating. That is, if an umpire often meets fans of team A, but almost never meets fans of team B, there would be some influence on their decision making, because they are likely to be criticised by fans for controversial decisions that went against team A, but praised for decisions that went against team B. That would probably be strengthened, if much of the media was also based in the same city.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    They might have told me BEFORE I spent a significant chunk of $$ on a heartbreaking trip to Melbourne.
    Yes, I've always thought there should have been a class action mounted on behalf of Sydney based fans to refund the not
    inconsiderable costs incurred in attending the fixed 2016 GF plus punitive damages.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Agree. Just about every old game that I watch, including finals, Hanneberry has been sensational.
    I agree, tragic for the club and the player what happened to Hanners. Without wanting to go full #MitchellGate wish we knew then what we know now.

I did watch an antique Swans game recently where the commentators said a young Jake Lloyd was keeping Mitchell out of the side despite him having 64 and kicking 4 in the NEAFL.

A couple of others who stand out for me are (1) a (admittedly rare) fit and firing Tippett and (2) Nick Malceski. Fingers crossed Dawson can develop into a suitably laser-footed replacement in the backline.

The fixture throwback on now is the 2006 GF. Missed a fair few chances in the first quarter, but for me, the highlight was Tadhg racing away from Cousins, after an extended battle for the ball.

Veterans List
    Triple M had a replay of the 2012 Grand Final this afternoon. I have heard their call before while watching the DVD, however I decided to sit and listen to the whole game. It was interesting picturing the passages of play. Although during a lot of our goals the commentators were going nuts and you couldn't hear what was going on...which would have been frustrating if you were listening live on the day!

Interestingly they kept bringing up the umpiring during the game and how we were hard done by.

I still get goosebumps when Malceski kicks that goal 😊.

Just for some fun for those that haven't seen it: https://www.facebook.com/AustralianD...ons&__tn__=K-R

Plugga Duck doing well - two wins so far!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Just for some fun for those that haven't seen it: https://www.facebook.com/AustralianD...ons&__tn__=K-R

Plugga Duck doing well - two wins so far!
    Squawks

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Squawks
    Should change the name of the real club to that if you ask me!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Should change the name of the real club to that if you ask me!
    Speaking of which: our AFL site fixture throwback, at noon tomorrow, is against Hawthorn. Hopefully it will be the 2012 GF.

Though in the meantime, we could keep ourselves entertained with labradors.

The Company Meeting - YouTube

Or in these troubled times, we could seek solace in the eloquence and wisdom of our leaders.

How to medical - YouTube

How to #obamagate - YouTube