Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with no footy to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Thanks for posting that video Deja, that was great to watch. Adam Goodes, what a star! That was the match in which he broke the Sydney games record by playing his 304th AFL game.

Looking at the patched up faces in the team song, a few bits of sticking plaster were used that day.

Nice write up of the match:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...429-1xt2y.html
    Interesting mention of the job that Ted Richards did on Buddy. After reading that, I had to watch the highlights again, because the first couple of times that I watched it, I didn't even notice that Buddy was there.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Interesting mention of the job that Ted Richards did on Buddy. After reading that, I had to watch the highlights again, because the first couple of times that I watched it, I didn't even notice that Buddy was there.
    Likewise - in fact I was actually just thinking Buddy must have been out injured when finally he came into a passage of play.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Yes, I think you're right with Seymour. Also at the end of this highlights package, Stephen Doyle is in a tracksuit, so I think he went down as well.

One of the Sydney Swans all time great wins - 1st Qualifying Final 2003 - AFL - Highlights - YouTube

For me, the highlight of the highlights package, came a few minutes before half time. Leo Barry threw himself into the path of fast leading Port forward and brought the ball to ground. That led to Kennelly kicking off a harem scarem rebound, that involved almost everybody in the back half: Ablett, Nicks, Stephens and Bolton, and ended with Cresswell putting through another one. Leo Barry; what a star.
    didnt Ben Matthews end up on crutches?

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    didnt Ben Matthews end up on crutches?
    No, at least not in that game. Ben was on the ground at full-time and can be seen celebrating (in the number 4 jumper, that he wouldn't give back to Plugger). When the coaching box rises, it looks like there's a player with their arm in a sling. It could be Seymour?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    2003 (?) v. Port Qualifying final at Footy Park
    Entire 2005 finals series (Swans)
    2012 v. Adelaide Qualifying final
    2012 v. Collingwood 2012 Prelim (Jetta goal)
    2012 GF (Hanners should have won the Normie)
    Any Goodsie highlights (Simply the Best)
    Rd 1 2020 - Undefeated season.
    A great game to watch is the 2016 Prelim v Cats at MCG. Buddy, Heeney, Parker, Tippett and just about everybody played well. Pity we peaked a week early notwithstanding the umps hosed us in the GF. Also PF v Dockers in 2006. Hall,O' Loughlin, O'Keefe 14 goals between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Likewise - in fact I was actually just thinking Buddy must have been out injured when finally he came into a passage of play.
    Or maybe there's a part of my mind, that just doesn't believe that Buddy was a Hawthorn player?

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Fosdike? One of our main runners did their ankle I thought

Or maybe there's a part of my mind, that just doesn't believe that Buddy was a Hawthorn player?

Senior Player
    I've tried in the past, but I think that I only got to about ten minutes into the third quarter.

From 2012, this popped into my YouTube feed recently. It's the day that Goodesy broke the Swans games record. We came from twenty points down at half time, to smash Hawthorn at Launceston. These are the second half highlights.

Sydney Swans SMASH Hawthorn Hawks - AFL 2012 Round 5 - 2nd half highlights - YouTube
    I remember listening to a podcast with Ted Richards a year or two ago, and he said that was the day they believed they could win the comp that year. He said they developed an incredible belief in each other. And you can see Adam is at the heart of that. A video to dig out to show future generations how good Goodsey was.

Great stuff.

Thanks Deja. I really enjoyed that.

PS: My sister emailed me while on vacation in Florida. She and my brother both have Covid. My brother in law is in hospital with pneumonia, but recovering well. She says Americans are so selfish. They're are still out partying like nothing's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Thanks Deja. I really enjoyed that.

PS: My sister emailed me while on vacation in Florida. She and my brother both have Covid. My brother in law is in hospital with pneumonia, but recovering well. She says Americans are so selfish. They're are still out partying like nothing's happening.
    That must be a worry for you. I hope they have a speedy recovery. I suspect that the attitude of many Americans to coronavirus, is influenced by what's been coming out of the government and the media. Unfortunately, that messaging has been mixed: to put it very mildly.

There's an interesting recent book by Michael Lewis, called The Fifth Risk. As you're probably aware, Lewis is well known to many sports fans, for his books; Moneyball and The Blind Side, but he's also produced books that are more financially and politically based, like, The Big Short and Liar's Poker. In The Fifth Risk, he argues that a major risk to America, is the running down of government services, by administrations that seem to think that 'government is the problem'. In my opinion, that risk is now being realised.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I remember listening to a podcast with Ted Richards a year or two ago, and he said that was the day they believed they could win the comp that year. He said they developed an incredible belief in each other. And you can see Adam is at the heart of that. A video to dig out to show future generations how good Goodsey was.

Great stuff.
    Yes, it would be an interesting exercise, to go back and examine each premiership side, to try and determine when they genuinely started to believe that they could win the premiership. While I'm sure most players would go into a season, claiming that their side is a chance to win the comp, I doubt if that would a strongly held and predominant belief within a club, until the team had at least few games where everything just clicked.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast