Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with no footy to watch

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, it would be an interesting exercise, to go back and examine each premiership side, to try and determine when they genuinely started to believe that they could win the premiership. While I'm sure most players would go into a season, claiming that their side is a chance to win the comp, I doubt if that would a strongly held and predominant belief within a club, until the team had at least few games where everything just clicked.
    It's really stuck with me, that quote. The galvanising value of a win. When I went back to watch the highlights after listening to that interview, the spirit of the players, particularly Adam, is evident.

Round 1 this season was a stirring win, and it's softened this lockdown a little.

I actually came on to post a link to the highlights of another such win. Our 2018 win away to Geelong is probably my favourite in recent years. McGuire's call in the 4th quarter is a beauty.

Match Highlights: Geelong v Sydney | Round 6, 2018 | AFL - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't seen the Vietnam one, but I loved his series on the American civil war. Also liked his baseball series; even though I'm not much of a fan of the game.
    Both the Vietnam and Civil War series are brilliant, particularly the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    It's really stuck with me, that quote. The galvanising value of a win. When I went back to watch the highlights after listening to that interview, the spirit of the players, particularly Adam, is evident.

Round 1 this season was a stirring win, and it's softened this lockdown a little.

I actually came on to post a link to the highlights of another such win. Our 2018 win away to Geelong is probably my favourite in recent years. McGuire's call in the 4th quarter is a beauty.

Match Highlights: Geelong v Sydney | Round 6, 2018 | AFL - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Both the Vietnam and Civil War series are brilliant, particularly the latter.
    Yes, that was a great victory. Always pleasing to win at the cattery; especially when a young side runs over the top of more experienced and star-studded opponents.

TV wise, I'm afraid I've been binge-watching something almost the total opposite of a Ken Burns documentary. It's a British comedy of a few years ago, Man Down; that's silly, deranged and very funny. It stars Greg Davies, fellow stand up, Roisin Conaghty, and in the first series, the late Rik Mayall: who I didn't recognise at first, but here he is, supplying the sort of parenting, that would probably leave their offspring scarred enough for a career in comedy.

Man Down - Episode 2 - Rik's Scene - YouTube

The AFL site is currently replaying a "classic" match, between us and this week's scheduled opponents, the Suns. Can you guess which match they chose? Hint: the overall win/loss record is, Swans: 10, Suns: 1.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=mcs;792855]That game mentioned was when I first thought we'd be right up there in 2012. The game where I thought we could win the flag was the reverse fixture late in the season against the Hawks at the SCG. They got us in a very, very high quality game of football, but we went toe to toe with them, and if I remember rightly did have much luck at a couple of key points. I remember walking out with my good mate and saying to him that we can win the flag this year.

- - - Updated - - -

I vividly remember a similar thing in 2005. It was a high quality game around rd16 or rd17 against the Dees on a Saturday night in Melbourne when Neitz was still at his peak.

What impressed me was the Dees played very well, but no matter how much they surged, we kept the game under control and had a clinical power to our game at points. Gave me immense belief.

The AFL site is currently replaying a "classic" match, between us and this week's scheduled opponents, the Suns. Can you guess which match they chose? Hint: the overall win/loss record is, Swans: 10, Suns: 1.
    Since we were served up one of the lamest performances by the Swans this century, perhaps the AFL site can redeem themselves by showing an actual classic next weekend? Since our scheduled opponents are Carlton, surely the match to choose is the 2010 elimination final.

Sydney Swans v Carlton Blues - 1st Elimination Final - Highlights - AFL 2010 - YouTube

It's a game where the Swans looked like running away with it in the first half; through some tough midfield work and some classy efforts up forward, from, umm, Paul Bevan, Jesse White, Rhyce Shaw and Trent Dennis-Lane. Then the momentum swung in the third quarter, largely due to a classic Chris Judd performance. Then in the last, the manic efforts of the Swans swung the game back. What's not really shown in those highlights, if I remember rightly, is the outsanding effort of Kennedy in the final quarter; who was an absolute contested possession beast. And speaking of beasts, that was possibly the game, where the Mumford and Pyke partnership really started to show potential: with Pyke proving that he could do plenty of useful things around the ground, and Mumford further displaying his physical presence. One highlight is where he and Carlton player, Richard Hadley, do a convincing impression, of what happens when a distracted jogger inexplicably doesn't notice a telegraph pole.

Senior Player
    Since we were served up one of the lamest performances by the Swans this century, perhaps the AFL site can redeem themselves by showing an actual classic next weekend? Since our scheduled opponents are Carlton, surely the match to choose is the 2010 elimination final.

Sydney Swans v Carlton Blues - 1st Elimination Final - Highlights - AFL 2010 - YouTube
    This was a great game, up there with the best I've attended. I always point to this as an example that games at ANZ could have a great atmosphere, under the right circumstances. Sunday afternoon too!
    Another highlight is the Dennis-Lane chase down in the 50, tackle and goal. Maybe his best game for us? The "Burmese kitten" was a fan favourite at the time, shame he wasn't more consistent.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Another highlight is the Dennis-Lane chase down in the 50, tackle and goal. Maybe his best game for us? The "Burmese kitten" was a fan favourite at the time, shame he wasn't more consistent.
    And Jesse White managing to lock the ball down in a one-on-one contest close to the very end, when he (and his opponent) were possibly the only people in our forward half of the ground.

This was a great game, up there with the best I've attended. I always point to this as an example that games at ANZ could have a great atmosphere, under the right circumstances. Sunday afternoon too!
    Thanks for letting me know, that I was not the only person to use the nickname; the Burmese kitten. I don't think it was in widespread use, was it? Shame he never really lived up to his early promise. Still, playing a match winning role in a final, is more than many players achieve.

Senior Player
    Thanks for letting me know, that I was not the only person to use the nickname; the Burmese kitten. I don't think it was in widespread use, was it? Shame he never really lived up to his early promise. Still, playing a match winning role in a final, is more than many players achieve.
    I only recall seeing it in these forums so I guess not widespread, no

Senior Player
    I only recall seeing it in these forums so I guess not widespread, no
    Skilful player but struggled with the physical stuff. Played at St Kilda as well and was from WA IIRC.

I'm sure many people would have already seen, these couple of videos by BBC sports commentator, Andrew Cotter, but if not, they're hilarious. Especially if you've ever owned a labrador.

Coronavirus stars: BBC sports commentator Andrew Cotter's dogs Olive and Mabel go viral | Life and style | The Guardian

Senior Player
    Classic!

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast