Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Updated Swans Team of the Century?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Crouch was awesome. A real competitor, amazing turn of speed and tough. Loved how he used to drive Aker to insanity. Just out of interest, Crouch or Nick Smith? I'd give it to smooch but only just.
    I used to love the job that Crouch always did on Akermanis. In fact, I would sometimes entertain myself, with thoughts of the tag starting well before game time. As in; Akermanis trying to catch a cab, Crouch jumping in before him. Akermanis attempting to eat dinner, Crouch knocking the cutlery out of his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Kennelly v Malceski? Kennelly tough, could play tall or small. Malceski had that left boot and dash, especially pre ACL. C Bolton would have to be one of the bravest KPD, remember him playing and beating guys like Jon Brown who were taller and heavier.
    Good side Captain.
    Would definitely go for Kennelly. While Malceski was the better kick, Kennelly was a more damaging runner and a tougher defender. It always seemed to me, that he really hated his opponents getting the ball: especially if it led to a goal.

Though if I remember rightly, one thing that used to frustrate me, even though their careers overlapped, they were rarely on the field together. One would get injured, then when they got back on the field, the other one would soon limp off.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    In 2003 the Swans named their Team of the Century:

B: John Rantall, John Heriot, Vic Belcher
    H/B: Bill Faul, Ron Clegg, Dennis Carroll
    C: David Murphy, Greg Williams, Herb Matthews
    H/F: Tony Morwood, Laurie Nash, Gerard Healy
    F: Bob Pratt, Tony Lockett, Paul Kelly (vc)
    Foll: Barry Round, Peter Bedford, Bob Skilton (c)
    Inter: Bill Williams, Stevie Wright, Daryn Cresswell, Fred Goldsmith, Mark Bayes, Harry Clarke, Mark Tandy
    Coach: Jack Bissett

17 years on, with a number of newly minted champions, how would the best Swans Team of 117 years look?

Who would come in? Who would drop out?

I know it’s hard to compare eras, so here are some stats on the current TotC On This Day: Team of the Century named

If we can come up with a consensus, I’d love to see how our absolute best of all time would stack up against other clubs’ TotC’s (admittedly we would have an extra 17 years (ie Buddy ) but hey, this is RWO, we deserve it!
    I would leave out Carroll and Wright. Carroll was very over rated. A good club man (probably why he got a gig) but just a good average footballer. Good kick but as loose as granny's teeth. Steve Wright was an average rover who rarely played well against good sides. Don't know how they could have Heriot before Goldsmith who won a Brownlow at full back. Heriot was ok but just another average footballer who was no good anywhere else on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Buddy wouldn’t get a start in my team (assuming we are just basing this on time at Swans).
    Yeah I guess his time with Sydney might not warrant his inclusion. But he’s still got a couple of years on his contract to try and improve on the 118 games 364 goals, 2 Coleman medals, 4 times All Australian and leading our goal kicking 5 times since joining us in 2014

Reminds me of Bob Pratt in 1934, the year he kicked 150 goals (in fewer games than Hudson kicked the same number ... and Pratt kicked a league record 94 points that season too). Pratt had his best Brownlow Medal result in 1934, polling 14 votes to finish eighth, six votes behind winner, Essendon's Dick Reynolds. For all of this, Pratt did not win South Melbourne's Best and Fairest Award (won by Terry Brain). When Pratt asked a committee member why, he was given the response "You're very spectacular but not very effective."

My preference would be for Hall over Franklin. Mainly because Barry (06 aside) has been a better and more consistent finals player than Buddy. He was a big part of winning us 05 whilst Buddy has gone missing in both grand finals.

Senior Player
    My preference would be for Hall over Franklin. Mainly because Barry (06 aside) has been a better and more consistent finals player than Buddy. He was a big part of winning us 05 whilst Buddy has gone missing in both grand finals.
    In 2014 GF he kicked 4 goals and was probably our best player

3 out of 4 of his goals in 2014 were after half time when the game was well and truely over.

I'm not turning this into a slagging match on Buddy. I love Buddy and we all agree he is a gun. However I would pick Hall over him with regards to what he has delivered us.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I would leave out Carroll and Wright. Carroll was very over rated. A good club man (probably why he got a gig) but just a good average footballer. Good kick but as loose as granny's teeth. Steve Wright was an average rover who rarely played well against good sides. Don't know how they could have Heriot before Goldsmith who won a Brownlow at full back. Heriot was ok but just another average footballer who was no good anywhere else on the ground.
    Agree re Wright and Carroll but reckon you're a bit harsh on Carroll. Was a brilliant wingman when he first started and was often undersized at CHB. Remember seeing Heriot(number 21) play but was too young to make a good judgement about him. Brownlow should have meant Goldsmith wasn't on the bench. Long may our memories stay intact Nico!

How about Bud vs Morwood for the HFF?
    Goodsey vs Murphy for the wing?

And interestingly, Bud plays as a CHF as much as a deep forward, Hall more a true full forward. As a full forward, Hall averaged just under 2.9 goals a game with us. Capper averaged over 3.5 goals a game as a Swan at full forward and couldn’t even make the bench of the TotC.
    Last edited by goswannies; 14th April 2020 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    How about Bud vs Morwood for the HFF?
    Goodsey vs Murphy for the wing?

And interestingly, Bud plays as a CHF as much as a deep forward, Hall more a true full forward. As a full forward, Hall averaged just under 2.9 goals a game with us. Capper averaged over 3.5 goals a game as a Swan at full forward and couldn’t even make the bench of the TotC.
    Yep fair point. You would go Buddy and Goodes over Moorwood and Murphy.

Capper was a gun but Hall was more consistent over a longer period and played a big part in delivering that premiership.

Yep fair point. You would go Buddy and Goodes over Moorwood and Murphy.

Capper was a gun but Hall was more consistent over a longer period and played a big part in delivering that premiership.
    Capper really was a Wiz but his goals were 'cheaper'. They came in an era of much greater goal scoring, and not under Roos' super accountable game style.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Capper really was a Wiz but his goals were 'cheaper'. They came in an era of much greater goal scoring, and not under Roos' super accountable game style.
    Plugger was pre-Roos (as a coach). So was Pratt. Does that logic diminish their goal scoring feats?

Capper’s marking would likely have been achieved in any era (apart from that brief period when forwards were stringently penalised for hand placement to launch). I think you’re hard on the Wiz. The problem with comparing players from different eras is that the game was different. Could they have adapted to different game styles? How much better (or worse) could they have been in a more professional environment. You can only really compare how much they dominated and what they achieved in their era.

It’s like Kevin Sheedy’s cheap shot on Graham Teasdale being the worst player to win a Brownlow. Teaser could only play as good as the opposition allowed him to and he was the Best and Fairest player in the VFL in that year, no matter what that bitter, opinionated twat Sheedy thinks
    Last edited by 0918330512; 15th April 2020 at 09:35 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast