Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Updated Swans Team of the Century?

Updated Swans Team of the Century?

In 2003 the Swans named their Team of the Century:

B: John Rantall, John Heriot, Vic Belcher
    H/B: Bill Faul, Ron Clegg, Dennis Carroll
    C: David Murphy, Greg Williams, Herb Matthews
    H/F: Tony Morwood, Laurie Nash, Gerard Healy
    F: Bob Pratt, Tony Lockett, Paul Kelly (vc)
    Foll: Barry Round, Peter Bedford, Bob Skilton (c)
    Inter: Bill Williams, Stevie Wright, Daryn Cresswell, Fred Goldsmith, Mark Bayes, Harry Clarke, Mark Tandy
    Coach: Jack Bissett

17 years on, with a number of newly minted champions, how would the best Swans Team of 117 years look?

Who would come in? Who would drop out?

I know it’s hard to compare eras, so here are some stats on the current TotC On This Day: Team of the Century named

If we can come up with a consensus, I’d love to see how our absolute best of all time would stack up against other clubs’ TotC’s (admittedly we would have an extra 17 years (ie Buddy ) but hey, this is RWO, we deserve it!

I would bring in Barry Hall, Adam Goodes, Micky O, Ryan O’Keefe, Jude Bolton, Josh Kennedy and Brett Kirk. Paul Roos to be coach.

Am tempted to say Nick Davis based on that one quarter in 05 😝

Buddy wouldn’t get a start in my team (assuming we are just basing this on time at Swans).

Outs would be all those on the bench.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I would bring in Barry Hall, Adam Goodes, Micky O, Ryan O’Keefe, Jude Bolton, Josh Kennedy and Brett Kirk. Paul Roos to be coach.

Am tempted to say Nick Davis based on that one quarter in 05 😝

Buddy wouldn’t get a start in my team (assuming we are just basing this on time at Swans).

Outs would be all those on the bench.
    Agree with your ins except for Jude who would be one of the first picked in the most courageous Swans category.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Agree with your ins except for Jude who would be one of the first picked in the most courageous Swans category.
    2 premierships and 325 games (equal 2nd on all time list). Deserves a spot over Cresswell (who I love).

Senior Player
    2 premierships and 325 games (equal 2nd on all time list). Deserves a spot over Cresswell (who I love).
    Fair point. If you brought in the 6 players you mentioned minus Jude, the 6 I would leave out of the original and they were all very good players are: Carroll, Murphy, Morwood, B.Williams, Wright and Cresswell. Not sure where that leaves team balance if it's required.

What about a team of the 2000's?
    B Rampe Richards Grundy
    HB Malceski Barry McVeigh
    C Goodes Parker Hannerbury
    HF J Bolton Franklin Heeney
    F O'Loughlin Hall Papley
    Foll Jolly Kennedy Kirk
    Int Jack ROK Williams LRT

I'm thinking of the guys who played mostly in the 2000's. Guys like Kelly, Cresswell, Maxfield and even Plugger technically all played in the 2000's but I see them more as 1990's stars.

On LRT, not naturally gifted but could play tall positions all over the park and always gave 110%, was rarely beaten.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    What about a team of the 2000's?
    B Rampe Richards Grundy
    HB Malceski Barry McVeigh
    C Goodes Parker Hannerbury
    HF J Bolton Franklin Heeney
    F O'Loughlin Hall Papley
    Foll Jolly Kennedy Kirk
    Int Jack ROK Williams LRT

I'm thinking of the guys who played mostly in the 2000's. Guys like Kelly, Cresswell, Maxfield and even Plugger technically all played in the 2000's but I see them more as 1990's stars.

On LRT, not naturally gifted but could play tall positions all over the park and always gave 110%, was rarely beaten.
    Great line up! Agree on LRT Big time competitor and great finals player One of the first picked. I'd give serious consideration to Crouch. Awarded best finals player in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Great line up! Agree on LRT Big time competitor and great finals player One of the first picked. I'd give serious consideration to Crouch. Awarded best finals player in 2005.
    Crouch was awesome. A real competitor, amazing turn of speed and tough. Loved how he used to drive Aker to insanity. Just out of interest, Crouch or Nick Smith? I'd give it to smooch but only just.

I would bring in Nick Smith, Craig Bolton, Jason Ball, Nick Davis and Tadhg Kennelly.

Barry Richards Smith
    Kennelly C Bolton McVeigh
    Hannebery Kennedy Goodes
    O’Laughlin Franklin O’Keefe
    Davis Hall Jack
    Ball J Bolton Kirk
    Williams LRT Parker Grundy
    Emer: Jetta, Heeney, Crouch, Jolly

I would bring in Nick Smith, Craig Bolton, Jason Ball, Nick Davis and Tadhg Kennelly.

Barry Richards Smith
    Kennelly C Bolton McVeigh
    Hannebery Kennedy Goodes
    O’Laughlin Franklin O’Keefe
    Davis Hall Jack
    Ball J Bolton Kirk
    Williams LRT Parker Grundy
    Emer: Jetta, Heeney, Crouch, Jolly
    Kennelly v Malceski? Kennelly tough, could play tall or small. Malceski had that left boot and dash, especially pre ACL. C Bolton would have to be one of the bravest KPD, remember him playing and beating guys like Jon Brown who were taller and heavier.
    Good side Captain.

We really have had some amazing players over the 20 years of this decade! I always think that players of yester-year can be easily forgotten or under-rated because we never saw them play and there is little available footage of their feats. Hence, I would be reluctant to omit any of the greats from the early 1900s or the 1930s.

However, some of those loyal servants from the 1980s and 1990s like Wright, Hayes and Carrol are not in the same league as players like Goodes, Hall, Micky O and Buddy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    We really have had some amazing players over the 20 years of this decade! I always think that players of yester-year can be easily forgotten or under-rated because we never saw them play and there is little available footage of their feats. Hence, I would be reluctant to omit any of the greats from the early 1900s or the 1930s.

However, some of those loyal servants from the 1980s and 1990s like Wright, Hayes and Carrol are not in the same league as players like Goodes, Hall, Micky O and Buddy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Bit harsh on Bayes I reckon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Crouch was awesome. A real competitor, amazing turn of speed and tough. Loved how he used to drive Aker to insanity. Just out of interest, Crouch or Nick Smith? I'd give it to smooch but only just.
    I'd probably just give it to Crouch because he had to run all day with the likes of Judd, Kerr, Aker etc and got a fair bit of the ball himself. Close call.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast