Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Updated Swans Team of the Century?

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    To those mentioning Mickey O. Great player, but he was into his 9th season when this team was announced and Tony Morwood was chosen, who is the only player he could possibly replace in this team. Morwood was a sensational player as well, and quite similar - rangy half forward, great mark for his size, creative, lithe and agile, never dirty, highly skilled, very courageous despite not being strongly built, always dangerous. Mickey O is fresher in the memory but that of itself is not a reason to exit Tony Morwood from the team. He was chosen for a reason (actually, the many reasons I've mentioned). That said, Mickey O went on to play another 5 seasons and over 300 games, which also counts for a lot (vs Morwood 230 or so), and Mickey O had a beautiful Indian Summer towards the end of his career after seeming gone with the yips a few years earlier. But it's still not straightforward - Morwood was pure silk and spent more time in mediocre teams where there was less opportunity available (although the Edelsten era was good for him).

I guess i'm just saying - it's less straightforward than it seems. Recency bias is understandable but needs to be recognised and factored into the equation.
    All fair points, but 300+ games and a premiership gets Micky O over the line IMO.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    To those mentioning Mickey O. Great player, but he was into his 9th season when this team was announced and Tony Morwood was chosen, who is the only player he could possibly replace in this team. Morwood was a sensational player as well, and quite similar - rangy half forward, great mark for his size, creative, lithe and agile, never dirty, highly skilled, very courageous despite not being strongly built, always dangerous. Mickey O is fresher in the memory but that of itself is not a reason to exit Tony Morwood from the team. He was chosen for a reason (actually, the many reasons I've mentioned). That said, Mickey O went on to play another 5 seasons and over 300 games, which also counts for a lot (vs Morwood 230 or so), and Mickey O had a beautiful Indian Summer towards the end of his career after seeming gone with the yips a few years earlier. But it's still not straightforward - Morwood was pure silk and spent more time in mediocre teams where there was less opportunity available (although the Edelsten era was good for him).

I guess i'm just saying - it's less straightforward than it seems. Recency bias is understandable but needs to be recognised and factored into the equation.
    Great post, especially about Morwood playing in mediocre teams. Still, I would give the nod to Mickey O because he became a lot stronger physically in the second half of his career and played as a key position full forward with great success, despite not being able to train a lot due to knee tendonitis.

This thread got me to thinking which, if any, of our current young guns may one day be in the Swans Team of the Century (Next)? My money is on Mills, Heeney and Blakey being the most likely if their careers continue to takeoff.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    This thread got me to thinking which, if any, of our current young guns may one day be in the Swans Team of the Century (Next)? My money is on Mills, Heeney and Blakey being the most likely if their careers continue to takeoff.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Jordan Dawson?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    "Teaser" was the best footballer in the league by a country mile in 1977.

I maintain that Sheedy's comment was based on the fact that he was dirty that Richmond gave away 3 stars - Teasdale, Roberts and Jackson - to get Pitura from us and the deal turned out to be a bit of a shocker for the Tigers. Sheedy was at Richmond when Teaser was there - maybe he just didn't like him. Whatever the reason, the comment was unnecessarily nasty and completely wrong!
    That's Sheedy though.....for all the cudo's he receives, the bottom line is, he is a nasty bastard. He was on field and not much has changed off it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234