Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Round 2 vs Essendon

the scary part for me was how easily the bombers (who so many on this site dont rate all) just broke away from the HBF line and Midfield with ease and controlled the game.

we played catchup all game.

the swans players were 10 yards behind chasing nobody on many critical ocassions

BUT........amazingly we kept in the game which is also extremely valid.

our strategy has been go for early draft pick players and also non wanted players from other clubs.

i wonder how long that strategy will continue for before may involve more serious trades that add more then taylor, brand, clarke, thurlow, grey, menzel etc

in saying all that frustrates me ......... Reid and Franklin would have got us home but sadly not present and encountered for and Bud may not much going forward
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    our strategy has been go for early draft pick players and also non wanted players from other clubs.

i wonder how long that strategy will continue for before may involve more serious trades that add more then taylor, brand, clarke, thurlow, grey, menzel etc
    We've gone too far down this road to change now. The list we have now is the one we have to bank on to bring us another premiership. We had a very strong team from 2011-2016 where we played in 3 GFs. We've been in a rebuild the past 3 years. There's plenty of young talent on the list. We just have to see how things play out.

im not so sure?

i dont see recruitment as either or but rather blended and staged 2017,2018,2019,2020.....but this draft and trade period is absolutey critical for our trajectory to change

i think a web approach to revitalising our list makes sense......but I am seriously worried about our step changes as Im not seeing enough so far

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Hodge was All Australian in his 4th season, Mills is entering his 5th now
    Good point. Every year prior to that breakout season Luke Hodge averaged 15 possessions (a bit under Mill's). Then as you say Hodge had a breakout.
    Mills hasn't had such a breakout.
    Perhaps Mill's third season could have been his breakout? Wasn't he he subject of premature AA discussions before he broke his foot and lost he rest of the season?
    Sliding doors

Perhaps Mills won't follow a similar path?
    There's certainly aspects of Hodge I'd hate to see him emulate, I have no time whatsoever for on-field snipers and drunk drivers
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

is suspect you have to compare indv to team capability also ?

when Hodgey was in year 4 or year 5 what position on the table were the hawks?

ie what was Hodge having to defend ?

maybe inferior deliveries into his backline because the hawks were in their prime and killing it in their midfield and forwards ?

I dont see Mills anywhere near the complete game that Hodge possessed but at the same time Mills has had a @@@@ of a job last two years and first couple of years learnt a new trade in the backline !

its relative

have we compared other top 10 midfielders in the draft that went into the backline ?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Francis got a 3 from one of the coaches, must have been Longmire as Francis undisciplined faux tough guy play directly gave us three goals!
    Hear hear, he almost won the game for us. Complete pillock. Actually Dons have more than their fair share of cheap shot artists you'd have to say. Who was the bloke who "accidentally" fell on JPK's neck while he and two other Bombers had him pinned to the ground? Very grubby.

Veterans List
    I noticed that Kirk was our runner in the game. Has Nick Davis been let go?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    No academy and main group staff have to be separated for covid so I imagine Davis is with. Academy

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Hear hear, he almost won the game for us. Complete pillock. Actually Dons have more than their fair share of cheap shot artists you'd have to say. Who was the bloke who "accidentally" fell on JPK's neck while he and two other Bombers had him pinned to the ground? Very grubby.
    Redman, surprised it didn't get looked at given JPK was sore and groggy after the forceful forearm/elbow to the face

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Redman, surprised it didn't get looked at given JPK was sore and groggy after the forceful forearm/elbow to the face
    Agree, it should have been at least looked at. At minimum it was careless high contact. Yet no mention in MRO report.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I thought Kirky had been stood down, based on his Twitter posts in April. Not sure about his current status.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    No academy and main group staff have to be separated for covid so I imagine Davis is with. Academy
    Thanks that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I thought Kirky had been stood down, based on his Twitter posts in April. Not sure about his current status.
    All employees were initially stood down except for Longmire, Dennis Carroll, Harley and Gardiner. However, once the AFL could restart, one of the compulsory positions was Development which is Kirk's role. So it makes sense that he's the runner.

I also noticed Dennis Carroll on the bench and it looked like he was the interchange steward replacing Maxfield.
    Last edited by Mel_C; 17th June 2020 at 08:28 PM.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425