Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2 vs Essendon

Senior Player
    Agreed. He strikes me as Joey's heir apparent. A potential gun. Still think we'll get another 2-3 seasons from Joey. Perversely this enforced break has allowed players such as him and Bud a chance to freshen up a bit and get their bodies in better nick. Some good may come of it.

Re the original question, I'd be very surprised if we played a team other than the Giants in Round 2.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    I'd be keen to play Rowbottom for the whole season.
    I certainly wouldn't be dropping him for round 2, subject to his fitness on return being up to the required level. I wouldn't go as far as suggesting he must be played all season. He's still young, and the immature bodies are more likely to have suffered from the interruption to the training schedule. If he gets tired, or his form drops as the season goes on (which can happen with all players still just in their second year, or third year for that matter), there are others who might justify being rotated in.

I share your optimism about his long term potential, and I saw nothing in his round 1 performance to make me question that. He had some very good moments, alongside some quieter periods. But we shouldn't expect our youngest midfielder in the team (and maybe our youngest player full stop - I haven't checked his birthday against McInerney or Blakey) to dominate a game.

Edit: I just tried to check his DOB. Gee, the current player profiles are awful. There's a picture, and an age, in years only. No height or weight, no date of birth. No statistics (ie round 1). I looked at a seasoned player too, to see if there was more information provided - we used to get date of debut, games played, goals kicked, and all sorts of other information but nothing, nada. There's a flashing button that invites me to click to see "full profile" but flashing at me is as far as it goes. Clicking in the vicinity gives me nothing.
    Last edited by liz; 19th May 2020 at 01:02 AM.

Round 2 vs ?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Edit: I just tried to check his DOB. Gee, the current player profiles are awful. There's a picture, and an age, in years only. No height or weight, no date of birth. No statistics (ie round 1). I looked at a seasoned player too, to see if there was more information provided - we used to get date of debut, games played, goals kicked, and all sorts of other information but nothing, nada. There's a flashing button that invites me to click to see "full profile" but flashing at me is as far as it goes. Clicking in the vicinity gives me nothing.
    Hi Liz, all that info is there, try clicking on the first page to get to all the info underlying it.

There is comprehensive data & info on each player. If you can’t see it I suggest you try opening the website in a different browser. I can see all the info on both the Swans mobile app and on the Swans website using Safari.

Rowbottom DOB 19/09/2000
    McInerney DOB 18/08/2000
    Blakey DOB 27/02/2000
    Last edited by Meg; 19th May 2020 at 01:55 AM.

Suspended by the MRP
    Interesting reading posters thoughts. My call to drop Rowbottom was not an indictment on his future prospects or even his 2020 season. We had a very good team win with an even contribution, very few weak links and some surprising performances from young Bloods. It will make for tough decisions at the selection table for rd 2, with one Swan the unlucky candidate to make way for Hewett. He is the most like-for-like with Rowbottom, and the kid's rd 1 game was not convincing enough to guarantee him a spot with two, maybe three big inclusions to come. So I repeat my earlier question - if not him, then who??

Veteran Site Admin
    Not using Microsoft Edge, it's not. I just tried Chrome and it does display. So that suggests it's not missing information, but rather a browser compatibility issue. I don't think Edge is an obscure browser that I shouldn't expect to not work.

Not using Microsoft Edge, it's not. I just tried Chrome and it does display. So that suggests it's not missing information, but rather a browser compatibility issue. I don't think Edge is an obscure browser that I shouldn't expect to not work.
    Ah thought it might be a browser issue. I’ve never heard of Microsoft Edge - but that doesn’t mean it’s an obscure browser ...... .

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Interesting how tastes differ. I really like COR and see him as quick, strong and one of our best kicks, usually to a player rather than another Hail Mary. I think he's doing OK.
    Yes, I like O'Riordan. Tough, fast and always willing to take the game on. And like a previous Irish halfback flanker, he seems to have an intense dislike of losing any one on one contest. However, he's still responsible for the occasional clanger. Which possibly makes him the ideal replacement for Zak Jones?

In regards to those clangers, which usually come when taking the game on, there's two likely ways that could go. Firstly, he could learn from the risk taking, and become better at seeing options and executing skills under high pressure. Or alternatively, he could become frustrated by his mistakes and devolve into a more conservative player. Since he's still relatively new to the game, I think the first option is much more likely.

I think Ronke has been flagged as a likely injury omission for R2.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I think Ronke has been flagged as a likely injury omission for R2.
    Out Ronke, in Buddy - a slight positive ;-)

Veterans List
    On Footy Classified it was mentioned that there will be no derbies or showdowns, but they may have just been referring to the WA and SA teams seeing as they will be away from home.

It was also mentioned that each week the Sydney teams will either both play at home or both travel interstate. I assume this is to save money on flights.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    On Footy Classified it was mentioned that there will be no derbies or showdowns, but they may have just been referring to the WA and SA teams seeing as they will be away from home.

It was also mentioned that each week the Sydney teams will either both play at home or both travel interstate. I assume this is to save money on flights.
    Sa guvment announced today Crows and Port now given ok to resume contact training from Monday so they won't be SE Qld hubbing just yet. Also suggested to the AFL that they play each other at adelaide Oval for round 2.

I suspect the SA guvment figures that by round 2 they may be looking at ok'ing quarantineless FIFO for the Crows and Port meaning they can both stay in Adelaide but play games interstate until SA is prepared to let teams from the east FIFO to Adelaide for games.

WA Premier looks more hard line at this stage.

In Longmire's interview on the official site, he seemed to emphasize the focus on physical conditioning in the next three weeks to be ready for the first match.

It would not surprise me if they select players who are physically ready more so than best 22. It is such a short preparation and we tired late in the first game. So we may be more likely to select fringe players like Clarke or Fox who are generally very fit. And end up being more cautious with players returning from injury. Early in the season we may get more squad rotation from game to game. Where certain players get rested a bit more.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast