Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2 vs Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Sometimes a players value can best be seen in his absence. I think Pyke probably fell off the cliff because he was asked to fill the boots of Shane Mumford - and he simply couldn't do it.

Yeah Mummy got subbed out injured in the granny, but without him I do not believe we would have gotten there in the first place.
    He did a bloody good job of it in 2013, his contesting marking and 28 goals that year were elite for a ruckman. Was stiff to miss the AA initial squad that year I thought. I do agree about Mummy in 2012. He did nothing on the the big day due to carrying injury but he did heaps to get us to that point and deserved the medal as much as anyone that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Yep, agree with Lud, I’d prefer to see the careers of several potential stars (not necessarily super stars) realised than one marque player getting contracts like Buddy notwithstanding the excitement he has brought to the Swans.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Ahh hindsight.....it's a conveniently wonderful thing.

As someone who questioned the gamble at the time - and was roundly lambasted clean off this very forum for doing so:

I find the suggestion, that any doubts being expressed about the value of the Buddy/Kurt gamble today is nothing but convenient hindsight - extremely unpleasant. Please cease.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 29th May 2020 at 10:04 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

SYDNEY has backed its young group of goalkickers to overcome the absence of Lance Franklin, with young star Isaac Heeney set to play as a key forward.

Heeney the key forward? Swans plan for life without Buddy

Tom Papley:
    “Isaac is going to be massive for us down forward, as we saw in round one not many players can match up on him so I'm looking forward to that as well," Papley said.

"[He] is going to play a lot more as a key forward, Tommy McCartin and Nick Blakey they're going to change their roles.

Veterans List
    I hope this isn't going to be Reid's injury year again like what happens every second year 🙁.

I read that Ben Reid felt sorry for his brother and has also injured his calf.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    He did a bloody good job of it in 2013, his contesting marking and 28 goals that year were elite for a ruckman. Was stiff to miss the AA initial squad that year I thought
    Yeah but he was pretty much the first choice for every position in the All Canadian team that year

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    SYDNEY has backed its young group of goalkickers to overcome the absence of Lance Franklin, with young star Isaac Heeney set to play as a key forward.

Heeney the key forward? Swans plan for life without Buddy

Tom Papley:
    “Isaac is going to be massive for us down forward, as we saw in round one not many players can match up on him so I'm looking forward to that as well," Papley said.

"[He] is going to play a lot more as a key forward, Tommy McCartin and Nick Blakey they're going to change their roles.
    This excites me. Heeney is a forward through and through. Isaac, the time has come to make your mark.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    we would have paid over to keep mummy..... the guy who was subbed out of a GF in favour of a Canadian in his 3rd yr of senior footy
    Mumford has been a pretty good player for a long time now both for us and GWS, and he is still going !

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Mumford has been a pretty good player for a long time now both for us and GWS, and he is still going !
    Mummy has been a presence sinve he left us but statistically never had a season like Pike did
    Would have been hard to pay mummuy big without Pyke

The Swans player profile has Heeney at 186cm and 84 kg. Haywood shown at 187 and 84kg.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The Swans player profile has Heeney at 186cm and 84 kg. Haywood shown at 187 and 84kg.
    I am 188cm and stood next to Heeney at a restaurant last year and I'd say 186cm for him is pretty accurate. There was a much
    bigger difference in our respective weights though and that may be connected to my spending too much time in restaurants generally.
    Anyway, I've ruled myself out of filling in for Buddy in the forward line, and am backing Isaac to kick 50 goals for us this year.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Just a few plays from 2014 to show us what we won't have this season:

The Season's Best - Sydney Swans - YouTube
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Ronke injured, no Buddy available and I believe Reid is not ready so do we keep the 21 that played against the Crows way back when and just add one, likely to be Hewett? Was there anyone who had a poor game in Adelaide? I remember Taylor wasn't that impressive.

I'd like to see Dawson used as a floating forward where his kicking can hit the scoreboard.
    No reason not to keep the 21 that played against the Crows and add Hewitt for Ronke. Hard for players to stake a claim for a spot when they haven't been playing.
    Taylor wasn't so bad for a 'first-gamer'. I think atm the weakest link might be Jake Lloyd. He was MIA against Adelaide and when he did get the ball his decision making was poor. He'll need a strong showing against the peptide princesses.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast