Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2 vs Essendon

Round 2 vs Essendon

I tried to post this a couple of days ago but something went awry and now I'll try again.

With the resumption of the season hoving on to the horizon, the time has come to start talking about round 2. Some might say it is too early - we don't even know the opposition, the venue, the date or the rules that will apply (extended benches? interchange cap?). I say bugger that let's kick this conversation off.

Opposition

In the original fixture we were next slated to play Essendon at home at the SCG. After the season was suspended the AFL said the opponents fixtured for the next 4 rounds would remain unchanged when the season resumed, even if other things changed. However, there has been a fair bit of water under the bridge since then and I think that could easily change, and probably will. Personally I would like for our next match to be against Essendon at home because I view them as beatable and it could help us build momentum into our season.

Venue

I'm unclear what the latest is about hubs and what not. It seems there might be half a dozen teams based in Queensland (QLD, SA & WA teams). It is probable there will be a hub of some sort in Victoria. I heard some talk we might be sent to Tassie. I don't really have any idea where we'll be playing. If we can't have home ground advantage then would be good to get experience playing on the MCG, acclimatising to its dimensions etc. That said, I believe we have a pretty good record in Tassie in recent years.

Date

Compared to Friday morning when I was last writing this thread-opener, we now know the season will resume on Thursday 11 June, apparently with Collingwood v Richmond (I think I read this info was attributed to Eddie Maguire). So, only 3.5 weeks to go!

Selection

Possibly the most interesting thing we can begin discussing is selection. Ronke hyperextended his knee in Round 1 and likely won't be available and so will go out of the team. Conversely it is to be hoped that both Buddy and Hewett will be ready to go and pretty much automatic inclusions in the 22 (if there will only be 22). If that's the case then someone will have to make way. Assuming there's no form issues I would guess that would be McInerney out. Reid on the other hand doesn't look like he'll be ready to play within a month because although he's resumed running he's coming from a fair way back.

If on the other hand the bench is extended, might give opportunity to someone like Stephens, Fox, Ling, Stoddart or possibly (but hopefully not) Clarke or Thurlow.

However that thinking will be affected by how all the players have dealt with the lockdown and training in isolation. Deja was commenting in the other thread that Squizzy looks out of shape (same as he did when he arrived at the club - so maybe that's just his physique?) - possibly he's let himself go a bit and will struggle to get back to good enough shape to play round 2. Will be a significant change to the team structure if two small forwards go out and are replaced by two different type of players. Feasible though because we would still have Papley, Gray and Hayward. Keep us unpredictable.

Your thoughts?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I tried to post this a couple of days ago but something went awry and now I'll try again.

With the resumption of the season hoving on to the horizon, the time has come to start talking about round 2. Some might say it is too early - we don't even know the opposition, the venue, the date or the rules that will apply (extended benches? interchange cap?). I say bugger that let's kick this conversation off.

Opposition

In the original fixture we were next slated to play Essendon at home at the SCG. After the season was suspended the AFL said the opponents fixtured for the next 4 rounds would remain unchanged when the season resumed, even if other things changed. However, there has been a fair bit of water under the bridge since then and I think that could easily change, and probably will. Personally I would like for our next match to be against Essendon at home because I view them as beatable and it could help us build momentum into our season.

Venue

I'm unclear what the latest is about hubs and what not. It seems there might be half a dozen teams based in Queensland (QLD, SA & WA teams). It is probable there will be a hub of some sort in Victoria. I heard some talk we might be sent to Tassie. I don't really have any idea where we'll be playing. If we can't have home ground advantage then would be good to get experience playing on the MCG, acclimatising to its dimensions etc. That said, I believe we have a pretty good record in Tassie in recent years.

Date

Compared to Friday morning when I was last writing this thread-opener, we now know the season will resume on Thursday 11 June, apparently with Collingwood v Richmond (I think I read this info was attributed to Eddie Maguire). So, only 3.5 weeks to go!

Selection

Possibly the most interesting thing we can begin discussing is selection. Ronke hyperextended his knee in Round 1 and likely won't be available and so will go out of the team. Conversely it is to be hoped that both Buddy and Hewett will be ready to go and pretty much automatic inclusions in the 22 (if there will only be 22). If that's the case then someone will have to make way. Assuming there's no form issues I would guess that would be McInerney out. Reid on the other hand doesn't look like he'll be ready to play within a month because although he's resumed running he's coming from a fair way back.

If on the other hand the bench is extended, might give opportunity to someone like Stephens, Fox, Ling, Stoddart or possibly (but hopefully not) Clarke or Thurlow.

However that thinking will be affected by how all the players have dealt with the lockdown and training in isolation. Deja was commenting in the other thread that Squizzy looks out of shape (same as he did when he arrived at the club - so maybe that's just his physique?) - possibly he's let himself go a bit and will struggle to get back to good enough shape to play round 2. Will be a significant change to the team structure if two small forwards go out and are replaced by two different type of players. Feasible though because we would still have Papley, Gray and Hayward. Keep us unpredictable.

Your thoughts?
    In regards to draw and venue, I suspect that the AFL are still trying to work through scenarios, and hoping that it won't end up like, when you think you've done a good job of assembling a complicated bit of machinery, only to realise that you still have mystery component x tucked behind your ear. I tried to run a few draw scenarios myself, but the trial and error was driving me a bit crazy.

In regards to team selection, we probably need some reliable training reports. I'm guessing that the training sessions are off limits to the general public: even dedicated RWOers?

Suspended by the MRP
    In - Franklin, Reid, Hewett
    Out - the three R's, Ronke, O'Riordan and Rowbottom

Tall fwd line with Franklin, Reid, Heeney & McCartin, but I like Buddy playing up the ground, Reid and Heeney leading out from full fwd, McCartin continuing his development against the opposition's third best defender, and Blakey on a wing. There was a game end of last yr where he was awesome, won lots of the ball up across the wing&half back, might've been against Port Adelaide or Melbourne maybe.

Let us hope for a primetime derby first up. Would like to see where we are really at so why not test ourselves against the best?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    In - Franklin, Reid, Hewett
    Out - the three R's, Ronke, O'Riordan and Rowbottom

Tall fwd line with Franklin, Reid, Heeney & McCartin, but I like Buddy playing up the ground, Reid and Heeney leading out from full fwd, McCartin continuing his development against the opposition's third best defender, and Blakey on a wing. There was a game end of last yr where he was awesome, won lots of the ball up across the wing&half back, might've been against Port Adelaide or Melbourne maybe.

Let us hope for a primetime derby first up. Would like to see where we are really at so why not test ourselves against the best?

Unless there's a form/fitness issue, no way would I drop Rowbottom. Now that COR has made the Round 1 team, I can't see him being dropped for R2 either. Can't see Reid being ready to play yet. Plus we don't need him, so why rush it? As you point out, we have enough talls without him.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Every team should almost have a full list to choose from, but quite a few players will not be match fit.

I expect quite a few upsets in round 2.

I would guess that no one will be travelling first round back, so we will be playing GWS in a derby.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Unless there's a form/fitness issue, no way would I drop Rowbottom. Now that COR has made the Round 1 team, I can't see him being dropped for R2 either. Can't see Reid being ready to play yet. Plus we don't need him, so why rush it? As you point out, we have enough talls without him.
    Was just not impressed by COR or Rowbottom's rd 1 showings. He needs to get involved more and COR looked lost at the level. Somebody has to make way for Hewett don't they

Reid is not an urgency, so i also would not object to him being eased back in.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Was just not impressed by COR or Rowbottom's rd 1 showings. He needs to get involved more and COR looked lost at the level. Somebody has to make way for Hewett don't they

Reid is not an urgency, so i also would not object to him being eased back in.
    Interesting how tastes differ. I really like COR and see him as quick, strong and one of our best kicks, usually to a player rather than another Hail Mary. I think he's doing OK.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Every team should almost have a full list to choose from, .......
    Geelong's Jack Steven? Will he be fit from his mystery stab wound to the chest?

Been fairly strongly suggested the Qld hub will play against each other for 3-4 weeks but no derbies and Port played Suns first round so that won't be one of the games. Round 5 will be in early July, lots could change for the better by then.

AFL decreed only 6 in the coaches box during games, that's a shed load of empty chairs in the Essendon box!
    Last edited by 707; 18th May 2020 at 07:39 PM.

Veterans List
    For our longer term future COR must be played to get used to the pace at senior level and to give him more confidence. Does a lot right, seems to have a good footy brain and has dash plus a good kick.

Reid might be held back until we have a KPF vacancy.

Hewett definitely comes in as does Buddy. Are benches still at 4 or did the expanded bench idea get up?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    For our longer term future COR must be played to get used to the pace at senior level and to give him more confidence. Does a lot right, seems to have a good footy brain and has dash plus a good kick.

Reid might be held back until we have a KPF vacancy.

Hewett definitely comes in as does Buddy. Are benches still at 4 or did the expanded bench idea get up?

If my memory serves me correctly, the benches will stay at 4. With a bit of flexibility in the schedule and matches fixtured in the usual timeslots of Thursday-Sunday, I'm surprised they're even sticking with the shortened quarters.

I too think COR could be good long-term player for us and ideally we get senior games into him, but he was off the boil rd 1 and we have 2 players who are guaranteed best 22 to come in, so ultimately there will be some stiff members of our victorious rd 1 team. If not O'Riordan, and Rowbottom, then who??

Senior Player
    I'd be keen to play Rowbottom for the whole season. I reckon he'll become a key midfielder for us and a shortened year will allow him to develop and consolidate. He's solid, skilful and a sublime kick. You wouldn't drop him after one lukewarm game from 8 weeks back. Blakey was virtually unsighted in Round 1 but you wouldn't drop him either. Hopefully we see the bench extended to 6, which would make sense considering a predicted dip in comp-wide fitness levels.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    I'd be keen to play Rowbottom for the whole season. I reckon he'll become a key midfielder for us and a shortened year will allow him to develop and consolidate. He's solid, skilful and a sublime kick. You wouldn't drop him after one lukewarm game from 8 weeks back. Blakey was virtually unsighted in Round 1 but you wouldn't drop him either. Hopefully we see the bench extended to 6, which would make sense considering a predicted dip in comp-wide fitness levels.
    It would be insanity to drop Rowbottom if you ask me. Like many, may well run into some 'second year blues', but some of his football for a 1st year player late on last season was very, very solid. He has all the attributes of a midfield bull - we need to be getting games into him, learning from one of the best in Kennedy while he still can (what an awful thought the Swans without Joey!). He will be up and down, but I can't see why one would possibly drop him now, unless he goes on an extended period of poor form.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast