Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2 vs Essendon

Veteran Site Admin
    Nice rundown tackle from young Reynolds in that montage. Good effort, good technique.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    * they WEREN'T training as a whole group - seemed to be about a third of the squad (approx. 14 players) and they were subdivided into two groups training at opposite ends of the field. Curious. Why wait all this time to be able to train together and understake stricter isolation measures and then not actually train all together?
    I think a number of sporting teams are taking the precaution of still not training together or even one entire part of the squad (eg forwards, defenders, mids etc) training together lest one player contract covid or has the symptoms and takes out the entire group for a minimum of a couple of weeks while they confirm the players/groups covid condition

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Good on you, bloodspirit.

I popped on to recommend the video of the match sim on the official site. A well compiled montage.

My observations from it
    - Melican looked fit and sharp. I still think he's in our best 22 and adds flexibility to our defence, freeing Aliir or Rampe to play more rebounding roles.
    - Taylor looked sharp around the stoppages. I think he'll become a useful player as his confidence comes on.
    - I remain excited to see Gould and Stephens develop with us. Both seem to have great attitudes and are developing a bond. The former looks a future leader.
    That video is good to see. It is everything that today was not. (That footage is not from today - most likely was on Friday.) I wonder if we avoided contact and hard work today because they are being extra cautious to help the players avoid injury? Perhaps Friday is the relatively full-on session and Monday the relatively lighter one?

I agree that Lewis Taylor looked good in one passage in particular. It was also encouraging to see Melican in action and taking some intercept marks although way to small a sample for me to express any opinions. Absolutely agree that it will be exciting to see all of our draftees develop - at this stage I hold out hopes for all of them, with E. Taylor being a bit of a wild card. What do you base the observation about Gould and Stephens forming a bit of a bond on, MattW? I gather they spent a little bit of time together in SA towards the end of the lockdown period, possibly with Stephens visiting Gould's family's farm??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I think a number of sporting teams are taking the precaution of still not training together or even one entire part of the squad (eg forwards, defenders, mids etc) training together lest one player contract covid or has the symptoms and takes out the entire group for a minimum of a couple of weeks while they confirm the players/groups covid condition
    That would make sense if it weren't for the fact that the video shows us the whole group played a full contact match sim last week.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Suspended by the MRP
    That video is good to see. It is everything that today was not. (That footage is not from today - most likely was on Friday.) I wonder if we avoided contact and hard work today because they are being extra cautious to help the players avoid injury? Perhaps Friday is the relatively full-on session and Monday the relatively lighter one?

I agree that Lewis Taylor looked good in one passage in particular. It was also encouraging to see Melican in action and taking some intercept marks although way to small a sample for me to express any opinions. Absolutely agree that it will be exciting to see all of our draftees develop - at this stage I hold out hopes for all of them, with E. Taylor being a bit of a wild card. What do you base the observation about Gould and Stephens forming a bit of a bond on, MattW? I gather they spent a little bit of time together in SA towards the end of the lockdown period, possibly with Stephens visiting Gould's family's farm??

- - - Updated - - -

That would make sense if it weren't for the fact that the video shows us the whole group played a full contact match sim last week.
    Could it simply be that the training days have changed? Don't forget that match simulations over the summer continued until the conclusion of pre-season, then they got into the Marsh community games. This time is a little different, as they will be going from match simulation, time trials etc virtually straight into round 2. So it's possible that the club has had to adjust the training schedule per the lead-up to the Sunday game against the Bombers.

Veterans List

I popped on to recommend the video of the match sim on the official site. A well compiled montage.

My observations from it
    - Melican looked fit and sharp. I still think he's in our best 22 and adds flexibility to our defence, freeing Aliir or Rampe to play more rebounding roles.
    - Taylor looked sharp around the stoppages. I think he'll become a useful player as his confidence comes on.
    - I remain excited to see Gould and Stephens develop with us. Both seem to have great attitudes and are developing a bond. The former looks a future leader.
    I think there are AFL rules about numbers in contact sessions, I think clubs can only do full on contact three sessions a week, obviously today was not one of them.

Gould was Captain of the SA U18's so will obviously bring that into his senior career.

Thanks for the first hand reports from training, appreciated

Senior Player

- - - Updated - - -

Re Gould and Stephens: a few little things.

There was a short video on the OS of a Gould and Stephens kicking contest at the former's farm (won by the latter to the former's annoyance).

Gould was on 'Ask a Swan' last week and mentioned he'd probably choose Stephens to drive a long distance in the sponsor's car, noting a developing friendship.

Then there's just a flash of affection right at the end the clip, which is pretty standard but stood out a little in light of the above.

Suspended by the MRP
    Re Gould and Stephens: a few little things.

There was a short video on the OS of a Gould and Stephens kicking contest at the former's farm (won by the latter to the former's annoyance).

Gould was on 'Ask a Swan' last week and mentioned he'd probably choose Stephens to drive a long distance in the sponsor's car, noting a developing friendship.

Then there's just a flash of affection right at the end the clip, which is pretty standard but stood out a little in light of the above.
    Being drafted together does seem to make certain players bond more. Will and Ollie, Liz and Rowy, now Gould and Stephens.

Veterans List

My observations from it
    Was Taylor the one with the new 'shaven sides' haircut? If so, he looked quick!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Was Taylor the one with the new 'shaven sides' haircut? If so, he looked quick!
    Yep, he certainly looked clean. He was quoted in an article last week saying that he's been working a lot with McVeigh.

Yep, he certainly looked clean. He was quoted in an article last week saying that he's been working a lot with McVeigh.
    Some of Macca's speed must have rubbed off on him?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Some of Macca's speed must have rubbed off on him?
    It was a bit of a non-sequitur. But you can look quick by reading the play well.

Veterans List
    We finally trained on the SCG today. Is there a reason why we weren't allowed on the SCG prior to today?

Has Naismith been training since we came back? I haven't noticed him in any photos or footage. I have only seen Sinclair and Knoll in the ruck.

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast