Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AFL Round 3 general discussion

Senior Player

AFL Round 3 general discussion

Thought I'd start the Round 3 general chat.

Pains me to praise the Hawks, but I thought they were very good last night, at least for 3 quarters which was enough. Lots of intent, harrying around the ball, very good defence. Denying the opposition possession really works! And when Tigers did get it, they were so rattled that they butchered it.

Some shell-shocked Tiger faces in the rooms, not used to that sort of loss. Martin may be just one man, but they're undeniably different without him. It was pointed out that a lot of the team have probably never, or rarely played without him.

Seems to be a lot of hype around Giants/Bulldogs tonight, largely based on some notion of bad blood from previous games, even though Greene not playing. I hope there's more to make the game interesting than just that.

Premiers Richmond adopt Swans game plan, and execute it to perfection! Jack Riewoldt trying to become the next Will Hayward.

We must be on the right track.

What I took out of last nights game was how important a good ruckman is to winning the game. Soldo was smashed in the first half by Ceglar (of all players) So much so that Hawthorn's midfield was totally dominant. Smith, Mitchell and O'Meara were given a free ride with first use of the ball every time. Smith in particular had almost 20 disposals up to half time. He was unbelievable.

Richmond may have to review its decision on preferring Soldo over Nankervis, because if they do the same again next week Paddy Ryder and the St Kilda midfield will be in for a day out, and we need a ruckman fit and firing as soon as possible.

Watching the dogs v giants is like watching the 2014 Grand final. Free kicks galore to the "brave" dogs.

Bailey Smith is a jet, plays like Paul Kelly. Quick , hard and skilful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Watching the dogs v giants is like watching the 2014 Grand final. Free kicks galore to the "brave" dogs.
    GWS have made fools of themselves with their faux toughness. Embarrassing performance.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think you mean the 2016 GF. Why do the Bulldogs get so many soft free kicks?? The last one at 3rd quarter time , where they got a goal was an absolute joke!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    GWS have made fools of themselves with their faux toughness. Embarrassing performance.
    Lip and cheap shots: GWS 2009-2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Bailey Smith is a jet, plays like Paul Kelly. Quick , hard and skilful.
    The top 7 picks in the 2018 draft were all great prospects. It was hard to separate them. I really liked Smith. The Bulldogs were lucky to have pick 7 and just sneak in with a great pick. Smith could easily go top 3 in most drafts.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Lip and cheap shots: GWS 2009-2020.
    Agree. And the above has never won one flag.

I only watched a quarter, but loved the way the Dogs were going about it. Aggressive pressure all over the ground. I hope we can bring some of that mongrel into our game sooner rather than later.

Veterans List
    Good to see Richmond get done, pity it was by the Hawks :-(

Great performance by the umps to completely put a Dogs win beyond doubt.

As a complete neutral (I hate both teams) you can really get an objective view of the umpiring performance. What I noticed was very 2016 GF'ish, if it was a borderline whistle, it got blown if it was a Dogs free but ignored if it was going to be a GWS free.

I think one Dogs goal was a result of three consecutive frees.

The first quarter tough act by GWS backfired.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast