Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Scratch Match Thread

Senior Player
    So earlier today I tweeted at the Swans account asking if Laidler could provide some quotes on the scratch match: https://twitter.com/mattlwood/status...140149248?s=19

They just tweeted back to say they've posted one: Laidler breaks down scratch match

Fair play to the club; a few of us have written to them seeking more reserves content and they have really picked it up.

Thanks MattW for the follow-up. This is the first of this type of more in-depth write-up for our NEAFL boys. Hope it is a regular summary with more players mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    So earlier today I tweeted at the Swans account asking if Laidler could provide some quotes on the scratch match: https://twitter.com/mattlwood/status...140149248?s=19

They just tweeted back to say they've posted one: Laidler breaks down scratch match

Fair play to the club; a few of us have written to them seeking more reserves content and they have really picked it up.
    Well done you.

Pleased that El Taylor* seems to be doing well. And that Ling is playing and not injured. Though slightly surprised that his role was lockdown small defender, as I would have said that his main attribute was his elusiveness. Still, if we manage to develop someone who can the keep small forwards quiet and hurt them on the rebound, then it can only be a good thing. Though I suppose that some would argue, that first round picks shouldn't become back pockets.

* Too early to go for the El Tel moniker?

Thanks MattW for getting that report from Laidler. Hopefully it will become a regular part of the club's website.

Deja, I think that small defender role is a good one for Ling. His quickness and agility are needed to cover these small forwards, who seem to be getting better and more numerous. One time, it was just Rioli and Betts, but now just about every side has a dangerous small forward. Ling has a pesty hardness to him as well. He's a bit like Zak Jones in that regard. I think that helps in playing that role as well. I often think that Jake Lloyd is a bit too amiable, which is why the defensive side of his game lets him down sometimes. The main thing is for him to stay fit and injury free. If he does that, I'm sure we'll find a role for him in the team.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Well done you.

Pleased that El Taylor* seems to be doing well. And that Ling is playing and not injured. Though slightly surprised that his role was lockdown small defender, as I would have said that his main attribute was his elusiveness. Still, if we manage to develop someone who can the keep small forwards quiet and hurt them on the rebound, then it can only be a good thing. Though I suppose that some would argue, that first round picks shouldn't become back pockets.

* Too early to go for the El Tel moniker?
    I feel it likely that he will be one of those rare players we refer to by their first name, i.e.as 'Elijah'.

That report from Laidler on him was so promising. Great to hear he's backing up his talent with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Thanks MattW for getting that report from Laidler. Hopefully it will become a regular part of the club's website.

Deja, I think that small defender role is a good one for Ling. His quickness and agility are needed to cover these small forwards, who seem to be getting better and more numerous. One time, it was just Rioli and Betts, but now just about every side has a dangerous small forward. Ling has a pesty hardness to him as well. He's a bit like Zak Jones in that regard. I think that helps in playing that role as well. I often think that Jake Lloyd is a bit too amiable, which is why the defensive side of his game lets him down sometimes. The main thing is for him to stay fit and injury free. If he does that, I'm sure we'll find a role for him in the team.
    Yes, I remember Ling throwing his weight around in the NEAFL last year. Which I would have been more comfortable with, if had some weight. Hopefully he's bulked up. I suspect that he'll debut in the not too distant future. And after seeing Lloyd live the last couple of weeks, I've been more impressed with some of his defensive work. Against West Coast, he even managed to stop Nic Nat from marking in the goalsquare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I feel it likely that he will be one of those rare players we refer to by their first name, i.e.as 'Elijah'.

That report from Laidler on him was so promising. Great to hear he's backing up his talent with diligence.
    Yes, perhaps him and Kirky have formed a bit of a bond.

Thanks Matt for contacting the club and getting that report out of Laids. It's encouraging to read about the development of our young lads - let's hope some break into the senior squad and thrive. I'd love to see them all given the chance, especially Ling, given his run with injuries. But our coaches know best. They'll play if and when they're ready this year. There are enough holes at the moment that need filling!

Plus one re the report from Laids.

I fear the lack of mention of Maibaum means he is not standing out as ready for a senior call up.

Veterans List
    Great response from the club and Laidler, exactly what we all wanted format wise I reckon and the news therein is pleasing, particularly given there are a lot of holes to be filled in the senior side.

A year to get senior game time into reserves players and solidify our draft position :-)

I'm picturing Ling as the next Jared Crouch from Laidler's description. Stick him onto the opposition's premier small, hassle him until he doesn't want to play anymore (Aker still has nightmares about Crouch) then burn him with a serious set of wheels!

So glad to hear Ling is finally getting a run of games - long may it continue, perhaps with a late season debut thrown in if he improves. Like they are trying to groom him into a small defender role - we are crying out to fill that gap at the moment. And he couldn't learn from anyone better than the human glove.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I think it might be that Melbourne didn’t bring their full list to Sydney.
    Confirmation of the above:

‘Demons Josh Wagner, Corey Wagner, Kade Chandler, Kyle Dunkley and Oskar Baker were among those left behind (in Melbourne). They have continued to train with the handful of club coaches and staff who have remained in Victoria.’

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...5bl9.html?btis

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast