Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Scratch Match Thread

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks barracuda. So much better than the club drivel, with no scores and not even who won!
    There sounds like some possibles in the 2s. Glad to see Bell working hard.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I remember the days (not that long ago) when some first/2nd year players would be getting forty plus disposals in the NEAFL and not getting a call up . To be considering anyone from that report other than through necessity does not really scream "earn your spot".

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Not very hard! I don't care how few people are currently in our media department, it takes 10 minutes for someone, probably Laidler, to add a playing list and a couple of notes on who played where.

U8's motherhood reporting of "pleased everyone had a dip" type stuff tells you nothing. Doesn't help us advise the MC via RWO on what changes we want in the senior team this week :-)
    LOL

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Ok here is my match report
    Game was played in 8x7.5 minute periods.

Overall my best players were: Stephens, Bell, Wicks, Armatey, Warner. Goal kickers Warner 3, Stoddart, Bell, Taylor, Stephens. Swans won 7 goals to 6.

Stephens: Wow can he find the ball, and he is tough. Great clearance work and running. There is a pretty big development area and that is disposal by foot. He seems to be tentative with passing resulting in endless missed kicks, turnovers and resulting goals to gws. he often brought some great linkage play to a standstill by miss kicks. Going to be a gun when he gets a bit more kicking confidence, and was best for the swans.

Bell: Lots of hard work and body work. Solid game

Wicks: In midfield and forward. Super clean by hand and foot, set up a number of goals. Lots of tackling pressure inside 50 including two holding the ball decisions that resulted in goal assists.

Armatey, Rucked most of the game against Jacobs. Held him ok which was well done. When Connor took over the ruck duties sauce really killed him. Armatey was a little quiet around the ground but had his hands full in the ruck.

Warner: strong and alert to any opportunity. He kicked three, with a couple finishing off some nice linkages. He also suffers from poor disposal by foot, missing targets, but definitely looks the goods.

Stoddart: Played well and what he did was clean and purposeful. Some nice clean marking with good ball movement.

Foote: Not quite as good as last week, however he provided some good running from half back and wing, and the 6 or 7 touches he got were solid with good run and spread.

Taylor: Played well but missed a number of tackles he should have made. One thing about him though, his disposal is excellent. He created a couple of goals through accurate passing into the forward line.

The following players were quiet or did not press for selection in the seniors. Fox, did a few nice things but not enough. Thurlow just looks disinterested. Maibaum ok but not much. Ling not much. Connor was quiet. He really got dominated by jacobs when in the ruck. Jacobs was getting perfect uncontested taps. Elijah was quiet. Gould struggled. His disposal was poor, and other than a great run in the dying minutes that resulted in a goal he was quiet.

What was really apparent is how poor the first years dispose by foot. I guess they need a couple of seasons to get that right.
    Thanks Barracuda, your bloods worth bottlin!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    And you’ve let them know about it on their Instagram post by the looks of it haha !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha bloody oath mate! Sick and tired of the lazy reporting by our club!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

It's a bit surprising that Stephens foot skills looked poor as from the vision I saw of him last year he looked pretty polished by foot which was something I was most excited about. Hopefully it was just a bad game.

Gould was another who was rated as a good kick last year so hope the same.

I think Warner was probably never a super skilled youngster but just a hard at it desperate type player, one type player that we've always targeted.

What we really need though is skill, we've been poor in that area for many years barring a couple of quality players so I really hope Stephens, Gould, E. Taylor and others improve fast!

Veterans List
    Thanks Barracuda, keep getting to those games on our behalf, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    It's a bit surprising that Stephens foot skills looked poor as from the vision I saw of him last year he looked pretty polished by foot which was something I was most excited about. Hopefully it was just a bad game.

Gould was another who was rated as a good kick last year so hope the same.

I think Warner was probably never a super skilled youngster but just a hard at it desperate type player, one type player that we've always targeted.

What we really need though is skill, we've been poor in that area for many years barring a couple of quality players so I really hope Stephens, Gould, E. Taylor and others improve fast!

Yes, watching them play on the weekend they were not confident with their passing kicks. As a consequence they were poking at them. So many dropped short or missed. I imagine over time they will get confident and start really banging their passes. Florent and Rowbottom can be a bit similar in that they are trying so hard to hit the target they choke the kick.

Goes up to 11
    I'd guess that whilst it's not ideal to play the same team too often, GWS have a pretty strong Reserves team so development wise, it's gotta be good for our kids to come up against them. Potentially the underwhelming disposals were at least in part due to strong pressure from a strong opposition? It must set our young 'uns up on a decent learning curve and be good preparation for the real thing....

Regular in the Side
    Thanks again barracuda. I remember before the draft one review stated Dylan Stephens as being lightining quick with a big tank and elite disposal by either foot and having played for Norwood in the SANFL also used to playing against mature bodies despite lack of size. Would have expected him to be standing out much more in the scratch matches and disappointed to hear of his poor kicking skills. Maybe SANFL form is not all that good. Jordan Foote was apparently Woodville-West Torrens best player last year after being delisted by us.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Thanks again barracuda. I remember before the draft one review stated Dylan Stephens as being lightining quick with a big tank and elite disposal by either foot and having played for Norwood in the SANFL also used to playing against mature bodies despite lack of size. Would have expected him to be standing out much more in the scratch matches and disappointed to hear of his poor kicking skills. Maybe SANFL form is not all that good. Jordan Foote was apparently Woodville-West Torrens best player last year after being delisted by us.
    That draft review is pretty spot on from what I have seen. The games against GWS have been pretty intense. Some of the guys in the GWS squad are very big, fast and skilled. If you miss a kick they pretty much kill you on the rebound everytime. I think guys like stephens are a bit careful as they adjust. I don't think it will be too long before stephens starts to relax a bit and allow his skills to come to the fore. I think he has a very bright future.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thanks from me too Barra. Is Maibaum injured?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast