Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 57

Thread: AFL Round 4 general discussion

  1. #1

    AFL Round 4 general discussion

    I want to kick off the thread with this quote from Titus O'Reily:

    "To win the premiership this year, you need to be less Usain Bolt, more Steven Bradbury."

    Nice. If he's right, maybe we're in with a chance.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  2. #2
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    1,185
    Essendon. The gift that keeps giving.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I want to kick off the thread with this quote from Titus O'Reily:

    "To win the premiership this year, you need to be less Usain Bolt, more Steven Bradbury."

    Nice. If he's right, maybe we're in with a chance.
    While its fun to laugh at Essendon stuffing things up again, imagine if a +ive test came back the day before the grand final. Chaos!

  4. #4
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    15,283
    Impressive game by Tom Green tonight especially near the end when the game was up for grabs (the other T.Greene was outstanding). Hope we knew what we were doing when we didn’t bid on him last year. Not that I think the Giants would have not matched the bid

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Impressive game by Tom Green tonight especially near the end when the game was up for grabs (the other T.Greene was outstanding). Hope we knew what we were doing when we didn’t bid on him last year. Not that I think the Giants would have not matched the bid
    I can only think that either or both:

    * We knew we wouldn't get him and we wanted to make Stephens first choice and generally create the vibe that we got our boy; or

    * There was some kind of shenanigans to do with keeping GWS on side.

    I think much more likely the first. However if we just didn't rate Green enough, or didn't see him fitting our needs, I am really dismayed with our recruiters. At least we don't need to feel sad that we missed out because, as you say, GWS would unquestionably have matched any bid.

    ***

    My other observation is that 'they' said it, and 'they'were right. This season is proving to be a lot about managing injuries. A lot of them happening including really cruel ones like Naismith, and also Howe. One reason I think that we are likely to see more of our list over the season. Then again perhaps also a reason why we're hesitating to play young and underdone players?

  6. #6
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,966
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I can only think that either or both:

    * We knew we wouldn't get him and we wanted to make Stephens first choice and generally create the vibe that we got our boy; or

    * There was some kind of shenanigans to do with keeping GWS on side.

    I think much more likely the first. However if we just didn't rate Green enough, or didn't see him fitting our needs, I am really dismayed with our recruiters. At least we don't need to feel sad that we missed out because, as you say, GWS would unquestionably have matched any bid.

    ***

    My other observation is that 'they' said it, and 'they'were right. This season is proving to be a lot about managing injuries. A lot of them happening including really cruel ones like Naismith, and also Howe. One reason I think that we are likely to see more of our list over the season. Then again perhaps also a reason why we're hesitating to play young and underdone players?
    Green is, physically, more ready to play AFL. Also, as a GWS academy player, you'd expect he's more familiar and comfortable being around an AFL club.

    Too early to make a call on the wisdom of the drafting, in my view.

  7. #7
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Blaxland
    Posts
    910
    Thought that was match of the year so far. Two very talented teams having a real crack. GWS a far more formidable opponent with Toby Greene on the paddock. Parts of the ground resembled a paddock too.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

  8. #8
    Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Doughnuts don't wear alligator shoes
    Posts
    2,953
    Gws make it very difficult to barrack for them, even against Collingwood. Greene is such a grub

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Green is, physically, more ready to play AFL. Also, as a GWS academy player, you'd expect he's more familiar and comfortable being around an AFL club.

    Too early to make a call on the wisdom of the drafting, in my view.
    I don't think we'd be saying that if green was a swan. Looks a gun.
    We may not have prised him from GWS but we should have prised a couple of first round picks from them for the pick upgrade that would have got him.
    Another miss in my opinion.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I don't think we'd be saying that if green was a swan. Looks a gun.
    I presume you’re referring to Toby? Well, he’s not a Swan. And until he is, he’s a grub.

    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We may not have prised him from GWS but we should have prised a couple of first round picks from them for the pick upgrade that would have got him.
    Another miss in my opinion.
    We’re talking about Tom now? Trading doesn’t always get you what you ideally want. It’s easy to orchestrate the perfect imaginary deal from the cheap seats. It’s entirely different to execute it at the trade table.

  11. #11
    Tom Green, not Toby Greene with an extra e, didle, didle, didle, dum..

  12. #12
    He's Toby Greene , deedle eedle eedle um
    With an extra 'e', deedle eedle eedle um
    Wherever he goes through rain and snow
    The people always let him know:
    There's Toby Greene, deedle eedle eedle um
    With his extra 'e' deedle eedle eedle um

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO