Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 49 to 57 of 57

Thread: AFL Round 4 general discussion

  1. #49
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post


    I have to say, I am in awe of Matt Rowell. It's unbelievable what he's come in and started doing as a first year player! Has this ever happened before? Sure it's only three games and it will be interesting to see how long he can keep it up but it's still incredible. He has single-handedly turned GCS around. Suddenly all their other talent makes them look like a dangerous team - but they've always had a lot of talented players and they've never before looked so dangerous. Still expecting them to fade a bit as the year goes on. They won at least 3 of their first 4 games last year. But they are surely going to do a fair bit better than last year.

    If the Suns can surge up the ladder it's also going to make a few of their trading decisions look a bit smarter.
    I saw Carl Ditterich play his first game in the 60s. Teenage ruckman, and quite brilliant. He totally dominated the game. Had a pretty good career too.

  2. #50
    On the veteran's list
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Swans Heartland
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I saw Carl Ditterich play his first game in the 60s. Teenage ruckman, and quite brilliant. He totally dominated the game. Had a pretty good career too.
    Absolute thug
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

  3. #51
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Blaxland
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    All good posts - especially yours, neilfws!

    As Gil said: "What would I know?"
    Gotta love Clarko's lack of self-awareness. Based on one game and another that he didn't see, not paying enough HTB frees is making the game ugly. Hawthorn under Clarkson have done more than any other club to sully the aesthetics of the game.

    Three men in a ruck contest. Thanks Hawthorn, that was really ugly.

    Shepherding and nudging the man on the mark. (Why is this not illegal?) Ugly.

    The 2008 GF where Hawthorn won in the most unsportsmanlike manner by rushing behinds at every opportunity. Ugly.

    Its President Jeff Kennett. Ugly.

    Those hideous fookin' hawthorn jumpers. Ugly!
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

  4. #52
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,351
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post


    I have to say, I am in awe of Matt Rowell. It's unbelievable what he's come in and started doing as a first year player! Has this ever happened before? Sure it's only three games and it will be interesting to see how long he can keep it up but it's still incredible. He has single-handedly turned GCS around. Suddenly all their other talent makes them look like a dangerous team - but they've always had a lot of talented players and they've never before looked so dangerous. Still expecting them to fade a bit as the year goes on. They won at least 3 of their first 4 games last year. But they are surely going to do a fair bit better than last year.

    If the Suns can surge up the ladder it's also going to make a few of their trading decisions look a bit smarter.
    Though strangely, since I wrote that, it looks like I should get the chance of seeing the Swans at Metricon, when they're not actually playing the Suns. Although, as far as I know, the club hasn't contacted us Queensland members about ticket availability.

  5. #53
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,351
    Happily, while writing the above post, I got an email saying that ticket registration opens at 9am tomorrow. Now all that has to happen, is for us to play like we did against North.

  6. #54
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,351
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Gotta love Clarko's lack of self-awareness. Based on one game and another that he didn't see, not paying enough HTB frees is making the game ugly. Hawthorn under Clarkson have done more than any other club to sully the aesthetics of the game.

    Three men in a ruck contest. Thanks Hawthorn, that was really ugly.

    Shepherding and nudging the man on the mark. (Why is this not illegal?) Ugly.

    The 2008 GF where Hawthorn won in the most unsportsmanlike manner by rushing behinds at every opportunity. Ugly.

    Its President Jeff Kennett. Ugly.

    Those hideous fookin' hawthorn jumpers. Ugly!
    I don't think that I've watched a Hawthorn game this season? Is this year's incarnation of the mustard on turd, particularly good at tackling?

  7. #55
    Revisor of revisionisms Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Hornsby - The Bushland Shire
    Posts
    2,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    The data is probably spot on and I cant for the life of me see why increasing of the holding the ball free is going to free up play. All it does is allow the defence to get reset down the line.
    Paying more holding the ball frees would be in Clarko's interest, and it does allow the defence to reset.
    But a sequence of non decisions, where a tackle takes place the ball remains in contention and neither an incorrect disposal or incorrect tackle is paid, simply turns the game into an ugly rolling mall, and draws more and more players in to the congestion.
    The only solution, as recommended by Don Jolley is remove the equivocation caused by "prior opportunity" and "he made an attempt" interpretations and umpire the game according to the rules.
    Unfortunately to implement such a thing would be politically brave, and therefore unlikely to happen, because whining about umpiring decisions is so popular and the AFL is generally extremely spineless / sensitive to criticism.

  8. #56
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,538
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I don't think that I've watched a Hawthorn game this season? Is this year's incarnation of the mustard on turd, particularly good at tackling?
    Their alternative jumper on the weekend looked half decent. But they will revert back to that [email protected]@@@ poos and wees uniform this week.

  9. #57
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Absolute thug
    He didn't start that way...got loose later at Melbourne as he aged. But a brilliant player.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Absolute thug
    He didn't start that way...got loose later at Melbourne as he aged. But a brilliant player.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO