Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 4 Swans vs Bulldogs Thur 25-Jun at SCG #AFLSwansDogs

Some glass half full in all this doom and gloom

Mcinerney this guy to me has some footy smarts and is very clean . Worth preserving with and getting as many games into him this year . He does need a decent summer in the gym though .

McLean bit to like here shows some glimpses and I like the physicality he brings to the table . Big forwards take a lot longer and he’s only been in the system a short while . Could see him taking a game by the scruff of the neck in the future .

Mills just give the guy a decent crack in the midfield and see what he brings . I liked the short glimpse we got going head to head with the Bont .

That’s it not much else to even get remotely excited about except on that well below par effort we really should have been beaten by 50 plus points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I don’t if I posted this on here or texted it to a friend but I mentioned last night, have we wasted years of midfield development by playing him back all this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Short answer: Yes

A lot of the criticism of individual players is valid, but consideration has to be given to the limited preparation and the ongoing training restrictions. These will have a greater impact on a young team trying to gel. I will make one specific comment on a player, Harry Cunningham, who has been way off his game, especially his kicking. I think this is indicative of the effect this COVID season has had on some in the playing group. I'm not saying that Harry is a bad player, only that he's off his game at the moment. There are many in the same boat.

I liked Sam Naismith from a long way back, and thought he would be our main ruckman for a decade, but his body has never been up to the task. It's sad. It happens. We have to face the fact that his career is over.

This season is the season that never was. We can just forget about it. It's a long drawn out training session. We were never going to compete for the COVID Cup anyway, so let's not have a boilover about it and focus on the future. We have a lot of shuffling to do and we can use the next 13 games to try things out and get some development into the group.

We don't have a ruckman and shouldn't even bother about getting one. We will have to fashion our game around a group of forward-rucks. As of now, that looks to be Sinclair, Aliir and Amartey. We might be able to add Reid to the list, during those rare times when he's not injured. We will see if we can add to the list at the season's end. Perhaps Joe Daniher is back on the table to play as our main ruckman. In any case, we should plan on being a no ruckman team. That albatross around our neck has flown away. I don't think McLean will make it, but I haven't given up on him either. And it's not worth thinking too much about Knoll.

The other big problem facing the Swans is that we don't have a forward line. We have a lot of backmen, so it may be time to try Aliir up forward again. Maybe he's really our #1 ruckman and we just forget about Sinclair.

I've always wanted to play Mills in the midfield, so let's do it now. Hayward down back is an idea worth pursuing. He hasn't done much up forward. He has talent. It will take some time.

Maybe a lineup something like this could be a go. There will be a lot of experimentation this season.

B: Gould, Melican, Rampe
    HB: Ling, Blakey, Hayward
    C: Florent, Parker, Hewett
    HF: Lloyd, Heeney, Dawson
    FF: Papley, McCartin, Stoddart
    Foll: Mills, Aliir, Kennedy

IC: COR, Stephens, Rowbottom, Mcinerney

We should finish low enough on the ladder to pick up a key forward with our first pick in the draft, then take Campbell and Gulden.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    A lot of the criticism of individual players is valid, but consideration has to be given to the limited preparation and the ongoing training restrictions. These will have a greater impact on a young team trying to gel. I will make one specific comment on a player, Harry Cunningham, who has been way off his game, especially his kicking. I think this is indicative of the effect this COVID season has had on some in the playing group. I'm not saying that Harry is a bad player, only that he's off his game at the moment. There are many in the same boat.

I liked Sam Naismith from a long way back, and thought he would be our main ruckman for a decade, but his body has never been up to the task. It's sad. It happens. We have to face the fact that his career is over.

This season is the season that never was. We can just forget about it. It's a long drawn out training session. We were never going to compete for the COVID Cup anyway, so let's not have a boilover about it and focus on the future. We have a lot of shuffling to do and we can use the next 13 games to try things out and get some development into the group.

We don't have a ruckman and shouldn't even bother about getting one. We will have to fashion our game around a group of forward-rucks. As of now, that looks to be Sinclair, Aliir and Amartey. We might be able to add Reid to the list, during those rare times when he's not injured. We will see if we can add to the list at the season's end. Perhaps Joe Daniher is back on the table to play as our main ruckman. In any case, we should plan on being a no ruckman team. That albatross around our neck has flown away. I don't think McLean will make it, but I haven't given up on him either. And it's not worth thinking too much about Knoll.

The other big problem facing the Swans is that we don't have a forward line. We have a lot of backmen, so it may be time to try Aliir up forward again. Maybe he's really our #1 ruckman and we just forget about Sinclair.

I've always wanted to play Mills in the midfield, so let's do it now. Hayward down back is an idea worth pursuing. He hasn't done much up forward. He has talent. It will take some time.

Maybe a lineup something like this could be a go. There will be a lot of experimentation this season.

B: Gould, Melican, Rampe
    HB: Ling, Blakey, Hayward
    C: Florent, Parker, Hewett
    HF: Lloyd, Heeney, Dawson
    FF: Papley, McCartin, Stoddart
    Foll: Mills, Aliir, Kennedy

IC: COR, Stephens, Rowbottom, Mcinerney

We should finish low enough on the ladder to pick up a key forward with our first pick in the draft, then take Campbell and Gulden.
    Yes. That’s the idea. I’m glad you think the basis of my team would be worth experimenting with.

Maybe as we develop the new midfield we play Kennedy forward more too.

The more I think about it I’m convinced we should make Aliir our primary ruckman. He has been out of sorts with his defensive play and disposal decisions have been poor. But he is very mobile with a good leap and his second efforts and tackling have always been good when he has rucked. That way his disposal doesn’t really matter so much. I think he would have been a better match around the ground for English last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We don't have a ruckman and shouldn't even bother about getting one..... In any case, we should plan on being a no ruckman team.
    Your intense lobbying of Horse and the entire swans leadership team has finally born fruit. I dont know how many all-expenses trips to Thailand and visits to some less than scrupulous establishments in Bangkok it took, and to be honest, I dont want to know.

I think we saw the consequences of that in the coaches box last night when ruck-coach Dean Cox said to Horse in an animated way: "Why am I even here?"

Horse had no response. We are down the rabbit burrow, and there is no turning back now. Keep digging

Who is our behinds coach? Someone buy them a slab!!
    Oh dear.
    Especially after, and in spite of, the day that poor little joey just had, I'm very disappointed they didn't carry my joey off the field at the end of the game. That they didn't dig, really deep and pull one out for Joey is very disappointing as well. At the SCG too. Shame swannies, for shame.
    Old man buddy needs to be back. He can just stand in the goal square and draw four defenders. Leaves Papps free to kick 15 goals a game.
    Pinhead is probably better in the ruck.
    Alliir? WTF?
    The whole first quarter? WTF?
    Catch up footy rarely works. Make a note of that Horse.
    I'm too upset to talk about it. This has hurt me harder than a grand final loss.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Did anyone else find it notable the discussion from Horse at the start of his presser regarding Beverage mentioning the precise nature of Sam's injury at his presser...

Seems like he was making a clear assertion that someone from within the Swans was discussing things they shouldnt with the opposition team. Curious.

Senior Player
    There was rumour on twitter before his press conference too. It may have been a leak or it may have been an astute observer of the tv coverage

Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post
    Did anyone else find it notable the discussion from Horse at the start of his presser regarding Beverage mentioning the precise nature of Sam's injury at his presser...

Seems like he was making a clear assertion that someone from within the Swans was discussing things they shouldnt with the opposition team. Curious.
    I didn’t take it that way - more that Longmire was surprised and perhaps annoyed that an opposition coach took it upon himself to announce an injury to a Swans player.

I don’t think it was appropriate that Beveridge did that (even Sam’s family might not have known at that stage) but I accept that it was a spontaneous comment made sympathetically.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Your intense lobbying of Horse and the entire swans leadership team has finally born fruit. I dont know how many all-expenses trips to Thailand and visits to some less than scrupulous establishments in Bangkok it took, and to be honest, I dont want to know.

I think we saw the consequences of that in the coaches box last night when ruck-coach Dean Cox said to Horse in an animated way: "Why am I even here?"

Horse had no response. We are down the rabbit burrow, and there is no turning back now. Keep digging
    Poor Horse. He looked so forlorn in his presser.

We have wasted so much time and effort the past half dozen years on building a team around a ruckman only to be left with an empty bag. Look at the NBA. Teams used to be built around a Center, like Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar. You don't see that any more. The Golden State Warriors played mostly without a Center in their championship years. And we are talking about a game with only 5 men on the court. AFL has 18; are we really going to place our hopes on one 18th of the team? It's make or break around this one player? It's a historical anomaly. We need to move past it.

We have a club stocked with a lot of fine young talent. I don't know what the right combination of players will be, but let's play them and find out.

The time has come for the Swans to go from Luckless to Ruckless. Let the new era begin.

Senior Player
    Its understandable getting emotional after a loss, but hopefully just an aberration. They turned it on last week, last night they were off, yet showed signs of what they are capable of, and still in the game with 5-10 mins to go even though they played poorly for most of it. There's a number of factors at play, young side, short turnaround, a backline that is now without three of its stars. I think we'll need some patience. There's some good things going on too though.

Awful news about Sam. Some players have no luck.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    There was rumour on twitter before his press conference too. It may have been a leak or it may have been an astute observer of the tv coverage
    Surely the opposition have someone watching the Swans bench? That’s one way they can tell if there’s an interchange error. And if that guy saw the Swans Doc go to Naismith, surely it’s not inconceivable that they would alert their own frizzy headed doc who could very easily see that our Doc was performing a Lachman’s test (that’s the only one they televised but I expect for due diligence they would have done an anterior draw and a pivot shift), but from the Lachman’s alone it’s a dead giveaway that they suspect a knee. Body language might give away any suspicions.