Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rd. 5 vs West Coast Eagles

Brand is unavailable
    He "hurt himself in the final session and couldnt get up for the game" which is 3 weeks min at Sydney

In: Melican, Gray
    Out: Naismith, Blakey

Hayward to try a more midfield or defensive role.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Given how important it is to rebound quickly out of defence, especially when you have an undersized forward line, I feel we need to free Aliir and Rampe from tackling the big KF. Aliir is much better playing loose, intercepting attacking forays and Rampe can be potent with his run and carry, finished off with a penetrating left boot. Plus Aliir then more able to give a chop out in the ruck. Would it not be worth trying 2 of Melican, Brand and Maibaum to match up on Darling and Kennedy? Our back half could look like Melican, Brand (if fit), Aliir, Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham. Mills plays out of the middle, Dawson on a wing / HF.

Ins Melican Brand (Maibaum) McCartain
    Outs Naismith Fox Hayward
    +1
    This also has been my thinking with our defensive structure & where players might be best suited for their game/team. With Brand still being unavailable, Maibaum comes into selection consideration as the 3rd tall. McCartin and McLean being our tall targets up forward, with the latter also able to provide as a ruck chop out alongside Allir in assisting Sinclair. Not sure where Knoll is at with his injury recovery, but look forward to see him being given a decent run in Naismith's absence.

My only point of difference is Blakey going out instead of Hayward, who appears to be suffering from the 2nd year blues. Agree with Longmile above for Hayward to be given more of a midfield/defensive role to see if it helps improves his game.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    IN: Stoddart; Melican; Gray
    OUT: Fox; Naismith; Blakey

There is no point persevering with Fox in that running defender role - too many mistakes under pressure and I just don't see the improvement. He reminds me of Rose/Brandon Jack in his apparent fear of taking possession. I also think there is a pretty low ceiling on O'Riordan, although I understand that may be a minority view - too many kicking and awareness errors at the top level. So let's give Stoddart a go - properly, for at least a few weeks. He's been an emergency the last couple of games. I note barracuda's comment that he is not AFL standard, but it's his third year and I think it's time to give him another shot.

Either McCartin or Melican in for Naismith. I went for Melican to play on either Darling or Kennedy, while Rampe takes the other. I can't see Aliir really matching either for body strength. But, we might need him to match up on one if Ryan gets loose against... *checks notes* ... Cunningham(?) and Rampe needs to take Ryan. The absence of a shut-down small defender in the Smith mould is a real liability. Please not Mills, he's a decent loose man type defender, but it's actually kind of painful to watch him defend one-on-one and Ryan will be too quick and the others too big. (Of course, John's comments in today's presser are not cause for optimism although he did readily acknowledge Mills played well in midfield.) I notice Brand is listed as injured for the next two weeks. Looks like we're waiting for O'Connor.

Again, suspect this is a minority view, but Blakey looks really lost and down on confidence at the moment, and in my view needs a spell and a chance to build confidence playing at reserves level. It worked last year. Gray needs to up his work-rate, but at least he's a good kick and smart with the ball (yes, when he gets it).
    Grey did not play last week and his average possessions are far greater than Hayward & Blakey put together. I think you mix him up with Taylor, averaging disposals.

Fox as far as I am concerned was no worse than most last week. In fact I thought him OK and he did try things. As for him not taking possession well that may have been because all our players were under the pump as soon as they got the ball as Dogs fought in packs. We did not protect the man with the ball, something we are renowned for not doing. We do not shepherd. We do not practice shepherding at training. Both Roos & Longmire are not fans of the shepherd. They believe the man doing the team thing could be used as an extra receiver. That is all good if you don't have a team hunting you in packs. Then it comes unstuck. Lost us two GF.

I think Hayward, Taylor, Blakey, O'Riordan are needing to get some form up. Naismith is injured. Sinclair will get slaughtered by NicNat. We tried Aliir against him some time back and he was quite good. Matched him for athleticism. But we need Aliir back. So it looks like Sinclair & McLean. Too many of our players are up and down in form. Some are not running both ways, being lazy. We need to fix our contested footy and set plays. They were non existant against Dogs.

I think we NEED to make some drastic changes.

In: Out of McCartin, Gould, Stephens, Ling, Wicks, Bell

Out: Naismith, Hayward, Blakey, O'Riordan, Taylor

We are not going to win a premiership this year so let's play some youngsters and watch them develop. I would love to know how the Scratch Match went as that would be an indicator as to which players are ready to go.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Please not Melican. As loose as granny's teeth and gives NO run out of the backline.
    Nico, not all defenders are running defenders. Smithy & Reg certainly were not. Every team needs hard lock down defenders like them. The unfortunate thing is I believe Melican is unsuited to playing on the monsters. He is more comfortable playing on the players Rampe generally gets. Brand is better suited to the monsters. But in reality neither Kennedy nor Darling are monsters. But they do play a second ruck. So Brand, if fit may come back.

We have to look at O'Riordan's role. He looks out of sorts. His normal role in the reserves has been as a running defender or mid. Now he is being asked to play the Smithy role as a lock down defender. I think he is highly unsuited to this role and gets totally out positioned. I believe Fox would be far more suited ala Sydney Stack at Richmond. Both take species, both lock down really well and both are pretty good in a tight spot. I think Colin is not any of those. What's more on the small, big marking targets like Ryan I think Fox is far more suited as he can match them in the air. O'Riordan cannot.

Last edited by wolftone57; 2nd July 2020 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Out: take your pick - McLean, Blakey, Taylor, Fox, Ronke, McInerney, Hayward, Cunningham

In: anyone who can perform for more than a quarter and a half. and who actually give a damn about the jumper they're wearing and the great club it represents.
    I think you are a bit hard on Ronke. His forward pressure was good. He looked a bit rusty but I think after a game under his belt he will be much better. You must remember the reserves did not have a hit out the week before so his game was going to be a bit out of sync. McLean did not do a lot wrong. The ball was coming down like like a Dresden Donut. Some of the worst delivery to a forward line ever. Not to mention the fact it hardly went in there in the first half (19 times).

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Nico, not all defenders are running defenders. Smithy & Reg certainly were not. Every team needs hard lock down defenders like them. The unfortunate thing is I belive Melican is unsuited to playing on the monsters. He is more comfortable playing on the players Rampe generally gets. Brand is better suited to the monsters. But in reality neither Kennedy nor Darling are monsters. But they do play a second ruck. So Brand, if fit may come back.

We have to look at O'Riordan's role. He looks out of sorts. His normal role in the reserves has been as a running defender or mid. Now he is being asked to play the Smithy role as a lock down defender ala Smithy. I think he is highly unsuited to this role and gets totally out positioned. I believe Fox would be far more suited ala Sydney Stack at Richmond. Both take species, both lick downrealky well and both are pretty good in a tight spot. I think Colin is not any of those. What's more on the small, big marking targets like Ryan I think Fox is far more suited as he can match them in the air. O'Riordan cannot.

Interesting observations

In. McCartin, Melican
    Out. Naismith, Fox

Hoping McCartin is fit and Melican can show some form even though it doesn’t sound like he is firing in the ressies. Changes needed for team balance. Thought fox looked terrible even though I’d hoped he could take the nick smith role. Aliir not working as a man on man defender. Another tall in defence could release aliir into the mills playmaker role. Liked the look of mills on the ball and Hayward into defence as a runner. Why we couldn’t recruit a cheap nick smith replacement instead of multiple fwd/mids who aren’t two way runners I don’t know. Our season rests on Reid getting fit. Someone (please) from stoddart/ling/oriordan/Hayward standing up. Someone from ronke/Taylor/gray doing well at 25% tine in midfield. Melican/brand solidifying as a tall stopper. Our solid performers are plugging too many gaps at the moment.

WCE as a team are way out of form this year. Both Kennedy and Darling are having a poor start to the year. So we have 2 teams that are both out of form playing each other. Who knows what will happen? The team that works the hardest is likely to win, but who knows in this crazy season which players will be up to the task and which team will click as a coordinated unit, if either.

I don't care who comes into the side this week, although I would like to see a couple of new faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    WCE as a team are way out of form this year. Both Kennedy and Darling are having a poor start to the year. So we have 2 teams that are both out of form playing each other. Who knows what will happen? The team that works the hardest is likely to win, but who knows in this crazy season which players will be up to the task and which team will click as a coordinated unit, if either.

I don't care who comes into the side this week, although I would like to see a couple of new faces.
    I predict we will go alright. Only on the basis that so many teams are working on a 'week on' 'week off' timetable it seems, and we were rank off last week, so due to be back on tomorrow. WCE have been utterly awful this year, but with our ruck looking a mess, Nic Nat should give their midfield good service you'd think.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

True. But last week our midfield looked like they didn’t know how to rove for a ruckman winning the tap. With Sinclair back in the hit outs we will be back to normal service

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Hounsell View Post
    In. McCartin, Melican
    Out. Naismith, Fox

Hoping McCartin is fit and Melican can show some form even though it doesn’t sound like he is firing in the ressies. Changes needed for team balance. Thought fox looked terrible even though I’d hoped he could take the nick smith role. Aliir not working as a man on man defender. Another tall in defence could release aliir into the mills playmaker role. Liked the look of mills on the ball and Hayward into defence as a runner. Why we couldn’t recruit a cheap nick smith replacement instead of multiple fwd/mids who aren’t two way runners I don’t know. Our season rests on Reid getting fit. Someone (please) from stoddart/ling/oriordan/Hayward standing up. Someone from ronke/Taylor/gray doing well at 25% tine in midfield. Melican/brand solidifying as a tall stopper. Our solid performers are plugging too many gaps at the moment.
    Well put CH- another very good player wearing No 23!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast