Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Changes for Rd. 5 vs West Coast Eagles

form
    fitness
    game sense
    etc

but matchups also make a significant difference for blooding a player in AFL

if you get a shot to debut and it is primarily against another emerging player or you have him for speed and or reach etc you may get a shot

beat your player and if all 22 do its hard to loose week in week out
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Not thrilled about the team selections.

COR and Melican make sense and offer a bit however we know what Gray and Clarke can do, not a lot.

Would have much preferred someone like Warner, Gould or Stephens be given a run.

Hayward should consider himself lucky. I did like how he looked playing now back, so if he is in the team he needs to play behind the ball.

Senior Player
    Selections seem a bit all over the place, not a fan of the weekly switching in and out of the same old players, when favoured underperformers don't get the same treatment. I think it's particularly important in this season that the players get some continuity into their game.

The criticisms of recruits Taylor and Gray after a couple of games each is well over the top, Taylor has been far from our worse, and I'd like Gray to have a few games to settle in.

The calls for upgrading all of the rookies is a little premature when we really have no idea how they are travelling at "scratch match" level

Injuries to the rucks is unfortunate, but the team balance is much better this week, we should have much more run than against the Dogs

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I saw a few Swans standing in Bronte pool yesterday, presumably for the benefits the cool water has for their muscles. Hayden McLean was wearing a puffy down jacket but only knee deep in the water. Reminded me of the time I saw Aliir there for an "icy" recovery swim and he lasted less than 60 seconds even though the water was about 18 degrees. Anyway I said g'day and wished them well for the game. I asked Lewis Melican why he hadn't been playing and he said he had been out of form. I asked him whether he felt daunted to be picked while he was out of form which got a laugh from the others (not my intention) and he clarified that he had had some recent good form since his earlier poorer form. So hopefully that bodes well.
    You were allowed to get close enough to talk to them?? Don't let the AFL find out!

Those posters who bagged out Rowbottom after the Essendon loss should be hanging their heads. He's all class. Very promising young player. I love him.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Those posters who bagged out Rowbottom after the Essendon loss should be hanging their heads. He's all class. Very promising young player. I love him.
    Was anyone bagging him out? I don't recall. I stated he was a good young player but he would never be a superstar, and I stand by that. He will never dominate a game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Was anyone bagging him out? I don't recall. I stated he was a good young player but he would never be a superstar, and I stand by that. He will never dominate a game.
    Sorry to disagree but his in and under work can break games open. Just needs a few mates to get onboard. Has a lot of potential and I think he is only just getting started

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Sorry to disagree but his in and under work can break games open. Just needs a few mates to get onboard. Has a lot of potential and I think he is only just getting started

I would concur with all that,, but he has only had two games with 20+ possessions. Hardly dominant. Now look at what players of a similar age have done .. Walsh, Rowell, Smith, Taranto, Worpel, Hopper all in their first or second years had managed plenty like that. That is superstar material. Doing some nice things en route to a 15 possession game is not.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

Them's my view too.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I'm jumping on the NOBt-train

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I would concur with all that,, but he has only had two games with 20+ possessions. Hardly dominant. Now look at what players of a similar age have done .. Walsh, Rowell, Smith, Taranto, Worpel, Hopper all in their first or second years had managed plenty like that. That is superstar material. Doing some nice things en route to a 15 possession game is not.
    All those you mention were top 10 draft picks. He was not. It will take him a little longer because he is less developed. All of those are also older than he is their draft years. They were top age not bottom age. All of them were far more physically developed for their roles. Walsh is not non and under player. He might play inside mid but he plays the inside receiver role more often than not.

Rowell is just a freak. Smith? Must have missed that one. Not Devon? Archie? Taranto and Worpol are both much bigger as in around 190 and again older in their first year.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456