Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Goodesy and Magic

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Notice there is mediation proposed between Winmar and Newman, Scott and Sheehan. If I was Winmar, I wouldn't bother nor be so generous.
    This is because Winmar has rightly sued the three.....the mediation is part of that process.
    I hope he makes them pay.....

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Exactly. Why listen when you can just make stuff up, take things out of context and get stuck in.
    Yet his bigotry is on the record many times over. Life's too short to be wasted on that guy.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Veterans List
    I listen to the podcast all of the time and it is fantastic.

They absolutely said nothing wrong and it is a joke they have been smashed for this.

You may not like or agree with Sam Newman, that's fine, don't listen to him. The fact people constantly have to talk about him and go out of their way tell the world how bad he is frustrates me. Most of the time it is purely aligned to their political views.
    So we stop calling out bigotry and racism in the hope that it just magically goes away (like the virus)?😒

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Some things are called political, but really aren't. I mean, really, how did wearing a face mask become aligned to left or right politics. Same with racism, same with climate change.

Those who have those views try to frame it as politics to hide behind the rights of free speech.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but more importantly, everyone has a RESPONSIBILITY to make it an informed opinion.
    Spot on Barry.👍

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation Deja. I wasn't aware of this one. I'm a big fan of The Deadly Kerfuffle; thought it was brilliant.
    Err, at the risk of sounding pedantic, you're mixing up Tony Wilson and Tony Martin. But hey, I saw a few cheap copies of The Deadly Kerfuffle, the other day. Since you're recommending it, I might grab a copy.

Senior Player
    I listen to the podcast all of the time and it is fantastic.

They absolutely said nothing wrong and it is a joke they have been smashed for this.

You may not like or agree with Sam Newman, that's fine, don't listen to him. The fact people constantly have to talk about him and go out of their way tell the world how bad he is frustrates me. Most of the time it is purely aligned to their political views.
    Do you have an opinion on his bullying and abuse of Goodes on national television? Or his blackface mocking Winmar? Calling out racism is not political, it's just common decency.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Do you have an opinion on his bullying and abuse of Goodes on national television? Or his blackface mocking Winmar? Calling out racism is not political, it's just common decency.
    Yes I do.

Goodes was definitely bullied. It was unacceptable and a big shame. I don’t believe it was racist. Not interested in opening that debate again though.

Blackface unacceptable as we all agree.

Nothing wrong with calling out racism but it has become political. People with agendas have hijacked this. As they have done in the States with BLM.

Bega cheese, Captain Cook, Ben Boyd Road, Redskins, Chicos, heck even the game of chess have all recently been declared ‘racist’.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Err, at the risk of sounding pedantic, you're mixing up Tony Wilson and Tony Martin. But hey, I saw a few cheap copies of The Deadly Kerfuffle, the other day. Since you're recommending it, I might grab a copy.
    Ha! Yes I am. Apologies. And not to be confused with the Factory Records Tony Wilson.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.

Senior Player
    Yes I do.

Goodes was definitely bullied. It was unacceptable and a big shame. I don’t believe it was racist. Not interested in opening that debate again though.

Nothing wrong with calling out racism but it has become political. People with agendas have hijacked this. As they have done in the States with BLM.

Bega cheese, Captain Cook, Ben Boyd Road, Redskins, Chicos, heck even the game of chess have all recently been declared ‘racist’.
    Do you mean racist, or racially insensitive? It might be political to some, but certainly not all. Surely most of us can determine when someone is acting respectfully, or acting like an arsehole. This is not notion that requires political allegiance.

No offence, but I really can't see where being sympathetic to Sam Newman fits within this forum. His treatment of Adam Goodes was deplorable, and it shouldn't come as a surprise that Adam Goodes is held in the highest regard on this site. Newman contributed to Goodes leaving the game before his time.

Senior Player
    Yes I do.

There will always be people who are over the top with political correctness. In this case, Newman and the others are clearly in the wrong on racial grounds and the apology spells this out clearly. By the way, Redskins and Chicos will soon be rightly gone. Disparaging names. And 98% of BLM supporters are non violent. Principles are what count.

I used to be an avid chess player and still follow the top level games on Youtube. When I found out that some chess videos had been pulled by Youtube for racist language, it raised another troubling issue, which is how algorithms are making low level human decisions, like labeling something 'racist' or deciding what constitutes hate speech. The specific problem with chess is that the game commentator may say something like: "After that blunder, Black is lost. White will always be better than Black now." YouTube's community standards algorithm doesn't understand that comment refers to chess pieces and not people. Apparently, it was difficult to get a human at Youtube to override the algorithm.

We are well on our way to a dystopian world where algorithms run our lives and the Swans never make the finals.

On the broader issue of re-evaluating historical racism in the current climate, I think it's important to set the record straight. Histories from every culture reflect the positions of those in charge at the time of writing. Alternative perspectives, such as Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States, tend not to be promoted by mainstream media.

I heard a comment last week that if it were Japan that dropped atomic bombs on the United States, rather than the other way around, surely there would have been Japanese leaders tried for war crimes.

It's good to see that these important issues are at least being discussed in public fora. It's hard to say whether it will produce something positive or a reactionary backlash, which is often what has happened in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    No offence, but I really can't see where being sympathetic to Sam Newman fits within this forum.
    Right, so one cannot express their opinion on this forum now? We all have to be sheep?

This takes the cake.

Senior Player
    Right, so one cannot express their opinion on this forum now? We all have to be sheep?

This takes the cake.
    Snaijk expressed an opinion just like you have been doing. The only person who can stop you is yourself. It wasn't an order.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast