Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Goodesy and Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Yes I do.

Goodes was definitely bullied. It was unacceptable and a big shame. I don’t believe it was racist. Not interested in opening that debate again though.

Blackface unacceptable as we all agree.

Nothing wrong with calling out racism but it has become political. People with agendas have hijacked this. As they have done in the States with BLM.

Bega cheese, Captain Cook, Ben Boyd Road, Redskins, Chicos, heck even the game of chess have all recently been declared ‘racist’.
    Dont throw the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, there are some extreme PC people who want to remove Captain Cook statues, but they are in the minority. Its in the 'racists' agenda to exagerate that so that they can attract more from the centre of the debate. Dont be sucked into such tactics. Having to look at a captain cook statue is not the same as being found dead in custody. Thats what they are trying to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Dont throw the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, there are some extreme PC people who want to remove Captain Cook statues, but they are in the minority. Its in the 'racists' agenda to exagerate that so that they can attract more from the centre of the debate. Dont be sucked into such tactics. Having to look at a captain cook statue is not the same as being found dead in custody. Thats what they are trying to fix.
    Guys , time to take your political views and go to twitter or somewhere else that allows people to shout their views for all to see.

I think its inappropriate to enforce your own views on others and its very easy to take the moral high ground on issues that at the moment have been overtaken by extremism and woke culture that many are truly sick of hearing.

We are living in a very divisive world at the moment and for me football is one way of escaping from all this so lets keep it on track.

Discussing the merits or not of the Sam Newman situation is not talking football, its talking politics. Im not a Sam Newman fan at all , I dont even watch his shows and you are free to do same if you disagree with him , and strangely enough if enough people stop watching his shows , they will dissapear.

I am a person though that also believes in freedom of expression and therefore its totally unreasonable to start cancelling things we disagree with. Maybe consider that if he has survived and his show continues that there might be a fairly large proportion of the population that arent saying anything that actually do want to hear what Sam has to say. Now this isnt trying to justify every thing he says is supported by those people, its just an expression of a point of view. Right , wrong or indifferent. Call it out , yeah sure, but censure and cancellation is a very scare path to head down.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Guys , time to take your political views and go to twitter or somewhere else that allows people to shout their views for all to see.

I think its inappropriate to enforce your own views on others and its very easy to take the moral high ground on issues that at the moment have been overtaken by extremism and woke culture that many are truly sick of hearing.

We are living in a very divisive world at the moment and for me football is one way of escaping from all this so lets keep it on track.

Discussing the merits or not of the Sam Newman situation is not talking football, its talking politics. Im not a Sam Newman fan at all , I dont even watch his shows and you are free to do same if you disagree with him , and strangely enough if enough people stop watching his shows , they will dissapear.

I am a person though that also believes in freedom of expression and therefore its totally unreasonable to start just cancelling opinion we disagree with. Right , wrong or indifferent. Call it out , yeah sure, but censure and cancellation of the person and all associated with him because of his expressing a view on something is a very scare path to head down.

Really?
    And here I was thinking that Sam Newman STILL making inappropriate comments about Nicky Winmar IS footy - or footy-related, or racism-related (which is basically what this whole thread about Goodesy and MickyO not liking what they are saying, is about). Where else will we discuss it, but in a dedicated thread. (*insert rolling eyes emoji)
    #racismstopswithme
    If you don't like people pointing out racism, maybe you should go elsewhere, because I am never going to stop pointing it out.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Goodesy is a legend of this club. It shouldn't be incomprehensible that people who post on this site will come to his defence when he his attacked, or when his treatment in the final years of his career is trivialised. While this was about Goodesy, almost all of us lived his pain vicariously.

Is this behaviour really being 'political', or does it align more with empathy and human decency?
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post

Discussing the merits or not of the Sam Newman situation is not talking football, its talking politics.
    ???. This has zero to do with politics.
    Its a discussion on human morals and decency, and directly involving one of the greatest swan players of all time.

I am a person though that also believes in freedom of expression and therefore its totally unreasonable to start cancelling things we disagree with. Maybe consider that if he has survived and his show continues that there might be a fairly large proportion of the population that arent saying anything that actually do want to hear what Sam has to say. Now this isnt trying to justify every thing he says is supported by those people, its just an expression of a point of view. Right , wrong or indifferent. Call it out , yeah sure, but censure and cancellation is a very scare path to head down.
    Absolutely spot on.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

I am a person though that also believes in freedom of expression and therefore its totally unreasonable to start just cancelling opinion we disagree with. Right , wrong or indifferent. Call it out , yeah sure, but censure and cancellation of the person and all associated with him because of his expressing a view on something is a very scare path to head down.
    I would have thought this was the perfect forum to discuss the treatment of a legend of our club. You say you believe in freedom of expression but then say those of us who didn't like the way Adam Goodes was treated should take our opinions elsewhere. Racism is still a huge problem in the wider world and within the AFL. The issue needs to addressed and RWO is one place that Swans lovers can express themselves.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Absolutely spot on.
    Not a big fan of the cancel culture. If people like Newman express racially offensive views, then he has to live with the consequences, in this case through the legal system. He can express an opinion anytime he likes. No one is stopping him. Nor is it stopping anyone like me and others who strong disagree with him. Laughable that he paints himself as a victim.

Senior Player
    Unfortunately the concept of freedom of speech seems to have degenerated into an excuse for a bunch of idiots to say whatever tone deaf,
    stupid thing they can think of and then be free to have a hissy fit whenever someone else doesn't agree with them. This lot were out in
    force big time during Adam's last few years in footy.
    On a more positive note I went to the National Portrait Gallery in our nations capital yesterday and there is an excellent photo of the great
    man entered into the National Photographic Portrait Prize. It didn't win the competition, but methinks it should have.

This is an interesting article about entrenched racism in the AFL:

AFL 2020: Joel Wilkinson tells Gillon McLachlan ‘you will resign’

It might be wishful thinking that Gill would resign, but if true, it would explain the shameful inaction the AFL took during the Goodes boo-ing saga.

Interesting to note for some of you, Sam Newman (on his podcast) came out in support of Joel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast