Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Round 5 Vs West Coast Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    The Crows are a rabble.
    And it seems that a major component of them becoming a rabble, was their infamous 2018 preseason camp. This recent article gives a few more details.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...30-p557od.html

When the story first broke, I remember having a look at the Collective Mind website, to see what sort of psych qualifications, those running the program had. I found plenty of psychobabble, but no qualifications. Though I suppose that it's possible, that the founder of the company, did a psych module or two, as part of his business degree. But that would hardly be enough, to justify the inflated claims that they were making.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    And it seems that a major component of them becoming a rabble, was their infamous 2018 preseason camp. This recent article gives a few more details.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...30-p557od.html
    I thought that was an interesting read. Sam McClure getting plenty of stick on Twitter from (a) upset Crows fans, (b) people wondering why this is still news (answer - took this long to coax out all the details) and of course (c) people who just want to have a go at Sam McClure. But I thought it was a good article, well-researched. Particularly the quotes from real psychologists along the lines of "if your aim is to build resilience, these techniques are the worst way to go about it."

From grand finalist to rabble in 2 years is a mighty fall.

- - - Updated - - -

(crows)

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    The call for ‘play the kids’ is a bit tiresome. We are playing the kids, probably more than we should be to be competitive, but we don’t have much of a choice. You only have to look at the Suns history and carlton of a few years ago to see that playing a side too heavy on youth and thin on experience can really damage a teams progress and confidence. We don’t want to develop a losing culture and forget how to win. If Stephens was ready he’d be playing, he obviously isn’t. Same with Gould. I don’t see the need to rush these guys.

Didn’t see the game but the Eagles needed a win badly and they are (on paper) one of the best teams in the comp. we were ripe for the picking, and they put us away. Not a surprise, and we didn’t cop a severe hiding.

Richmond will probably do the same to us next week, but we will have a crack and we don’t roll over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I feel like we should be friends. Exactly how I feel. The evidence is clear Horse isn’t afraid to play “the kids”. Culture should be built on hard work and respect. A quick way to fracture an entire team culture is to give away team spots based on draft position.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I thought that was an interesting read. Sam McClure getting plenty of stick on Twitter from (a) upset Crows fans, (b) people wondering why this is still news (answer - took this long to coax out all the details) and of course (c) people who just want to have a go at Sam McClure. But I thought it was a good article, well-researched. Particularly the quotes from real psychologists along the lines of "if your aim is to build resilience, these techniques are the worst way to go about it."
    Yes, and I would argue that the story is still relevant, because it was an abuse of power, and that the more details that emerge about abuses of power, the less likely they are to happen again. Which is perhaps the central role of good journalism?

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I feel like we should be friends. Exactly how I feel. The evidence is clear Horse isn’t afraid to play “the kids”. Culture should be built on hard work and respect. A quick way to fracture an entire team culture is to give away team spots based on draft position.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    From grand finalist to rabble in 2 years is a mighty fall.

(crows)
    Not at all like us. We've taken 3 years.

Luke’s partner posted photo of Luke today on Insta. Luke has a closed and swollen right eye and a large shiner, courtesy of yesterday’s match I assume. Hope he is recovered for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    The call for ‘play the kids’ is a bit tiresome. We are playing the kids, probably more than we should be to be competitive, but we don’t have much of a choice. You only have to look at the Suns history and carlton of a few years ago to see that playing a side too heavy on youth and thin on experience can really damage a teams progress and confidence. We don’t want to develop a losing culture and forget how to win. If Stephens was ready he’d be playing, he obviously isn’t. Same with Gould. I don’t see the need to rush these guys.

Didn’t see the game but the Eagles needed a win badly and they are (on paper) one of the best teams in the comp. we were ripe for the picking, and they put us away. Not a surprise, and we didn’t cop a severe hiding.

Richmond will probably do the same to us next week, but we will have a crack and we don’t roll over.

In the context of a normal season, what you say makes sense. Several points that makes 2020 unique:
    1) There are players in the team who have been in the system (or others) for a while now without showing the ability to play consistent footy. 1 decent game followed by 3-4 quiet ones.
    2) There is no Neafl to develop our young talent.
    3) Shortened quarters should favour blooding younger guys who often struggle to maintain intensity.
    4) What does season 2020 really mean anyway? So many disruptions / distractions.

With all that in mind, I favour giving more of our youngsters a run.

Good time to play Richmond
    Cotchin Prestia Nank Houli Edwards and Lynch all out

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, and I would argue that the story is still relevant, because it was an abuse of power, and that the more details that emerge about abuses of power, the less likely they are to happen again. Which is perhaps the central role of good journalism?
    Sam included some well chosen quotes from Adelaide hierarchy, including Ricciuto very recently, saying the camp had nothing to do with the loss of form and player exodus, and then demonstrates how it did. I thought its absolutely news.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Sam included some well chosen quotes from Adelaide hierarchy, including Ricciuto very recently, saying the camp had nothing to do with the loss of form and player exodus, and then demonstrates how it did. I thought its absolutely news.
    Yes, and the speed of Adelaide's fall has been remarkable. And that speed makes it likely that there's more reasons for it, than say, lack of draft picks or key injuries. So, stories looking at those reasons are relevant.

And despite our hoodoo against the Crows, they've often been my second favourite side. So, I'm actually a bit said that they've become such a mess. I'd also like to see ex-Swan, Matthew Nicks, have some success.