Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R7 vs Gold Coast Guns

Here's the Draft Central write-up on Matt Ling: Matthew Ling - Aussie Rules Draft Central

I think it's worth reading to remind ourselves why he was taken at pick 14. He's the only player in the top 34 picks in the 2017 draft to have not yet played an AFL game. So his time is due.

Picks 15-17 went for Zac Bailey, Ed Richards (my personal choice) and Jack Higgins. All are doing quite well. It was reported that Longmire visited Higgins at home the night before the draft. The point of this is not to illustrate that we made a mistake, but rather that we were well aware of some very good players with similar characteristics, but chose Ling ahead of them all. Certainly KB had an in depth knowledge of all these players. We know that he's a very sharp assessor of talent.

We don't know for sure, but he should be able to get back on track for an AFL career if he can overcome his injuries. Except for his turf toe injury in 2018, the others have not been reported on much, but it seems to have limited his training and playing time. The talent is there, and if he's fit to play, he's capable of being a very exciting player.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Here's the Draft Central write-up on Matt Ling: Matthew Ling - Aussie Rules Draft Central .
    Thanks for posting that link Ludwig. Does sound exciting. Bur perhaps the coaches have been hiding Matt away while they teach him how to kick with his right foot?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    We will see long term

But of the three below him, Bailey is going to be the star of the show. A jet already, who’s hard, fast, takes the game on, and you’d give an arm and a leg for.

Richards looks good, Bailey is good.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    We will see long term

But of the three below him, Bailey is going to be the star of the show. A jet already, who’s hard, fast, takes the game on, and you’d give an arm and a leg for.

Richards looks good, Bailey is good.
    You're confusing the Bailey's

Ronke "a little sore" = 7 to 8 weeks..... surely out injury management need a good review

As a club, we should be saying if the player isnt available to play by September than its season over.... get ready for next year, cant see the point of bringing Joey back for a month of Footy after September

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Ronke "a little sore" = 7 to 8 weeks..... surely out injury management need a good review

As a club, we should be saying if the player isnt available to play by September than its season over.... get ready for next year, cant see the point of bringing Joey back for a month of Footy after September
    He’s got a stress reaction not “a little sore”, I believe.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    Is Fox our new Dean Towers?
    Except for Mills who got the perfect 10, Fox was the only Swans player to get votes in the coaches award.

BTW For those who criticise Mills, Jonathan Brown last night on OTC called Mills the league’s elite defender with a superior IQ.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Except for Mills who got the perfect 10, Fox was the only Swans player to get votes in the coaches award.

BTW For those who criticise Mills, Jonathan Brown last night on OTC called Mills the league’s elite defender with a superior IQ.
    The criticism isn’t of Mills personally, it’s the fact that he isn’t fully utilised for the benefit of the team

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post

He certainly performed on Longmire's vision of him as a defender on Sunday. Super mature performance.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Here's the Draft Central write-up on Matt Ling: Matthew Ling - Aussie Rules Draft Central

I think it's worth reading to remind ourselves why he was taken at pick 14. He's the only player in the top 34 picks in the 2017 draft to have not yet played an AFL game. So his time is due.

Picks 15-17 went for Zac Bailey, Ed Richards (my personal choice) and Jack Higgins. All are doing quite well. It was reported that Longmire visited Higgins at home the night before the draft. The point of this is not to illustrate that we made a mistake, but rather that we were well aware of some very good players with similar characteristics, but chose Ling ahead of them all. Certainly KB had an in depth knowledge of all these players. We know that he's a very sharp assessor of talent.

We don't know for sure, but he should be able to get back on track for an AFL career if he can overcome his injuries. Except for his turf toe injury in 2018, the others have not been reported on much, but it seems to have limited his training and playing time. The talent is there, and if he's fit to play, he's capable of being a very exciting player.
    Thanks for this. To be fair to him he's appeared to have been injured most of the time. I'd be surprised if he'd played more than three games in a row during his time with us, at least until this year. Happily, he is now and it seems a key objective to just get games into him.

Like you, it makes sense to me that they would train him as a lockdown defender, noting the dearth of players we have in that role, as discussed recently. The main impression I had of the few NEAFL games I've seen is that he went in hard to the tackle and to win a ball in dispute.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    He certainly performed on Longmire's vision of him as a defender on Sunday. Super mature performance.
    I always thought he was put back in defence to help develop his game and ready him for the middle. If so he's certainly passed the test and ready to graduate up to the midfield.

Of course, at the moment midfield for us is about 20m out from our goal line, and any forwards we can scratch together get to range out a bit more to about the 50m arc....

Does Stoddart stay this week against a young fast Gold Coast ?

or is that problem to solve only part of what our coaches see for our squad trajectory improvement ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast