Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R7 vs Gold Coast Guns

Veterans List

Changes for R7 vs Gold Coast Guns

I've only watched to half time of the Richmond game, Stevic stitched us up very early, as he always does. My heart always sinks when I see his name on our umpiring panel.

So before digesting what I believe is an arduous watch of the second half, my thoughts turned to next weeks encounter and what the odds would be.

You've all seen the Suns in action this year, and you've seen us in action, that's mainly injury list action, so I was surprised to find we are favourites and the talent of Gold Coast is a generous IMO $1.95 the win. Very tempted to secure my retirement at those odds having watched the magic debut of Izak Rankine. If you want a laugh in these gloomy times, head over to the Adelaide Trading/drafting thread on BF, Seriously deluded supporters there selling crap Adelaide players for gold and luring back ex SA boys the likes of Rankine, Lukocious etc. Gives you a laugh, takes your mind off our deepening crisis that even Dan Andrews or Ronald Trump couldn't solve for us. So to changes for next week, I'll start the ball rolling

OUT - JPK, Heeney
    IN - F nose

Hopefully some tall players back, although potentially not AA.

Out: JPK, Blakey, Gray
    In: Reid, Sinkers, Brand

I’m in denial about Heeney.

We should get back a few tall players

Out: Kennedy (inj), Stoddart (omitted), Gray (omitted), Warner (omitted)

In: Taylor, McInerney, Aliir, Brand

Any word on what happened with Aliir? If Aliir's not on and Reid is, that's fair play or if Reid is fit I'd play him in front of either McInerney or Taylor.

Hope Heeney isn't injured...

Blakey's second half saved him and I'm very happy to say that Hayward played well.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Need to play a few more younger players, as this season is a wipe off:

Also; Blakely's performance was woefully; his first half non existence and he need to be sent a message by being drop.

Out: Negative Coaching, just to keep the scores respectable: Kennedy, Blakely, Gray, Clarke

In: Taylor, McInerney, anyone not injured, lets give them a crack

Parker was really down yesterday; hope it wasn't the coaching to lose respectably, and not to try and win.
    doof-doof

Difficult to say who in as dependent on who of our tall timbers are available (Brand, McCartain, Sinclair and Reid). If all are available, conceivably all are in, along with Aliir who potentially could return as an intercepting tall defender.

Outs: Joey definitely, and if any doubt at all, Heeney. No point Heens suffering a long term serious lower leg injury in season 2020.

If some talls back, I'd give Blakey one more run.
    Hayward another game in defence, Mills on ball, although he did have a cracker in defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Need to play a few more younger players, as this season is a wipe off:

Also; Blakely's performance was woefully; his first half non existence and he need to be sent a message by being drop.

Out: Negative Coaching, just to keep the scores respectable: Kennedy, Blakely, Gray, Clarke

In: Taylor, McInerney, anyone not injured, lets give them a crack

Parker was really down yesterday; hope it wasn't the coaching to lose respectably, and not to try and win.
    Look I get the criticism of our tactics yesterday. But what alternate strategy do people suggest we should have used? The aim of a football game is to win the game at the end of the day. If we went gung ho we would of got slaughtered without any talls up forward in those conditions and the ability of Richmond to use the ball well on the turnover. I just don't know what the alternate was. That isn't to say I haven't been a critic of Longmire's tactics at times - but I think the outcry about yesterday is pretty ridiculous, given the conditions and the list of outs we had. It kept us in the game, and had Blakey's late one that just missed been a goal we could of actually stolen a game we had no right to even be close in.

As for ins and outs - I don't see what benefit there is for dropping Blakey. He is struggling sure - but we have no obvious ins to replace him, and we all know the quality player he will develop into. Every young player goes through troughs early in their career - with the absence of a proper reserves competition this year, I don't see what benefit there is from him sitting on the pine basically. He will need to work through it, and will suddenyl look a lot more effective once we have a few decent talls back and some resemblance of a forward line. This year is a write off anyway in terms of results - so lets make the use of it. He is a key part of our future if we get his development right.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Look I get the criticism of our tactics yesterday. But what alternate strategy do people suggest we should have used? The aim of a football game is to win the game at the end of the day. If we went gung ho we would of got slaughtered without any talls up forward in those conditions and the ability of Richmond to use the ball well on the turnover. I just don't know what the alternate was. That isn't to say I haven't been a critic of Longmire's tactics at times - but I think the outcry about yesterday is pretty ridiculous, given the conditions and the list of outs we had. It kept us in the game, and had Blakey's late one that just missed been a goal we could of actually stolen a game we had no right to even be close in.

As for ins and outs - I don't see what benefit there is for dropping Blakey. He is struggling sure - but we have no obvious ins to replace him, and we all know the quality player he will develop into. Every young player goes through troughs early in their career - with the absence of a proper reserves competition this year, I don't see what benefit there is from him sitting on the pine basically. He will need to work through it, and will suddenyl look a lot more effective once we have a few decent talls back and some resemblance of a forward line. This year is a write off anyway in terms of results - so lets make the use of it. He is a key part of our future if we get his development right.
    Agree - I think the negative criticism should be aimed at Richmond . They just sat back as well and waited to counter attack and essentially we didnt fall for it.
    The game was terrible to watch but and the commentary even worse to listen to but to point the finger at the swans was in my view ridiculous. We had kennedy on the bench and heeney struggling with an ankle for most of the game along with no ruckman and no tall forwards. Hardly the conditions to open the shoulders up and play all out attacking football.

Re Blakey - if there was a NEAFL , I would drop him but no point at the moment. He just needs to get back to basics and stop always trying to do the tricky stuff and there was some times yesterday where he showed little awareness.

Ive been critical of Hayward but I thought he did well at half back and they should continue to give him that role as then it potentially frees up Mills as he develops in that position.

Stephens did very well and I thought looked comfortable, was strong and got to the right positions. Warner tried but needs more development for me.

Dissapointed with Gray. He isnt as good as papleys shadow let alone the little man himself. Papley is a gun and will be sad if we lose him at end of year.

Regular in the Side
    Please note that he title of this thread should be changed to "Changes for R7 vs Gold Coast " R6 was Vs Tigers

There are alternatives to dropping players when looking to give constructive feedback.
    Blakey will no doubt be shown that he's trying to do too much when he gets it. His effort was there in the second half. He was just trying to pull off something incredible with every possession (eg the handball chip and chase) instead of simple wet weather footy. He'll be better for it.

Hayward has huge potential as a defender. Similar type and journey to Sicily. He showed last week he needs to learn a bit more about how to defend with body work. Hopefully that is a focus for him this year.

Fox was very commendable, aided significantly by weather and injury. But he's an option down back. Brand in to take on King.

Even though we got killed in the ruck and played without JPK, we broke even on centre clearances and almost did so in total clearances. So, do we need Sinclair? He offers minimal around the ground, whereas McLean looked more mobile and able to take a mark at either end.

Mills to the middle has to happen now that JPK appears injured. Time to build that future on ball core.

Gray is showing why he was let go. Would Wicks offer more? Obviously we need to keep as many mature bodies in the team as we can, but he's not up to it.

Warner and Stephens need a good run at it. Loved the courage of Warner to kick in board in the wet. Leave them for a month
    Same as Stoddart. Needs a proper go at it.

Ins: Reid or McCartin (risky to bring both underdone), McInerney
    Out: JPK, Heeney
    If Heeney is fit, I'd swap Gray for Wicks or a similar type.

We all know that we needed our best players on the ground to be competitive this year, and even so, it would have been a challenge to make the 8. Everyone involved in the game is trying their best to get the most out of the season, especially giving the fans something under these difficult circumstances and limiting the financial damage to the league. Those teams that have a shot at a premiership, well, let them give it a go. But given how the season has evolved for the Swans, the rest of the season is just a preparation for next year.

We RWOers are focused on the Swans, but every club is facing inconsistency and under-performing players. Not just us. So we shouldn't be too harsh on the Swans. I don't think our play is truly representative of what we can do. We can take GWS as an example of a team with a premiership quality list not performing close to what they should be capable of.

Longmire is usually a bit fidgety, but I've never seen him so bad than at the post game presser yesterday. He's obviously finding the circumstances very challenging and his resources keep dwindling. He's a very competitive person. It's going to be hard for him to adjust.

Hopefully we can get Reid and McCartin back soon, because it's really difficult playing a proper game only having Papley as a forward target.

As for next week, it appears Kennedy and Heeney will be out injured. I think Gray should be dropped. He's an experienced player that's just not performing well. I would also drop Clarke. Despite the good possession count, his ball use is too great a detriment to the kind of game we are aiming for. We don't have enough detail to know what's best for some of the other under-performing players, like Blakey. Stephens played well enough to get another game, while I would give Warner and Stoddart a shot in dry conditions to improve their game. We should remember that they're coming into the senior side with limited preparation and it will take a few games to adjust.

It's hard to know which young players would benefit most by coming into the senior side at this time. So let's just leave that to the coaches who see them at training and practice matches. Many thanks to barracuda for giving us a bit of insight into selection, but it's still just a fraction of the overall picture.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Mills to the middle has to happen now that JPK appears injured. Time to build that future on ball core.
    That's the silver lining of JPK's injury, particularly if we get some tall defenders back this week?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Please note that he title of this thread should be changed to "Changes for R7 vs Gold Coast " R6 was Vs Tigers
    Sorry, I'd had a bottle of very good McLaren Vale Shiraz when I penned it :-)

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast