Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matt Ling

Senior Player

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    The full set of photos is great. Fantastic for Matt and his family to have as a memento of his first game.

I thought Ling had a decent first game. It felt a bit like Nick Smith was back.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    The full set of photos is great. Fantastic for Matt and his family to have as a memento of his first game.
    I was really pleased that he got to celebrate a win, as he's gone through so much interminable rehab, while other, possibly less talented players, from his draft, have gone on to forge viable AFL careers.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I thought Ling had a decent first game. It felt a bit like Nick Smith was back.
    He looked composed. Nothing flashy just did his job. I certainly did not have my heart in my mouth every time he had the ball, unlike watching other defenders in recent times.

Senior Player
    Very happy to see Ling play. Definitely one of the better games for a defender 1st game. Usually I find the first gamer defenders look off the pace and get out bodied and out run. He looked neither. Didn’t get a while lot of the ball until the final quarter but didn’t look deer in the headlights either ( like I think Melican often looks ).

I can't wait for Ling to adjust to the pace of the game at AFL level, although he only seemed a little rushed for a 1st gamer. He has the ability to create time and space, is an elusive and fast runner and can find and hit targets. I think he'll became a fan favourite.

Senior Player
    Looking like a deer in the headlights isn't always a bad thing.
    Leo Barry looked like that nearly every possession he ever had. Worked o.k. for him.
    Oh, and LRT had the same look...worked ok for him too.
    But, I agree that Ling was lovely and calm looking under pressure.
    I reckon he'll be around a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Very happy to see Ling play. Definitely one of the better games for a defender 1st game. Usually I find the first gamer defenders look off the pace and get out bodied and out run. He looked neither. Didn’t get a while lot of the ball until the final quarter but didn’t look deer in the headlights either ( like I think Melican often looks ).

Veterans List
    His last quarter was his best which is always a good sign. Could see him quickly adapting to the pace.

I was screaming at him before that ball up in the second qr to get on Wingard more closely (I don't know why, I was in the second stand of the Trumper, do I really think he's gonna hear me?), but he learned the hard way you need to play closer than that. But has the look of someone who will learn quickly I think.

Veterans List
    Looks like a footballer which is a good start.

After two years of mainly rehab, is now a mature body, looked composed in play to me. The fact they've identified a position for him and getting expert one on one from Nick Smith gives Matt every chance to have a long and successful career.

Matt's written about finally getting to make his debut last week.

My time finally arrived

Contains this nugget:

"Nick Smith has also been a great mentor for me. He gives lots of tips about positioning and getting to the right spots early, and he’s helped me change my mindset to make me more accountable. I used to think if my opponent got a quick shot on goal out of a pack it was just bad luck, but Nick’s helped me realise you can stop everything."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Matt's written about finally getting to make his debut last week.

My time finally arrived

Contains this nugget:

"Nick Smith has also been a great mentor for me. He gives lots of tips about positioning and getting to the right spots early, and he’s helped me change my mindset to make me more accountable. I used to think if my opponent got a quick shot on goal out of a pack it was just bad luck, but Nick’s helped me realise you can stop everything."
    Great piece. Well done, Matt. Studying outdoor recreation and ecotourism is a bit different for a footballer.

Love that quote about learning from Nick Smith. Some of Matt's positioning did stand out for a first-gamer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast