Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: 2020 Round 8: Swans v Hawks

Clarko and the Hawks list management really under the pump this week.

The five curious cases that turned Clarko's soldiers into Dad's Army

Here are five examples where the Hawks, rightly or wrongly, prioritised the present over the future:

1. Ruckmen (Ceglar over Pittonet)
    2. Paul Puopolo
    3. Recruiting Patton and not playing Lewis
    4. Chad Wingard trade (including giving up Ryan Burton and a first round pick for him)
    5. Ben Stratton as captain

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Clarko and the Hawks list management really under the pump this week.

The five curious cases that turned Clarko's soldiers into Dad's Army

Here are five examples where the Hawks, rightly or wrongly, prioritised the present over the future:

1. Ruckmen (Ceglar over Pittonet)
    2. Paul Puopolo
    3. Recruiting Patton and not playing Lewis
    4. Chad Wingard trade (including giving up Ryan Burton and a first round pick for him)
    5. Ben Stratton as captain

When a few decisions dont work out, it can make anyone look like Crazy Vossy.
    The interesting one for me is the Patton recruitment. Its almost like GWS knew he was shot, because he could have come back for the final series last year, and assuming he wasnt so injury prone, could have got them a flag. But he wasnt played (to keep his value), and so far has failed at Hawthorn.
    While GWS didnt get any great picks for him, they got Hawthorn to pay his full wage.

Speaking of trades, I made this list of ex-swans that we may have still kept.

F: Membrey, Mummy, Rohan
    HF: ?, Cameron, ?,
    C: Mitchel, Hannebery, Jetta
    HB: Jones, ?, Newman
    FB: ?, ?, ?
    Follow: Nankerkis, ?, ?
    Coach: Stewy Dew.

Am I missing anyone ?

I think the Hawks have picked up a couple of cheap but risky salary cap dumps from the Giants, Scully and Patton being the two that spring to mind. Scully appears to be a bust, I think its too early to tell with Patton. My understanding is he chose to sit out the end of last year and the Giants were happy for him to do so (1) because they needed to lose his $ from the salary cap. If they played him he might have done another ACL (2) they had three talls already (3) he's a bit of a dinosaur

I hate to say this, but I agree with you Barry, as I read the article about the Hawks - forcing a young ruckman out, losing a young forward out by hanging on to older players, picking up players from other clubs that haven't worked out ... I did think of another club closer to home.

That's not a bad bunch of players we've lost although many of them have not been disasters: Jetta genuinely went home and never reached the 2012 heights again, Hanners and Rohan was our doing, neither were a mistake. But Mitchell, Jones and Nankervis would all be quite handy right now. Although I see you've got Jones playing at HB not on the ball where he picked up 8 clearances against Port last week. Hanners should be listed as "Injured"

Jones genuinely went home too. We had no chance of keeping him.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I think the Hawks have picked up a couple of cheap but risky salary cap dumps from the Giants, Scully and Patton being the two that spring to mind. Scully appears to be a bust, I think its too early to tell with Patton. My understanding is he chose to sit out the end of last year and the Giants were happy for him to do so (1) because they needed to lose his $ from the salary cap. If they played him he might have done another ACL (2) they had three talls already (3) he's a bit of a dinosaur
    If it wasnt for his knee's patton could have been a gun. Great mark, great kick. Poor forward pressure, but that could be worked on.

Scully is all reputation, and its all reputation based on being a very early draft pick (was it #1?), and been a good runner. Neither of which makes you a good AFL player.
    Looks good in a good side, but wont win you a match. But, again, Hawthorn didnt pay much for him.

Him. combined with all the other trades that havent pulled off a great player, means you can end up with a list of list-cloggers.

I can't quite put my finger on the reason I think so, but there's something un-barrylike about your last couple of posts, barry.

Anyway, it does seem that Hawthorn's recruiting strategy is blowing up in their face. And it's worth noting because some posters here (I'm thinking of one in particular) were complaining about our recent trade periods and comparing them unfavourably with Hawthorn's, but now it seems that history will judge us relatively more kindly (although it's probably still too soon to say).

I'm (mostly) happy with the way we've done things.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I can't quite put my finger on the reason I think so, but there's something un-barrylike about your last couple of post.
    It shows you shallowness that you only like people who agree with you.

Don't make this thread about me.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If it wasnt for his knee's patton could have been a gun. Great mark, great kick. Poor forward pressure, but that could be worked on.

Scully is all reputation, and its all reputation based on being a very early draft pick (was it #1?), and been a good runner. Neither of which makes you a good AFL player.
    Looks good in a good side, but wont win you a match. But, again, Hawthorn didnt pay much for him.

Him. combined with all the other trades that havent pulled off a great player, means you can end up with a list of list-cloggers.
    They are both decent players (when fit) but were on big money and basically surplus to requirements at GWS. They can only fit in
    so many pricey (which usually means very good) players and they have a few. If our new crop of young players all turn into guns we
    are going to run into salary cap issues too in four or five years. In some ways it's a good problem to have. "Too many" good players.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It shows you shallowness that you only like people who agree with you.

Don't make this thread about me.
    Sorry, barry. No offence intended.

Incidentally, I'm not sure that we're agreeing with each other, other than I agreed with your uncontroversial opinion that Hawthorn's recruiting strategy doesn't seem to be working out too well for them.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718