Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 9 v St Kilda

Changes for Round 9 v St Kilda

Really depends on who's fit and who isn't. My feeling is that nobody is being dropped unless they are being replaced by someone who wasn't available before.

I feel very much endarkened about who is available and who isn't. Players who might become available: Melican, Brand, Hewett? What's the story with Hayward? I have a feeling he's likely not going to be available but really unclear about this. For that matter, how far off is Buddy? Player who might not be available: Rampe.

If Rampe is out, I think Mills will return to defence because who else is there to marshall the defence? Lloyd ain't it, not on his own. Nor is Aliir.

If two players come in, who goes out? I guess it depends a bit on who it is but I would think that probably Gray, right now, is the most vulnerable. Although it's hard to say that. Despite Gray not having a stand out game, I think having a few more experienced but not standout players (like Squizzy, Gray, Cunningham) can really help the newbies. Anyway, still think Gray is first to go if Hewett or Hayward is available. I would love to see us persist with the youth like Stephens, Ling and ET and let them continue their development.

Our list really isn't in bad shape. Entirely possible to see us making finals with a healthy list as soon as next year.

Sometimes people say who are our stars? With our whole list available we have: Buddy, Rampe, Papley, Joey, Parker, Lloyd who fit within what I would call the elite category. (Not the Dusty/Fyfe/Bont superstar level except for Buddy but elite nonetheless. I think all of those players are capable of being matchwinners on their day.) Then you add a raft of emerging talent behind that: Heeney, Mills, Florent, Hayward, Hewett, McCartin, Rowbottom, Dawson, Aliir. And finally the really new blood: Blakey, Ling, Stephens, ET, McInerney, hopefully Gould, maybe Warner. And then the worthy journeymen like Reid, Cunningham, O'Riordan, Fox, Sinclair, Clarke, maybe Melican, maybe Stoddart, maybe Ronke, maybe Bell, that we can put around those others. Finally you add in the next bunch of draftees (Campbell, Gulden, and maybe an earlier pick too), and hopefully a decent ruck that we trade in, and that looks to me like a list that can contend and which will hopefully improve over the coming seasons as they mature (depending on the ability of the young ones to step up and take over from the likes of first Buddy and Joey, and later Ramps and Parker, when they retire. As far as that goes, Mills is a future captain of the side and will be able to step up to that level of responsibility when the time comes. I am optimistic that enough of the others will be able to step up when the time comes too. Both McCartin and Gould are spoken of as being very mature leaders. Florent is also really mature.
    I can totally see Rowbottom being another Parker. Hewett is uber reliable. Dawson is a little enigmatic but continues to impress me.) Forgive me for digressing from selection but it's satisfying to ruminate so positively. I hope I'm not deluded!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Suspended by the MRP
    Injury report stated Brand was a few weeks away. Doubt that's changed. Longmire said Hayward couldn't get up for the Hawks game, so maybe he was right on the edge of selection. Should be fine if he proves himself at training this week you'd think.

If Ramps is out, could see Gould or even Maibaum getting a look in. Depends on how fit Pel is most likely.

If Ramps plays - everything crossed! - Stephens might get a rest and someone like McInerney could fill in.

I would love to see no changes though to reward such an even team performance. Glad Reid got through unscathed, he will be even better for the run.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Glad Reid got through unscathed, he will be even better for the run.
    One round doth not a season make ... but I too am glad he got through. Perfect decoy to take the pressure off our genuine key forward

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    One round doth not a season make ... but I too am glad he got through. Perfect decoy to take the pressure off our genuine key forward
    With the way this season is this first game back was an important step for Reid to get through. He has had an elongated pre-season so I think we have really put time to make sure his body is right and he will reward that patience I think. Just having a target to kick to seemed to make a difference, and also gave Papley and E.Taylor someone to feed off.

Veterans List
    Hewett is back surgery, probably the season.

Hayward probably be fit and displaces Gray. Wonder where Gould is at?

Don't drop kids.
    Last edited by 707; 26th July 2020 at 10:48 PM.

For mine, if I was the coach, I'd try to keep changes to a minimal this week, to reward the great effort on the weekend across the team. I felt it was a really even team performance, with some standout performances, but none that truly made you cringe and go 'no thankyou'.

So just injury replacements for mine as needed, though maybe Gray might be marginal.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Hewett is out for a long time. COR and Warner still fringe. If Hayward is fully fit, happy for him to return for Gray, otherwise unchanged lineup.

But if Rampe is out, Melican or Maibaum in. I think we would also need to bring Gould in given the tall Saints forward line (Ryder, Membrey, King).

Senior Player
    Gould for Rampe.
    Hayward for gray

That’s it

Senior Player
    Latest on Rampe: hand is broken, surgery today. Still a chance for Round 9 so hopefully not too serious.

Scans confirm Rampe injury

I had no idea Hewett's injury/issue was so serious. What a year! It's actually good timing, while we're not contending and the season is so strange. Will hopefully accelerate the kids' development, help us make more informed list management decisions and possibly improve our draft picks.

Still no word on Rampe's hand?

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Latest on Rampe: hand is broken, surgery today. Still a chance for Round 9 so hopefully not too serious.

Scans confirm Rampe injury
    Yes, I was just about to post that.

Which makes his performance on Saturday even better. I rated it as 10 out of 10, but now that the injury is confirmed, I think we can safely crank it up to 11.

Senior Player
    Can't seem to open it at the moment, but the AFL site before Saturday's game was showing Heeney and Naismith out for season, Ronke long-term (9 weeks?), Kennedy and Buddy 4-6 weeks, Brand was 1-2 weeks, though it had Hewitt, O'Riordan and Hayward as being a week away from memory. Is Hewitt definitely out long term? Pretty sure Ronke has a back injury. The two aren't being confused?
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast