Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 9: the other games and other stuff.

Round 9: the other games and other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    I agree, and kids see this @@@@ and behave in the same manner. There's nothing cool about being obnoxious. It's invariably a backman that has to deal with this. As if they aren't up against it enough already with opposition blocks and dubious free kicks called against them. You only need to breathe on a forward these days to be penalised.
    I can’t agree. Seeing Papley give it to Mitchell got me literally out of my seat and punching the air. Maybe some extra feel as he is an ex swan but I loved it ! Sure it’s not something you want to see wide spread but only certain players do it and they are generally the ones that can back it up. I applaud a bit of arrogance if it’s backed up with performance, in any field. If that’s what gets you going then by all means, give us some arrogance.

Would you prefer Paps not celebrate wildly when he kicks a goal , or leap frog over a teammate when they kick one too ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Late in the WCE/Geelong game Duggan goes down low and gets Constable front on. Jordan Lewis on Fox said there was nothing in it as Duggan did the perfect play because that is what they are told to do when going in low down. He completely missed the point...Duggan got him high and front on and he was concussed. It should have least been a free to Geelong and a goal would have put them in front.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I can’t agree. Seeing Papley give it to Mitchell got me literally out of my seat and punching the air. Maybe some extra feel as he is an ex swan but I loved it ! Sure it’s not something you want to see wide spread but only certain players do it and they are generally the ones that can back it up. I applaud a bit of arrogance if it’s backed up with performance, in any field. If that’s what gets you going then by all means, give us some arrogance.

Would you prefer Paps not celebrate wildly when he kicks a goal , or leap frog over a teammate when they kick one too ?

+1
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I wouldn't think so neil re: Grand Final. Its truly one week at a time at the moment, just battling to keep the season going at the moment, with plenty of time till the grand final date yet.
    I'm sure they're holding off decisions as long as possible! I vaguely recall someone (Gil?) in a press conference mentioning the end of July as getting close to the limit in terms of planning, logistics etc. But that was before the current Victorian situation and the compressed fixture.

Regular in the Side
    Umpiring the worst for year s got worse since afl followed clarkos call. throw dropping the ball being let go

I hate the new HTB rule where everyone waits for someone (foolish enough) to try to pick up the ball and immediately they do they try and gang tackle and pin them to the ground. And it’s normally rewarded too.

Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I hate the new HTB rule where everyone waits for someone (foolish enough) to try to pick up the ball and immediately they do they try and gang tackle and pin them to the ground. And it’s normally rewarded too.

Stupid.
    Yep completely agree. The Changes are not helping!

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I'm sure they're holding off decisions as long as possible! I vaguely recall someone (Gil?) in a press conference mentioning the end of July as getting close to the limit in terms of planning, logistics etc. But that was before the current Victorian situation and the compressed fixture.

Surely going to be Radelaide or Perth I reckon - Perth would be my take, as there might be a chance for a decent sized crowd there if they keep things under control COVID wise.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post

That's not quite what I was saying. My example would be Player A takes a contested mark over his opponent Player B. Player A's teammate (who may not have even been involved in the marking contest) rushes in and gives Player B a good shove. I just think its a cheap shpt and unwarranted.

FWIW I was at the Hawthorn game and Papley's demonstrative behaviour got me out of my seat too. It was in game, spontaneous, and he created the play. He doesn't get stuck into his opponent after every goal he scores. He celebrates, and it's usually a display of jubilation.

I was probably responding more to the premise of KTigers' post as opposed to Nico's earlier post.
    Last edited by snajik; 2nd August 2020 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Omission
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    That's not quite what I was saying. My example would be Player A takes a contested mark over his opponent Player B. Player A's teammate (who may not have even been involved in the marking contest) rushes in and gives Player B a good shove. I just think its a cheap shpt and unwarranted.

FWIW I was at the Hawthorn game and Papley's demonstrative behaviour got me out of my seat too. It was in game, spontaneous, and he created the play. He doesn't get stuck into his opponent after every goal he scores. He celebrates, and it's usually a display of jubilation.

I was probably responding more to the premise of KTigers' post as opposed to Nico's earlier post.
    Fair call, and yeah I totally agree with your example. That side of it is just kinda ugly and unnecessary and, thankfully,something our boys tend not to engage in.

I would’ve loved to have been there for that Papley one though, glad you enjoyed it in person ! Can’t wait to get back to the footy !!

On the veteran's list
    Bring back the bounce for all stoppages and do it quickly without nomination of ruckmen. Watched an old 1970's match the other day and as soon as the ball was in dispute the umps grabbed it and bounced it before other players arrived. If the bounce went sideways then stiff @@@@@@, that was just the rub of the green and helped clear the area. The throw up is the worst innovation in recent years. The perfect throw up means everyone is in perfect position to neutralise the situation. This rubbish about no whistle as long as the ball is in motion is just rubbish, just gives time for more blokes to arrive. Imagine the situation if a long kick comes into the forward line to a 2 versus 2 and a tackle locks the ball to an opponent. In the old days - after half a second blow the whistle, bounce the ball while there's still only 4 blokes there. Virtually no repeat stoppages.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    Come on Fremantle.

The difference between Serong if he had been drafted by us instead if Stephens is that if he was playing in our seniors he'd be stuck playing as a small forward, not developing in the centre square like Longmuir has allowed him to do and it's paying dividends already!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast