Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Round 9: the other games and other stuff.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Come on Fremantle.
    Beautiful scoreline

Enjoyed the last quarter of Fremantle beating Collingwood. Suggests that we have some sort of chance to beat them next week.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    The difference between Serong if he had been drafted by us instead if Stephens is that if he was playing in our seniors he'd be stuck playing as a small forward, not developing in the centre square like Longmuir has allowed him to do and it's paying dividends already!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Let's see how both their careers.pan out. Stephens would be 70kgs wringing wet at the moment. Sensible playing him on the wing.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Beautiful scoreline
    And Collingwood have a four day break and a trip from Perth to Brisbane before they play us.

Veterans List
    Did like the look of avid Swans supporter Serong playing for Freo. Plenty of water to go under the bridge yet but did make me think.

Always good to see Pies get beat :-)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Article by Nick Reiwolt in the Hun today bemoans the fact that players getting into the face of other players is creeping into the game and he doesn't like it. Article goes with a pic of Papley giving it to Mitchell and smaller picture of Pittard and Murphy incident. Two entirely different incidents. Papley didn't touch Mitchell whereas Pittard comes off the contest and knocks over Murphy who was merely a bystander, but no mention of either incident. He did however bring up an ancient incident when Robbie Muir had his hair ruffled and promptly turned around and belted the player. He forgot to mention that Muir was a pure thug. Funny how others on Fox this week thought it great that a bit of personality is coming back into the game. Very shallow article. What a bland individual is Nick.

By the way, giving another player a spray when he has beaten him hands down has been a part of the game forever.
    Yeah, I read that article today and was less than impressed.....it's disappointing. A standout player and person on field, I thought Nick would have been a bit more insightful off it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yeah, I read that article today and was less than impressed.....it's disappointing. A standout player and person on field, I thought Nick would have been a bit more insightful off it.
    Fair enough, he wasn’t that type of player. He was brave as hell, put his body on the line , ran his guts out, but the flashy stuff was never him. Goal kicking was always an Achilles heel for Nick. He needs to appreciate not all players are the humble, courageous champion. Some are the flashy, skilful, in your face type. And that’s ok. The game is better for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Nick Reiwoldt didn't need to be an "in your face" player. He knew his opponents were mostly going to lose in a contest against him, and they
    knew they were mostly going to lose, and he knew that they knew they were going to lose. As soon as he stood next to them the battle
    was pretty much over.
    I just find the "rubbing it in" stuff when one player beats another in a contest annoying and unoriginal. It seems to less common amongst
    the really good players. You never see Buddy or JPK or Rampe carrying on like that.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    The difference between Serong if he had been drafted by us instead if Stephens is that if he was playing in our seniors he'd be stuck playing as a small forward, not developing in the centre square like Longmuir has allowed him to do and it's paying dividends already!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    TBF, that method has worked for developing many of the greats of our game (sticking them in the forward line as their bodies develop and gradually upping their midfield time). Gary Ablett Jr being one, and plenty from our club over time too.

And Stephens is currently only 69kg vs Serong at 83kg. One body clearly much more prepared for midfield duties in senior AFL physically then the other at this point in time.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567