Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
Results 157 to 168 of 202

Thread: Match Thread. Round 9 v St Kilda.

  1. #157
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast NSW, Costa Lantana
    Posts
    6,686
    I don't know if I am reading into the play, but it struck me that when St Kilda ran with the ball they were spread out so the ball would travel 5 to 10 metres or more by handball. By contrast when we ran with the ball a lot of the time we were running in clumps and only sending the ball three or four metres at most, with opposition closed in around us so that we turned the ball over far too often. I assume this kind of thing ought to be a coach's job, so I wonder what is happening.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

  2. #158
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,087
    Seven clearances and six tackles by Rowbottom. Topped both stats for us. Dude is reliably hard every week. One of my favourites.

  3. #159
    On the veteran's list
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Swans Heartland
    Posts
    1,605
    Quote Originally Posted by tlock View Post
    Disbelievers will be left behind to suffer from their own ignorance.

    When universities are dropping these courses because of lack of scientific rigour and basis it says it all.

    With two medical doctor daughters, it annoys the hell out of me after their decade plus of training, when these quacks advertise themselves as doctors after doing some Mickey Mouse pseudo science course.

  4. #160
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,517
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I don't know if I am reading into the play, but it struck me that when St Kilda ran with the ball they were spread out so the ball would travel 5 to 10 metres or more by handball. By contrast when we ran with the ball a lot of the time we were running in clumps and only sending the ball three or four metres at most, with opposition closed in around us so that we turned the ball over far too often. I assume this kind of thing ought to be a coach's job, so I wonder what is happening.
    Yes, when I watched us live against the Eagles a few weeks ago, I noticed that. And at times, again today. That is, we sometimes seem to get in too tight a group, for handball receives. And like you say, a defender can put pressure on our player doing the handball and then follow the ball, to immediately put pressure on whoever receives it, who is often also being pressured by their own opponent. Sometimes we manage to pull it off, and seeing the ball rapidly ping around, before an effective clearance, is pretty to watch. But more often than not, it's like watching the personification of chaos theory. A little inaccuracy at the start, becomes increasingly chaotic, until things break down with a costly turnover.

  5. #161
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,517
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    When universities are dropping these courses because of lack of scientific rigour and basis it says it all.

    With two medical doctor daughters, it annoys the hell out of me after their decade plus of training, when these quacks advertise themselves as doctors after doing some Mickey Mouse pseudo science course.
    Yes, and I think the Crows might be suffering from a prime example of quackery in action. That is, their notorious preseason camp of a couple of years ago. When they seemed to think that they could give their squad a mental edge, by letting people with no psych qualifications, have a go at psychological conditioning.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Seven clearances and six tackles by Rowbottom. Topped both stats for us. Dude is reliably hard every week. One of my favourites.
    Yes, had a very good third quarter and we often look more dangerous, when he has the ball.

  6. #162
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    6,685
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I would not say Elijah Taylor goes hard. Exactly the opposite. He shirked four or five hard ball gets, and missed as many tackles. He is a talent no doubt but needs to be out of the team to develop some ticker.
    I agree with you on this. I noticed so many instances where Taylor avoided physical contact, sometimes purposely running past the opposition player with the ball in order not to make contact. I don't know if it's a 'ticker' thing, but it's something he has to do better. I don't think we are the only ones to notice this. The coaches will review the tapes and take remedial action.

    I like a lot of what Bell has done since returning to the side, but his disposal has been awful. I hope it's just a matter of getting more comfortable at AFL level and creating that fraction of a second needed to make better decisions and execution. The rest of his game looked worthy of AFL footy.

  7. #163
    One thing I noticed was how much they moved players around e.g. Hayward back in Q1 (which I really liked btw) then forward; Mills on ball then back then on-ball again; Aliir rucking and forward as well as back.
    They also rotated players on Zak Jones Q by Q

    Almost like they were treating the game as partly an opportunity to experiment.

  8. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    When universities are dropping these courses because of lack of scientific rigour and basis it says it all.

    With two medical doctor daughters, it annoys the hell out of me after their decade plus of training, when these quacks advertise themselves as doctors after doing some Mickey Mouse pseudo science course.
    And your stance on Dentists, Vets and PhD holders?

  9. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree with you on this. I noticed so many instances where Taylor avoided physical contact, sometimes purposely running past the opposition player with the ball in order not to make contact. I don't know if it's a 'ticker' thing, but it's something he has to do better. I don't think we are the only ones to notice this. The coaches will review the tapes and take remedial action.

    I like a lot of what Bell has done since returning to the side, but his disposal has been awful. I hope it's just a matter of getting more comfortable at AFL level and creating that fraction of a second needed to make better decisions and execution. The rest of his game looked worthy of AFL footy.
    I agree with you on both counts.

    With Bell, I liked his game last week but not so much last night. One of his worst disposals was when he was in the second half, he had the ball in the middle of the ground, had an age to dispose of it, didn't look like he had a clue, and then bunted it 25 metres directly to an opponent. That was depressing.

    Conversely, Ling had a mediocre game, made numerous mistakes including being easily beaten in a one on one marking contest with a similarly sized opponent close to goal, but still left me with the impression that there's a fair bit to work with and that his mistakes are fixable. In particular he looked relatively composed when he had the ball, often under a lot of pressure.

  10. #166
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I agree with you on both counts.

    With Bell, I liked his game last week but not so much last night. One of his worst disposals was when he was in the second half, he had the ball in the middle of the ground, had an age to dispose of it, didn't look like he had a clue, and then bunted it 25 metres directly to an opponent. That was depressing.

    Conversely, Ling had a mediocre game, made numerous mistakes including being easily beaten in a one on one marking contest with a similarly sized opponent close to goal, but still left me with the impression that there's a fair bit to work with and that his mistakes are fixable. In particular he looked relatively composed when he had the ball, often under a lot of pressure.
    I think the mistakes of Bell and Ling to which you refer are both explicable rookie errors they'll learn from.

    I think Ling might have expected the free for grabbing in the marking contest; he'll know better what to expect next time.

  11. #167
    scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    peaches eaten, trousers rolled
    Posts
    9,501
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I think the mistakes of Bell and Ling to which you refer are both explicable rookie errors they'll learn from.

    I think Ling might have expected the free for grabbing in the marking contest; he'll know better what to expect next time.
    Agreed, they'll both be better for the run.

    In the marking contest that Matt lost leading to the Gresham goal it was two relatively young players, but it was also a 2nd gamer up against a guy playing his 89th. No shame there, just keep learning.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

  12. #168
    From memory Rowy is the only kid put in a midfield role and allowed to stay and develop and surprise surprise it works a treat.

    No need to rest anyone this year, put them where they need to be and let them develop.

    From ETs old coach, he is a midfielder, sometimes when players look awkward about going or not going for a ball it because they are normally let go to chase it.
    We have a few caught between doing a role and actually just getting the bloody ball.

    Re Jones, 2nd round pick is always way under for an established player thats why any talk of trading guys out is always silly. The top 5 is where you can guarentee a instant impact player that should play round 1.
    However I am happy we got ET with that Jones pick, could have easily been a nothing pick that late.

    Whatever anyone thinks about Jones in the mids (i believe he was going anyway), Horse has to have had a thought about how good his clearance game was.

    The other thread is all about our trading and draftimg etc, its all null and void if you dont put blokes where they should be.
    Jones has left for a payrise and a midfield role, Mills and a few others could easily do the same.
    Lastly, after watching Dusty the other night, we need to model Heeneys game on his, start in the middle and go forward as required.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO