Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Match Thread. Round 9 v St Kilda.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    The radio is usually ahead of the tv.
    At a stoppage, freeze the tv until radio has ball about to come back into play, then hit start.
    You can fiddle with fast forward if you miss.
    It doesnt take much practice, mate.
    Im pretty illiterate technically, so it can be done.
    And it's so worth it.
    Out of interest,RB, who are special comments guys on ABC radio now. No big fans of Mclure and Malthouse if they are still doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    It's a different game. Kids are having more of an impact and becoming elite much earlier than they used to. 15, 20 years ago, nearly all teenagers were in the state leagues and barely played a match in their first few years. The form kids show in the current game is more indicative of the player they are going to be than ever before. Smith, Walsh, Rowell, Serong.. these boys will not just fade into obscurity. They are the best mids of their age group, and they'll be the best mids when they are 25+. Rowbottom I think will be in the tier below, which is no disgrace, he will be a good player, but a dominant one? Doubtful.
    Only time will tell.... what is your doubt based on precisely beyond endurance? Assuming that improves, what exactly puts him so far behind those other players? The statistics certainly don't suggest he is too far behind, despite not having the tank those players have (unless all the draft people were lying on that basis - and it seems obvious to most that is where he will improve).

And yes - the game has changed. But the trend of how players develop really has not. You still have those ready to go from day 1 (maybe more are now then previous), but you still have those that don't become superstars overnight, and increasingly you have players that come in far beyond normal recruitment ages/non-traditional pathways and become superstars after serving a long apprenticeship outside of the AFL system. There is no one size fits all way to guarantee a player will make it .

I almost guarantee one of Smith, Wash, Rowell or Serong will not reach the heights predicted by their early performances. I'll also guarantee there are multiple players on football lists currently, some even in 2nd or 3rd years, that can't currently get a crack but will prove to be top quality footballers when the chance does come.

But then, I'm not one to write off players that are yet to even play a seniors match, and neither will I put a ceiling on players who are showing huge promise early in their career because I think they are not quite at the same point at others drafted at other clubs at the same time. But then again, I haven't written us off for the next decade either.
    Last edited by mcs; 3rd August 2020 at 04:41 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Out of interest,RB, who are special comments guys on ABC radio now. No big fans of Mclure and Malthouse if they are still doing it.
    Think it was Daisy, the twins' mum from AFLW did it last weekend. She is terrific. Haven't heard either of the geriatrics doing the games I've listened to. Of course, the ABC covers plenty games .

Senior Player
    Think it was Daisy, the twins' mum from AFLW did it last weekend. She is terrific. Haven't heard either of the geriatrics doing the games I've listened to. Of course, the ABC covers plenty games .
    Ok Thx! Daisy is good having seen her on the television. Will keep this in mind.

Senior Player
    The radio is usually ahead of the tv.
    At a stoppage, freeze the tv until radio has ball about to come back into play, then hit start.
    You can fiddle with fast forward if you miss.
    It doesnt take much practice, mate.
    Im pretty illiterate technically, so it can be done.
    And it's so worth it.
    Cheers. I'll give it a go. 100% it'll be worth it!
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

We're going to hell in a handbasket.
    IF we finish last (which I'm hoping we do), do you think the Vic-centric AFL will take pity on us and give us extra (and better) draft picks?
    Me thinks not.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    I don't think they would Annie, nor should they

In any event it would take something drastic for the Crows to catch us from here

Pretty sad state of affairs when our own supporters wish us to come last.

Glad that Horse has often said we are about winning and developing a winning culture. The alternative is to be like Carlton and Melbourne.

I don't want to aspire to win the wooden spoon. I don't think it is healthy for the club.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I don't want to aspire to win the wooden spoon. I don't think it is healthy for the club.
    I can attest to that. When I was a little kid my mum used to threaten me with the wooden spoon. I can assure you the wooden spoon is not healthy for anyone.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617