Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 10 v Pies

Regular in the Side
    whats happended to mclean showed promise.

We got smashed at the clearances yesterday. Tackling, besides the 3Q was ineffectual. Disposals were poor. Just too many passengers. Question though is there anyone not playing who can improve things? Also, need to look to the future and give opportunities to those who will be a part of us moving forward. With that in mind, I would like to see Maibaum, Gould, Foote, Amartey and Wicks given an opportunity at some stage this season, if for nothing else, to see if they have enough upside to persist with. For this week, Rampe should be rested - no point suffering a long term injury for no good reason. I'd give Amartey a run over Sinclair - don't think we are ever going to win a flag with him as our ruck. Gray definitely out and Clarke offered nothing yesterday.

Out: Rampe Sinclair Gray Clarke
    In: Maibaum Gould Amartey Stephens

Out: Gray, Lewis Taylor, Clarke
    In: Stephens, McInerney, Warner

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    We got smashed at the clearances yesterday. Tackling, besides the 3Q was ineffectual. Disposals were poor. Just too many passengers. Question though is there anyone not playing who can improve things? Also, need to look to the future and give opportunities to those who will be a part of us moving forward. With that in mind, I would like to see Maibaum, Gould, Foote, Amartey and Wicks given an opportunity at some stage this season, if for nothing else, to see if they have enough upside to persist with. For this week, Rampe should be rested - no point suffering a long term injury for no good reason. I'd give Amartey a run over Sinclair - don't think we are ever going to win a flag with him as our ruck. Gray definitely out and Clarke offered nothing yesterday.

Out: Rampe Sinclair Gray Clarke
    In: Maibaum Gould Amartey Stephens
    Agreed Ralph- I’d also consider bringing Mcinerny in- bring in as many of our young blokes as possible. Ok, we’ll get smashed but at least we’ll find out what they’ve got if we give them a run of games. Remember GWS when they started? We smashed them every time- it was boys vs men, but it only lasted a couple of years. Realistically Adelaide is the only team we can beat and we’ve played them already. I don’t see us winning any more games this season and I’m ok with that, but I’d like to see some improvement. If we don’t find that in our youngsters, we are surely wasting time playing the recruits who are simply not good enough and won’t take us anywhere. They have more experience but so what? It hasn’t helped us much and certainly won’t in the future, judging by how they are playing. Sure, we have a lot of injuries but if an experienced player can’t get into high teen possessions and/or stop his direct opponent from the same, then IMHO he doesn’t deserve a game. Horse, just play the kids- this season is gone and we’ll get No 2 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Agreed Ralph- I’d also consider bringing Mcinerny in- bring in as many of our young blokes as possible. Ok, we’ll get smashed but at least we’ll find out what they’ve got if we give them a run of games. Remember GWS when they started? We smashed them every time- it was boys vs men, but it only lasted a couple of years. Realistically Adelaide is the only team we can beat and we’ve played them already. I don’t see us winning any more games this season and I’m ok with that, but I’d like to see some improvement. If we don’t find that in our youngsters, we are surely wasting time playing the recruits who are simply not good enough and won’t take us anywhere. They have more experience but so what? It hasn’t helped us much and certainly won’t in the future, judging by how they are playing. Sure, we have a lot of injuries but if an experienced player can’t get into high teen possessions and/or stop his direct opponent from the same, then IMHO he doesn’t deserve a game. Horse, just play the kids- this season is gone and we’ll get No 2 pick.
    Mcinerney is one of the weakest players we have along with Elijah Taylor. Neither can stand up in a tackle or lay a tackle.

Suspended by the MRP
    Rowbottom seemed to grab at his quad yesterday as he was chasing, then saw him with strapping at the next contest. Played out the game and looked fine but I think any niggles such as this and Cunningham's will earn players a rest this week with such a short turn-around.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Mcinerney is one of the weakest players we have along with Elijah Taylor. Neither can stand up in a tackle or lay a tackle.
    Are you questioning McInerney's heart?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Are you questioning McInerney's heart?
    No his strength to take a tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Why are we dumping Ling after two ok games?

Strongly agree with the other two changes. I wouldn't mind finding a way to spell Clarke too but I suspect we're getting a bit young.
    There are some on here that truly think you can judge the actual quality of a player on about 2 or 3 games it seems. There are not many constants or predictable factors in footy - but one thing is certainly. Exceptionally few players just hit the AFL at 'full tilt' and show what they have from day 1. In the absence of us being anywhere near challengers this year, I don't understand why we would drop players that have only just been given an opportunity in the Seniors unless they clearly need a break, are injured, or are truly stinking it up and need a chance to 'reset' (Which is definitely an argument you could apply to Blakey perhaps). Otherwise, give them a chance to show what they can do.

- - - Updated - - -

So if 'Adelaide' is realistically the only team we can beat, how did we win 2 other games as well so far, and lose 2 other games by single digit margins? I reckon we could comfortably double our number of wins before the end of the season. Yes we got smashed late yesterday, and hav

I don't disagree with giving lots of exposure to the youngsters, but I don't think the absolute negativity is warranted either.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    There are some on here that truly think you can judge the actual quality of a player on about 2 or 3 games it seems. There are not many constants or predictable factors in footy - but one thing is certainly. Exceptionally few players just hit the AFL at 'full tilt' and show what they have from day 1. In the absence of us being anywhere near challengers this year, I don't understand why we would drop players that have only just been given an opportunity in the Seniors unless they clearly need a break, are injured, or are truly stinking it up and need a chance to 'reset' (Which is definitely an argument you could apply to Blakey perhaps). Otherwise, give them a chance to show what they can do.

- - - Updated - - -

So if 'Adelaide' is realistically the only team we can beat, how did we win 2 other games as well so far, and lose 2 other games by single digit margins? I reckon we could comfortably double our number of wins before the end of the season. Yes we got smashed late yesterday, and hav

I don't disagree with giving lots of exposure to the youngsters, but I don't think the absolute negativity is warranted either.
    MCS- far from being negative, which serves no purpose whatsoever, I’m simply proposing that winning games or losing by big margins won’t make any significant difference this year. Of course I’d prefer to win, like all Swans, but let’s face it we were ok in our 2 wins against mid table teams not at their best, and in the close games we lost, I don’t recall satisfactory contributions from our recruits-hence my point about why play them? Clarke may be a little different in that he can play the role of a tagger, but as we all know his disposal is not up to scratch, to be kind.
    If some on here think that Mci and Elijah have not gone in hard, let’s give them 5-6 games to redeem themselves, as it’s unfair to judge them based on 1-2 games. I hate to be critical of any of our players or the MC, but blind Freddie can see the limitations in Gray and Squizzy. I find it hard to be tolerant of reasonably experienced players making little contributions
    but have no issues with players who have only played a handful of games making mistakes-hopefully they will learn from them!

MCS- far from being negative, which serves no purpose whatsoever, I’m simply proposing that winning games or losing by big margins won’t make any significant difference this year. Of course I’d prefer to win, like all Swans, but let’s face it we were ok in our 2 wins against mid table teams not at their best, and in the close games we lost, I don’t recall satisfactory contributions from our recruits-hence my point about why play them? Clarke may be a little different in that he can play the role of a tagger, but as we all know his disposal is not up to scratch, to be kind.
    If some on here think that Mci and Elijah have not gone in hard, let’s give them 5-6 games to redeem themselves, as it’s unfair to judge them based on 1-2 games. I hate to be critical of any of our players or the MC, but blind Freddie can see the limitations in Gray and Squizzy. I find it hard to be tolerant of reasonably experienced players making little contributions
    but have no issues with players who have only played a handful of games making mistakes-hopefully they will learn from them!
    Sorry RR, my reference was in regards to younger players, rather then the more experienced recruits - I completely agree with you on that. I do think Lewis Taylor is worth perservering with, but I'm far from convinced in Gray, and while I want to like Clarke, I don't think he is in the long term plans (though plenty of players do mature late, and find their 'niche' - so Clarke does have time).

My disagreement was your supposition that we can't realistically expect to be competitive with other teams, and Adelaide is the only team we could beat. Unless we throw all the experienced guys on the bench, we can continue to be competitive with a reasonable chunk of the league, and more then likely will jag a few more wins yet
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

If you watch mcinerney and Elijah Taylor carefully you will see they do not have the physical build to play AFL at this stage. You could teach them on the job and keep playing them but they will develop bad habits. How can it be good for Elijah Taylor to avoid any type of contact. Watch the game, it is pretty bad.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast