Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 10 v Pies

I know some might find this risible, but I think Harry Cunningham is ready to be an on-baller. He's now a tough strong player who plays solid 2-way football. He can win the ball and we know he has a real burst of speed. He's not much different from Zak Jones, except Harry is a better kick. Harry isn't leaving the Swans, but we realise now that we made a mistake by not playing Jones more at stoppages.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Method is method, Saints destroyed us with a guy that couldnt get a game in our midfield.
    Correction.....Saints destroyed us with a superior midfield that included a guy that played the first six games last season in our midfield then got injured....and then couldn't get back into our midfield when he returned because he continued to butcher the ball. It's not as simple and cut and dried as you make out. The season is young....let's see if Jones can stay in form and out of trouble for the entire season for the Saints.....and not end up an on field liability as he often was with us.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I know some might find this risible, but I think Harry Cunningham is ready to be an on-baller. He's now a tough strong player who plays solid 2-way football. He can win the ball and we know he has a real burst of speed. He's not much different from Zak Jones, except Harry is a better kick. Harry isn't leaving the Swans, but we realise now that we made a mistake by not playing Jones more at stoppages.
    Not risible, more sensible. I've had the same views on Harry for a couple of seasons now and am glad to see him successful as a mid.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Warming the Bench
    add dawson to i/c forgot him too
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    add dawson to i/c forgot him too
    Got there in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    If you watch mcinerney and Elijah Taylor carefully you will see they do not have the physical build to play AFL at this stage. You could teach them on the job and keep playing them but they will develop bad habits. How can it be good for Elijah Taylor to avoid any type of contact. Watch the game, it is pretty bad.
    I think you can include Blakey here as well.Gets monstered off the ball because of his immature body.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Correction.....Saints destroyed us with a superior midfield that included a guy that played the first six games last season in our midfield then got injured....and then couldn't get back into our midfield when he returned because he continued to butcher the ball. It's not as simple and cut and dried as you make out. The season is young....let's see if Jones can stay in form and out of trouble for the entire season for the Saints.....and not end up an on field liability as he often was with us.
    Im not concerned about losing Jones, but lets not talk about a Superior midfield. Have a look at Saints list, its certainly method over class.
    I wouldnt chase a single player in that midfield if they were free agents.

We have injuries no doubt but we still had enough to run with them no names.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I can't see why the midfield coaches are being criticised in light of the way the season has gone. We lose our only good ruckman who was key to our preseason training, then COVID limits the training schedule. 3 top midfielders go down with injury and we find ourselves shuffling around a group of debutantes and under 10 gamers. I think some expectations are unrealistic.
    I actually think our Midfield all things considered is doing pretty well - yes its clearly struggling at times, but there are also times where they are doing some really good work and getting on top. Given where the group is at, the injuries we have, its unrealistic to expect our midfield to manage to match motors with much more experienced groups then others for entire games.

The pain is hard to watch at the moment, but I think our next core group of midfielders is increasingly becoming clear in my mind, and I think there will be a good balance within it. Keep getting games into the young guys and the improvement will come - look at Ollie Florent for instance.

Interesting to read where his percieved weaknesses were at draft time: 2016 AFL Draft prospects: Oliver Florent | Zero Hanger . I certainly didn't see him becoming as effective as an inside midfielder as he has already become, and he will only continue to improve from here.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

What I like about what we are doing this year is finally executing our plan to move the ball quickly through the corridor. We have to keep doing this, even though it's going look easy to stop at times, especially if our disposal is off. We did well at times in recent games, but couldn't keep it going.

That 2016 draft that mcs noted, was when we started to change our personnel through the draft and began drafting for speed and skills. Florent and Hayward were 2 of this type of player (regardless of what some may think of them now, the intent was there).

Lets reflect on the number of players drafted for speed and skill in the past 4 drafts:

Ronke, Florent, Hayward, Bell, Ling, Stoddart, Blakey, McInerney, Rowbottom, Reynolds, Foot, Stephens, Gould, E. Taylor, Warner, Rowles.

16 players in 4 drafts. Not all of them will make it, but most will. The Swans are changing and the game plan is developing in anticipation of this change in personnel.

There are only 8 games left to the season. We need to keep it going with this game plan and not worry about win-loss results.

Regular in the Side
    Since many are talking about a more aggressive way to fast track our young players when our final ranking this season doesn't matter much, I am proposing 7 changes which don't think will change the final results too much. I know it won't happen but no harm in "thinking aloud":

Backs: Lloyd, +Maibaum*, Fox, +Melican, Aliir, Gould* Rampe
    Mids: Cunningham, Mills, Dawson, +Amartey*(1st Ruck), Parker, Florent, +Foot*,Rowbottom, Bell
    Forward, +Wicks*, Reed, Hayward, McCartin, +McLean(2nd Ruck), Papley

IN: + ; DEBUT: *
    OUT: ET, L Taylor, Gray, Sinclair, Clarke, Blakey, Ling

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    "...Seems to me we have too many guys around the ball worrying about what not to do rather than just get the bloody ball. Everyone is flat footed which means you have no intention of attacking...
    That could also be a consequence of the inconsistency of umpires interpretation of holding the ball, it can change from quarter to quarter. Unfortunately being second to the ball and tackling can sometimes be the more rewarding tactic. Improves your pressure rating, which the commentators love to bang on about
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Bring Buddy back.
    Let him stand in the goal square and do nothing but just stand there.
    He'll draw four defenders - leaves Paps, et al to goal to their hearts' content.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast