Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 10 v Pies

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    You can win a flag without a dominant ruckman, but you do need a competitive one. Sinclair is not a ruckman, and wont be a premiership ruckman.
    Correct.. we let one go in Nank the Tank... and one in Mummy. Anyway, no use crying over spilt milk.

Looking forward to see what Michael Knoll has to offer one he is sufficiently fit.

Anyway this is not really about this season but the next one....

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Harry is the lock down defender, Nick Smith replacement. He must stay there.
    I think a stronger midfield is more important than a lockdown defender, I’m on the Harry to mids bandwagon

Veterans List
    Other teams making lots of changes to rest players, wonder if we'll have a few extra changes accordingly.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Other teams making lots of changes to rest players, wonder if we'll have a few extra changes accordingly.
    We’ve been making more changes than normal this year, I’m sure we’ll follow suit

Changes for Round 10 v Pies

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    It's strange, isn't it? I think even Longmire in his post-match press conference, said something along the lines of: we got smashed in the clearances. But statistically, we didn't? Though I suppose that's a quantitative assessment, rather than a qualitative one.
    Yeah I think clearances need to be broken into categories to tell the full story. Effective and ineffective maybe. All well and good winning the clearances but if they all end up down the throat of the opposition more times than not it doesn’t really help. Conversely you can win far fewer but if they are clean and gain your side territory and land in a teammates arms, it’s a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Melbourne_Blood; 4th August 2020 at 09:58 PM.

I suspect that we all could go close to agreeing that if you pick warner or ling or you dont pick warner or ling it wont make a serious difference to the outcome of a game.

Same for most of the peripheral players that are fighting for experience and or emerging into our 22

For me i dont care much either way re which emerging young players is in or out..........but what i am not a fan of is persisting with dead wood / robbing opportunity for our youth in a season where the only advantage we gain is more games for our youth.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Yeah I think clearances need to be broken into categories to tell the full story. Effective and ineffective maybe. All well and good winning the clearances but if they all end up down the throat of the opposition more times than not it doesn’t really help. Conversely you can win far fewer but if they are clean and gain your side territory and land in a teammates arms, it’s a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, I wonder if the clubs keep more detailed stats, than what is available to the general public? I assume they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I suspect that we all could go close to agreeing that if you pick warner or ling or you dont pick warner or ling it wont make a serious difference to the outcome of a game.

Same for most of the peripheral players that are fighting for experience and or emerging into our 22 .
    I think we create peripheral players when we play them out of position.
    Ling is a different story due to injury but no way, no how is Warner a small forward. Put him in the middle.

Look at Cerong, played on ball against Danger and after 3 games being talked up as a running mate to Fyfe.

We took 4 yrs to put Mills on Bont.
    Give them a taste of why they were drafted and we might be surprised.

From the Swans bloody website -

Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Harry is the lock down defender, Nick Smith replacement. He must stay there.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I think a stronger midfield is more important than a lockdown defender, I’m on the Harry to mids bandwagon
    HC isn't a 1 on 1 defender.
    He was a good wing man back in the sling shot days. Speed and decent kick in to forward line. Now, if only we had a forward line ...
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    We should look at resting players who have niggling injuries.

For what it's worth, we have a bye coming up but that's not a real bye because it's only a 7-day break. That bye only seems to exist so we can be switched from the "late" half of a round's fixture to the "early" half. When we play the Giants on August 13, Geelong play Port Adelaide the following day. We have not played either of these sides yet and I'm expecting our next two games in the next fixture block to be against at least one of these sides, possibly both. (I can't work out the Giant's likely next opponents though, they've already played both of these sides and both of the sides that play the following day, North and Brisbane.)

Therefore, do not be surprised if we end up making six or more changes, and Collingwood do the same. Other clubs are already doing it this week. Team changes showing players being "managed": Geelong 4 (plus 1 injured) vs North 3 (plus 1 injured), Adelaide 4 (plus 4 omitted), Melbourne none (plus 1 injury and 3 omitted).
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    I think we create peripheral players when we play them out of position.
    Ling is a different story due to injury but no way, no how is Warner a small forward. Put him in the middle.

Look at Cerong, played on ball against Danger and after 3 games being talked up as a running mate to Fyfe.

We took 4 yrs to put Mills on Bont.
    Give them a taste of why they were drafted and we might be surprised.
    +1

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast