Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Round 10: the other games. Festival of the Boot (part 2).

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Richmond are amazing. A few years ago Hardwick was going to be sacked. Couldnt coach his way out of a paper bag.
    Then the list matured, and they had a good list, and did well. Hardwick survives, but is it the list or him?
    Now they have lots of injuries and still winning. Must be coach and tactices, not list.
    Why is the reason not what you say in the first part of your sentence, that they had a good young list that matured. Cotchin, Martin, Rance and Riewoldt makes a pretty good core of players. They also made a few good recruiting moves that got players like Grieg and Houli, that weren't considered top tier players at the time. That's a typical story of how a team becomes successful. The good coaching and tactics part goes with recognising what your list can do and adjust the playing style to suit the list. They didn't have a good ruckman or much height, in general, so got the ball moving quickly forward at ground level, rather than high and long.

So a team can go from a laughing stock to great in a short time, when finally, a group of players that were hopefuls turn into genuine stars. I hope we are following the same path, but only the passage of time will tell if it all works out.

The Richmond story shows that success can take a long time. Those key players were well into their mid twenties before things really stated clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Why is the reason not what you say in the first part of your sentence, that they had a good young list that matured. Cotchin, Martin, Rance and Riewoldt makes a pretty good core of players. They also made a few good recruiting moves that got players like Grieg and Houli, that weren't considered top tier players at the time. That's a typical story of how a team becomes successful. The good coaching and tactics part goes with recognising what your list can do and adjust the playing style to suit the list. They didn't have a good ruckman or much height, in general, so got the ball moving quickly forward at ground level, rather than high and long.

So a team can go from a laughing stock to great in a short time, when finally, a group of players that were hopefuls turn into genuine stars. I hope we are following the same path, but only the passage of time will tell if it all works out.

The Richmond story shows that success can take a long time. Those key players were well into their mid twenties before things really stated clicking.
    Yeah, nah. I prefer the soul selling narative. It went a bit like this...

The devil went down to Punt Road.
    He was lookin' for a soul to steal
    He was in a bind
    'Cause he was way behind
    And he was willin' to make a deal

When he came across this young man
    Sawin' on a magnetic board and playin' it hot
    And the devil jumped up on a hickory stump
    And said, "boy, let me tell you what"

"I guess you didn't know it
    But I'm a level 3 AFL accredited coach too
    And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you
    Now you coach a pretty good team, boy
    But give the devil his due
    I'll bet an AFL dynasty
    Against your soul
    'Cause I think I'm better than you."

The boy said, "my name's Damo
    And it might be a sin
    But I'll take your bet, you're gonna regret
    'Cause I'm about to get the sack soon"

Damo, rosin up your board and shuffle your players hard
    'Cause Hell's broke loose in tiger land, and the devil deals the cards
    And if you win, you get this shiny team made of gold
    But if you lose, the devil gets your soul

The devil opened up his duffle bag
    And he said, "I'll start this show."
    And fire flew from his fingertips
    As he rosined up the list
    And he pulled the pen across the paper
    And it made an evil hiss
    Then a band of demons joined in
    And it sounded something like this

"lots of scratching noises"

When the devil finished
    Damo said, "well, you're pretty good, ol' son
    But sit down in that chair right there
    And let me show you how it's done."

"Fire on the Mountain" run boys, run
    The devil's in the House of the Rising Sun
    Chicken in a bread pan pickin' out dough
    Granny, does your dog bite? No, child, no

Damo bowed his head
    Because he knew that he'd been beat
    And he laid out his soul
    On the ground at the Devils feet
    The Devil said, "Damo, just come on back
    If you ever wanna try again
    I done told you once you son of a bitch
    I've got the best match day tactics that's ever been."

He played "Fire on the Mountain" run boys, run
    The devil's in the House of the Rising Sun
    The chicken in a bread pan pickin' out dough
    Granny, will be yours son, now off you go

Lol Barry.

RIP Charlie Daniels. And check out the keyboard player - must be Dane Rampe!

The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Lol Barry.

A devil is in the detail of the last few lines.

He played "Fire on the Mountain" run boys, run -- Run and apply manic pressure
    The devil's in the House of the Rising Sun -- Get a heap of good players from the Gold Coast Suns
    The chicken in a bread pan pickin' out dough -- Forget about the salary cap.
    Granny, will be yours son, now off you go -- Even though Ive won your soul, I'll give you a couple of cheapy grand finals against non-vic teams at your home ground, now get out of my sight!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Lol Barry.

Wrong hand!

Nice work Barry
    Last edited by 707; 5th August 2020 at 04:35 PM.

Very clever Barry.

Good to see someone with more time on his hands than me.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    A devil is in the detail of the last few lines.

He played "Fire on the Mountain" run boys, run -- Run and apply manic pressure
    The devil's in the House of the Rising Sun -- Get a heap of good players from the Gold Coast Suns
    The chicken in a bread pan pickin' out dough -- Forget about the salary cap.
    Granny, will be yours son, now off you go -- Even though Ive won your soul, I'll give you a couple of cheapy grand finals against non-vic teams at your home ground, now get out of my sight!
    I'll pay that.đź‘Ť

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Except that’s not how it happened. Tigers underperformed for years and made major changes to assistant coaches, list, game plan at the end of 2016. Without those changes they’d not be a dual premiership side.

It wasn’t evolution it was revolution.

Round 10: the other games. Festival of the Boot (part 2).

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Wrong hand!

Nice work Barry
    Ah, but that’s the cunning ploy by Dane The Keyboard Player to trick the opposition into targeting the uninjured hand - bandage the healthy hand in a sling.

Veterans List
    They have to throw the book at that Melbourne player who did the double sling tackle.

barry on 🔥
    I'm loving the new barry!

Melbourne just lost the opportunity to kick for a goal 20m out straight in front after the siren due to another Melbourne player shoving a Crows player in the back on to the ground. The umpire cancelled Melbourne’s free kick, first quarter over.

Shows how lucky we were not to lose the second Papley goal couple of weeks ago when Sinclair knocked over a Hawthorn player. I suspect umps have been told to tighten up on this sort of gratuitous and unnecessary aggression.

Hope all Swans players take note - Sinclair I’m looking at you in particular.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast