Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 10: the other games. Festival of the Boot (part 2).

Round 10: the other games. Festival of the Boot (part 2).

Thought I'd start this thread already, as the second round of the AFL's festival of footy actually starts tonight, with the Port v Bulldogs game. Until Friday, the round has a game each night. We play Collingwood at the Gabba on Thursday.

Tonight's game seems like a tipster's nightmare to me. Both side have looked excellent when winning and ordinary when losing. Could be a frenetic, highly entertaining and closely fought contest. Or it could be a 40 or 50 point win: to either side.

Actually, now that I've checked, Wednesday and Thursday both have two matches.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Tonight's game seems like a tipster's nightmare to me. Both side have looked excellent when winning and ordinary when losing. Could be a frenetic, highly entertaining and closely fought contest. Or it could be a 40 or 50 point win: to either side.
    The modelers are going with Port, and may that indeed be the case

Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs @ Adelaide Oval

Adelaide v Melbourne could be interesting. At Adelaide Oval, Melbourne woeful last round, could be a chance for Adelaide's first win. If not they truly are woeful.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post

Adelaide v Melbourne could be interesting. At Adelaide Oval, Melbourne woeful last round, could be a chance for Adelaide's first win. If not they truly are woeful.
    Yes, and I notice that they're predicting Collingwood to beat us, with much the same degree of unanimity. Though I am curious how much the predictions are amended, once the teams are announced? I mean, if I was a dedicated stats person, I think I would be loathe to make a prediction, until I knew who was running out. As in, did the star player for Team A get over his hamstring niggle. Or was there a couple of unexpected outs for Team B. Or even, does the advantage swing away from the taller and heavier team A, now that rain is predicted.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post

Melbourne may be woeful but have you watched the Crows, would struggle in the SANFL right now. If the Dees lose to the Crows then Goodwin is gone, way too much talent to get beaten by the hapless Crows.

Senior Player
    Though I am curious how much the predictions are amended, once the teams are announced? I mean, if I was a dedicated stats person, I think I would be loathe to make a prediction, until I knew who was running out.
    Good questions! I don't know the details of the models and which, if any, use individual player stats. One issue might be that the predictions need to be submitted well ahead of time, so perhaps don't use player data because late changes would invalidate the models.

I know there is some interest in that area though, for example this blog post.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Melbourne may be woeful but have you watched the Crows, would struggle in the SANFL right now. If the Dees lose to the Crows then Goodwin is gone, way too much talent to get beaten by the hapless Crows.
    "Woeful"? I believe Melbourne are two spots higher (with a game in hand) than us on the ladder right now...
    I know he is a South Australian but you have to wonder if Matthew Nicks is wishing he never left the assistant gig
    at GWS right now.

Enjoyable first quarter in the Port v Bulldogs game. Some good skills and hard contests. Had to feel for Port first gamer Boyd Woodcock, though. First shot for goal, first goal celebration, only to be denied by the AFL equivalent of snicko.

Veterans List
    Did anyone see the 20 metre throw by Libba? Got pinged for one right in front of the ump a few minutes earlier, but how that got missed has me puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Did anyone see the 20 metre throw by Libba? Got pinged for one right in front of the ump a few minutes earlier, but how that got missed has me puzzled.
    Yes, of all the blatant chuckers in the Bulldogs, he's become the most blatant. And when they do get pinged, they have the nerve to loudly remonstrate with the umpires.

Senior Player
    Yes, of all the blatant chuckers in the Bulldogs, he's become the most blatant. And when they do get pinged, they have the nerve to loudly remonstrate with the umpires.
    Well, Libba Jnr is really disappointed with the inconsistency of the umpiring, because let's face it they won a flag for throwing.
    Also, he doesn't like to be singled out for ridicule. The Bulldogs are all about inclusion. They all throw together, as one. In fact
    at training the traditional hand pass has been banned since the 2016 pre season and it's been edited out of all footage they use.
    They are in the process of expunging all images of the hand pass from the clubs historical records and photos, even going so
    far as burning very valuable footy cards of the great EJ hand passing. They are hand pass deniers.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Well, Libba Jnr is really disappointed with the inconsistency of the umpiring, because let's face it they won a flag for throwing.
    Also, he doesn't like to be singled out for ridicule. The Bulldogs are all about inclusion. They all throw together, as one. In fact
    at training the traditional hand pass has been banned since the 2016 pre season and it's been edited out of all footage they use.
    They are in the process of expunging all images of the hand pass from the clubs historical records and photos, even going so
    far as burning very valuable footy cards of the great EJ hand passing. They are hand pass deniers.
    Haha.

And now the Pigs have distilled an easy-to-remember slogan created by the Dogs of the kennel, "4 throws good, handballs bad".

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast