Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Round 10 Vs Pies at Gabba

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Clarko was right, Papley does milk frees!

Problem now is that umpires will have him stamped as a stager and he'll get less frees that are genuinely there, not happy with this :-(

Plus he missed the goal from that staging!
    If clarko was right or not i don't give a @@@@. Like Longmire said you don't comment on other teams players in a negative way. He did the same to Ramps a few years ago but if other coaches said poppy faked it for frees he would of freaked out. He is a hypocritical piece of @@@@.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Jordan Lewis giving lectures on staging is, how shall we say, interesting

Lewis ashamed of 'dive' against Essendon
    Don't know if he's opened his mouth this time around, but in the past, when Matthew Lloyd has tut-tutted about staging, I've found it a touch ironic.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Again, if Buckley had kept his loose scuttlebutt to himself, this could have been worked out sensibly and in private.

Funny, about three weeks ago I quite liked Buckley and Hardwick.
    I quite liked (and still quite like) Buckley. This was unusual for him. Hardwick on the other hand is straight from the Clarkson, constantly whinging, poor loser, hypocritical, graceless turd factory. No surprise and no reason to like him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    If clarko was right or not i don't give a @@@@. Like Longmire said you don't comment on other teams players in a negative way. He did the same to Ramps a few years ago but if other coaches said poppy faked it for frees he would of freaked out. He is a hypocritical piece of @@@@.
    Ha, this is exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote my previous post, and hadn't even seen this yet!
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The fact is Maynard used his forearm to push Papley out of the contest. It was clearly a push in the back when he was in the air. The way the umpiring was going there is a fair chance that the free otherwise would not have been paid. Tom let himself down by missing the goal.
    I agree, Nico. I only revisited the footage of this today, and while it might seem that he flung himself forward, I am not entirely sure how you can dive forward when you have already left the ground - all he really did was arch his shoulders and flick his legs back when pushed forward by Maynard. Seems pretty harmless, and pretty common, to me.

Did the AFL say that the free kick was incorrect?

I'm not sure what the definition of "Staging" is? Is it diving or indicating contact where there has been none? Or is it exaggerating contact to earn a free-kick (something Rance was no stranger to)?

According to the AFL it can include: "Excessive exaggeration of contact in an unsportsmanlike manner [which then begs the next question] Staging shall be a Reportable Offence as it may: (1) Affect umpires’ decision-making; (2) Incite a melee; and/or (3) Not be in the spirit of the game (unsportsmanlike)."

So exaggerating contact is NOT staging unless it is "Excessive" and "in an unsportsmanlike manner" whatever that means. I'd love to know what those two terms mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    So exaggerating contact is NOT staging unless it is "Excessive" and "in an unsportsmanlike manner" whatever that means. I'd love to know what those two terms mean?
    I would think that 'unsportsmanlike' would indicate that the action was unfair or dishonest. Perhaps it was not technically honest in that he was likely exaggerating the effect on the contact. But I don't think it was particularly excessive (when compared with what we see each and every round). Had there not been a conversation in the media about Papley 'milking' free kicks, due to Clarkson's comment, I doubt this would have been highlighted on the day or penalised by the MRO.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    But I also feel very concerned for Wicks. A very young player, on debut, played a good game, kicked a goal - should have been a wonderful memory for life.
    And now he has this nastiness hurled at him. I see he has turned off comments on his Instagram account. Gawd I hate the anonymous bullies on social media.
    Unfortunately, that's what anonymity generates.
    Prior to the internet, such worthless trolls only had the walls of public lavatories as a forum to daub with their anonymous utterances.
    These days the same rubbish can be daubed throughout the world wide web, the trolls don't even have to get off their backside and buy a felt tip pen.

“Sydney has accepted the financial sanction on Tom Papley for 'staging' - but the club does not believe the gun small forward was guilty of anything other than winning a free kick.”

“Sources close to the Swans suggest they believed they had potential grounds to contest the ruling, given Papley clearly received a push in the back from Maynard during the incident in question, but that it ultimately wasn't worth taking further.”

Tom Papley accepts $500 fine for 'staging' Sydney star was pinged for diving in a one-on-one contest with the Pies' Brayden Maynard.
    http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/p...5k27.html?btis

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    “Sydney has accepted the financial sanction on Tom Papley for 'staging' - but the club does not believe the gun small forward was guilty of anything other than winning a free kick.”

“Sources close to the Swans suggest they believed they had potential grounds to contest the ruling, given Papley clearly received a push in the back from Maynard during the incident in question, but that it ultimately wasn't worth taking further.”

Tom Papley accepts $500 fine for 'staging' Sydney star was pinged for diving in a one-on-one contest with the Pies' Brayden Maynard.
    http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/p...5k27.html?btis
    Article includes the welcome news that Greene won't be playing and Davis might not.

Warming the Bench
    The Quaynor injury.... I watched the replay several times stopping and starting each frame. As the tackle progressed you can see Wick's right boot make contact with Quaynor above his right knee; momentarily. Then, as the tackle continues Quaynors right leg (below his knee) is dragging along the ground. Some on here have mentioned this. Then as the tackle concludes - Wicks disposes of the ball and both players fall to the ground. It's not clear but I think I can see where Wicks left boot comes into contact with Quaynors lower right leg. Both players are moving in the same direction so it's impossible to conclude Wicks's studs did that kind of damage. That kind of incident where a players boots come into contact with another players legs happen 100 times every game.
    Quaynor is 20 and still growing; also spending time in the gym to get stronger. As others have said his muscles and skin would be very taut. Sadly, for Quaynor this is just a freak injury and I hope he recovers fully. The fact the AFL did not see fit to sanction either Wicks or clubs indicates it was just a freak injury. As has also been mentioned many times, many other players wear boots with a similar stud pattern.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Interesting tidbit on the FOX FOOTY podcast where Tom Morris claims at least one Collingwood player told the doctor treating Quaynor to slow down to give them time to recruit

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Interesting tidbit on the FOX FOOTY podcast where Tom Morris claims at least one Collingwood player told the doctor treating Quaynor to slow down to give them time to recruit
    recruit??

Or did you mean regroup? (that is, to regroup on field as Swans had momentum at the time).

If the latter, even if true, I doubt the doctor needed to be encouraged to slow down. Having seen the photo of the gaping wound I can understand why the doctor was holding it together and didn’t want any bumps from a fast-moving trolley that might cause the split to worsen.

It was a gruesome injury. From the video it is pretty clear Quaynor was suffering shock - and I would be too if I looked down at my leg and it was split open.