Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Round 10 Vs Pies at Gabba

Veterans List
    Clarko was right, Papley does milk frees!

Problem now is that umpires will have him stamped as a stager and he'll get less frees that are genuinely there, not happy with this :-(

Plus he missed the goal from that staging!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    That was my comment this morning. I now see, "Tom Papley, Sydney Swans, has been charged with Staging (Fixed Financial Sanction) during the fourth quarter of the Round 10 match between Collingwood and the Sydney Swans, played at the Gabba on Thursday August 6." https://www.afl.com.au/news/482111/m...g-against-pies

Although we all love Tom's energy and skill, I remain of the opinion that he let himself and the club down on this occasion.
    +1

However, I do hope that they apply this more broadly than the one player singled out by AFL coaching director Clarkson?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I’ve watched the Quaynor tackle on Wicks several times and I can’t see how Wicks studs could have caused Quaynor’s awful injury.

But as Quaynor brings Wicks down his right leg below the knee - where the huge long gash is - appears to drag along the ground for some distance as a result of Wicks’ forward momentum.

I reckon they need to check the ground in the area that the incident happened. I’m wondering if the injury has been caused by a sprinkler head that has not been fully embedded below the surface.
    From the footage I saw it looked like Wicks boot touched him higher up the leg. I can't see how he would have caused the injury.

Veterans List
    The fact is Maynard used his forearm to push Papley out of the contest. It was clearly a push in the back when he was in the air. The way the umpiring was going there is a fair chance that the free otherwise would not have been paid. Tom let himself down by missing the goal.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    From the footage I saw it looked like Wicks boot touched him higher up the leg. I can't see how he would have caused the injury.
    On before the game Reiwolt produced 2 boots that are widely used with metal stops. He and Brown both ran their hands down the stops and said they couldn't feel the difference between the plastic and metal stops. Brown said the metal stops are used in wet weather to prevent slipping over. He said moulded soles are not good in wet weather so where do we go from here. Neither Wicks or the Swans are at fault. Move on.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    On before the game Reiwolt produced 2 boots that are widely used with metal stops. He and Brown both ran their hands down the stops and said they couldn't feel the difference between the plastic and metal stops. Brown said the metal stops are used in wet weather to prevent slipping over. He said moulded soles are not good in wet weather so where do we go from here. Neither Wicks or the Swans are at fault. Move on.
    Interesting, thanks.

Would have gone much differently if Buckley had raised his concerns discreetly. Another opposition coach with a drive-by.

Straight into the fire for the lad, Wicks. I'm backing him to repeat it next week. The poise showed in his first game suggests a strong mind.

The #studgate controversy does currently seem to be very light on facts.

Is control of a game when u are ahead on the scoreboard but u rarely have had the ball

Or is it when u are ahead on the scoreboard and u do have the ball

Buckley said that he felt that the pies controlled the game and were extremely efficient !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I feel pretty sorry for Quaynor. That’s a really awful looking injury. Can’t imagine it’s going to be easy to fix neatly or quickly.
    As long as it doesn't get infected, it will heal fine. He's young, with good healing. The risk is infection. Footy studs would be dirty. it's a much better option than the fracture everyone thought it was at the time.

SEN has this about #Studsgate. If its true that the players remonstrated with Wicks before the game that's really not good.

Magpies players questioned Sam Wicks' studs choice prior to Isaac Quaynor injury

COLLINGWOOD players approached Sam Wicks before the game to question him about his boots. It can be revealed that several Pies players noticed Wicks’ choice of steel studs ahead of the opening bounce and told him they were not allowed...

Wicks was wearing the Nike Tiempo Legend 8, which comes with a soft ground version that has a mix of steel and moulded studs.

The Swans said in their statement that: "... These boots are understood to be widely worn by players across the competition." If so, why would Collingwood allegedly single Wicks out? Shame SEN hasn't named one of the players.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    SEN has this about #Studsgate. If its true that the players remonstrated with Wicks before the game that's really not good.

Magpies players questioned Sam Wicks' studs choice prior to Isaac Quaynor injury

COLLINGWOOD players approached Sam Wicks before the game to question him about his boots. It can be revealed that several Pies players noticed Wicks’ choice of steel studs ahead of the opening bounce and told him they were not allowed...

Wicks was wearing the Nike Tiempo Legend 8, which comes with a soft ground version that has a mix of steel and moulded studs.

The Swans said in their statement that: "... These boots are understood to be widely worn by players across the competition." If so, why would Collingwood allegedly single Wicks out? Shame SEN hasn't named one of the players.
    It's all about ratings. There would have been plenty of rabid Pies supporters willing to call up.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Is control of a game when u are ahead on the scoreboard but u rarely have had the ball

Or is it when u are ahead on the scoreboard and u do have the ball

Buckley said that he felt that the pies controlled the game and were extremely efficient !!!
    Strange man. Fancy having to look at that grim face every session.