Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Round 10 Vs Pies at Gabba

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Oh dear.
    #freekickcollingwood

Hopefully the crows will pull a few wins together so we can get their draft picks.
    Fear not Annie, Crows have pick 1 sewn up but I'd like us to lock in pick 2. Crows will take local lad Tilthorpe, means we then have the entire pool to choose from :-)

As Stella said a few posts back "brave contests" and I say keep playing the kids, but 4 points not needed!

Just showed the picture of Quaynor's injury to the Orthopaedic surgeon I'm working with today. In his opinion, looks like the skin has split due to a solid wack rather than the scrapping of some metal studs. His comment was that Quaynor needs to back off on his leg days and the steroids, especially if he wants it to heal well🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Fear not Annie, Crows have pick 1 sewn up but I'd like us to lock in pick 2. Crows will take local lad Tilthorpe, means we then have the entire pool to choose from :-)

As Stella said a few posts back "brave contests" and I say keep playing the kids, but 4 points not needed!
    Noice.
    We don't need a kid who wants to go back to mummy in Adelaide, anyway.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Also I thought that was Papley's worst performance of the year. He has kept us in or won us games so far this year, so to get so close with dubious umpiring and without him making an impact was reassuring.
    Odysseus goes back a fair way, and thinks Papley's little performance when he jumped about a metre forward and pretended to be shoved in the back in a marking contest was the worst acting since Hegelochus ruined an entire Greek tragedy by butchering his lines and saying, 'After the storm I see a weasel'. I don't like attributing our losses to umpiring decisions, but am nevertheless sympathetic with criticisms made of last night's umpiring. Papley's theatrics don't help us, if they create a sense of disbelief and disdain in the umpires' minds. And the worst of it is - after that performance, Clarko's outrageous comments a couple of weeks ago don't look as stupid as they ought.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    We generally enjoyed the game at our place, not the prettiest spectacle and sucks to lose (although Stella Jr has adopted a sage like serene approach of "if not finals, brave contests and a high draft pick please") but our general consensus was you saw encouraging signs from most of the young guys- that may be perhaps wanting to see it and then seeing it, but certainly a more fun way to watch this season.

In particular we loved the burst from Stephens (in I think the 3rd quarter?), much satisfied chortling of "oh, so THAT'S what a high draft pick looks like!".
    I, too, am with those who generally saw last night as a positive, and thought Stephens' improving in front of our eyes a particular highlight. Just a few weeks ago he had the ball within the forward 50 and felt obligated to pass it off rather than have the shot he should have taken, and last night he's kicking a terrific goal while bracing against a tackle. It was very encouraging.

I think more credit should be given to Horse. Some RWO-ers have argued for wholesale changes bringing in youth. I think that ignores the psychology of the game - that it's dispiriting playing games that you know you're going to lose. What the match committee have managed to do, brilliantly, is bring in a number of our youngsters but put them in a team which, although not favoured to win, has a chance, even against better teams (or reputedly better teams). For example, Richmond, then again last night. Dropping Blakey says you don't keep a spot on potential alone, and was another good decision. Hope we get to see Gould soon. And yet despite our being competitive in most of our games, we look like getting number 2 pick. Brilliant management, while also developing younsters! It augurs well for the years ahead.

‘Gillon McLachlan says it is against AFL rules for players to wear metal stops, as the league investigates how Collingwood youngster Isaac Quaynor had his shin split open in the game against Sydney on Thursday night.’

‘The AFL's football operations boss Steven Hocking was due to meet with Swans football manager Charlie Gardiner on Friday morning before the club departs for Perth.’

Perhaps Wicks’ studs did cause Quaynor’s gruesome injury.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...06-p55jig.html

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I’ve watched the Quaynor tackle on Wicks several times and I can’t see how Wicks studs could have caused Quaynor’s awful injury.

But as Quaynor brings Wicks down his right leg below the knee - where the huge long gash is - appears to drag along the ground for some distance as a result of Wicks’ forward momentum.

I reckon they need to check the ground in the area that the incident happened. I’m wondering if the injury has been caused by a sprinkler head that has not been fully embedded below the surface.
    I hope Quaynor makes a quick recovery from this injury.

I haven't seen the footage, but the AFL needs to investigate the incident impartially. They should not allow Mr Everywhere to influence the investigation.

The sprinkler theory is possible. It could be possible there's other metal under the surface as well.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    ‘Gillon McLachlan says it is against AFL rules for players to wear metal stops, as the league investigates how Collingwood youngster Isaac Quaynor had his shin split open in the game against Sydney on Thursday night.’

‘The AFL's football operations boss Steven Hocking was due to meet with Swans football manager Charlie Gardiner on Friday morning before the club departs for Perth.’

Perhaps Wicks’ studs did cause Quaynor’s gruesome injury.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...06-p55jig.html
    Nah, the more times that I've looked at it, the more I'm convinced, that the only contact by Wicks's boot, is late contact to the thigh. This is after Quaynor has already slid along the turf, and it obviously didn't cause the shin damage. The fact that the story is snowballing, seems to be an excellent example of groupthink in action.

Plenty of positives and negatives out of yesterdays match.

My positives:

- Fox. I love the man and he easily wins most improved this year. Credit to the coaches for playing him down back too.
    - Wicks is a beauty. Needs to play every game for the rest of the year and is far ahead of Ronke, Taylor and Gray.
    - Stephens has skills and talent. Will be a gun when we can pump games into him.
    - Thurlow
    - Dawson finally getting some form
    - How good is Rowbottom!

Negatives:

- Taylor is soft as butter. Doesn't play Swans football and doesn't deserve another game in the seniors this year.
    - Parker. Yes he tackled but that's it. 12 disposals, does nothing with his disposals, no goals, needs to lift.
    - As a senior player, Reid needs to step up but hasn't. Very disappointing.
    - Aliir has potential but isn't showing it.
    - Ling won't make it. Been on the list for years, gets his chance and isn't any good.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Nah, the more times that I've looked at it, the more I'm convinced, that the only contact by Wicks's boot, is late contact to the thigh. This is after Quaynor has already slid along the turf, and it obviously didn't cause the shin damage. The fact that the story is snowballing, seems to be an excellent example of groupthink in action.
    I just rewatched it and as Quanor is chasing right behind Wicks I think his feet (back heel studs) likely made contact with the shin. You can tell as soon as he lets go he knows what happened.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    I just rewatched it and as Quanor is chasing right behind Wicks I think his feet (back heel studs) likely made contact with the shin. You can tell as soon as he lets go he knows what happened.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Don't know what you're watching, but while Wicks is running at pace, his right boot doesn't get any closer than about 20-30cm to the right shin of Quaynor. Once Quaynor slides, there may be contact between boot and thigh, but that's not where the gash is. The left boot is on a different plane.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    I just rewatched it and as Quaynor is chasing right behind Wicks I think his feet (back heel studs) likely made contact with the shin. You can tell as soon as he lets go he knows what happened.
    Yes, I've watched a few times now and I think it's possible Quaynor either slid onto the heel at the end of the slide, or was clipped just before going to ground.

It's hard to see even slowed down because it's over at the far left of the frame, but you do see him react at that point.

And the Swans have confirmed mixed stops including metal, so we don't have to conjecture other causes (which is not to rule them out). I'm not saying anything is conclusive, just very possible.

If true it's very unfortunate and I'm sure Wicks feels rotten about it, I guess the league as a whole will learn from the incident.
    Last edited by neilfws; 7th August 2020 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Yes, I've watched a few times now and I think it's possible Quaynor either slid onto the heel at the end of the slide, or was clipped just before going to ground.

It's hard to see even slowed down because it's over at the far left of the frame, but you do see him react at that point.

And the Swans have confirmed mixed stops including metal, so we don't have to conjecture other causes (which is not to rule them out). I'm not saying anything is conclusive, just very possible.

If true it's very unfortunate and I'm sure Wicks feels rotten about it, I guess the league as a whole will learn from the incident.
    Yes, there was contact at the end of the slide. But by that time, Quaynor's shin is more or less parallel with the turf. The contact is with the lower thigh, not where the gash is. And until then, there is no interruption to Wicks's stride. So I don't really see, how Wicks could strike a shin with enough force, to cause a deep, long gash, without faltering. But I can see how someone sliding over the top of a sprinkler, or some other stray sharp object, could do that.