Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Round 10 Vs Pies at Gabba

‘Swans confirmed afterwards that Wicks was wearing "standard issue boots but had a combination of metal and plastic studs”.

Star Pie hamstrung, Buckley queries studs in freak Quaynor injury

Is that illegal? What do most players wear?

And having seen the grisly photo of Quaynor’s leg I think complaints about the stretcher and the slow pace it moved should be shelved. The doctor was trying to hold his leg together and almost certainly asked for the slow pace, probably to stem the bleeding

2020 Round 10 Vs Pies at Gabba

I’ve watched the Quaynor tackle on Wicks several times and I can’t see how Wicks studs could have caused Quaynor’s awful injury.

But as Quaynor brings Wicks down his right leg below the knee - where the huge long gash is - appears to drag along the ground for some distance as a result of Wicks’ forward momentum.

I reckon they need to check the ground in the area that the incident happened. I’m wondering if the injury has been caused by a sprinkler head that has not been fully embedded below the surface.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I’ve watched the Quaynor tackle on Wicks several times and I can’t see how Wicks studs could have caused Quaynor’s awful injury.

But as Quaynor brings Wicks down his right leg below the knee - where the huge long gash is - appears to drag along the ground for some distance as a result of Wicks’ forward momentum.

I reckon they need to check the ground in the area that the incident happened. I’m wondering if the injury has been caused by a sprinkler head that has not been fully embedded below the surface.
    Interesting observation Meg. I couldn't see the contact either. Sprinklergate!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    He’s also out of contract
    He's also broken.

Warming the Bench
    I don't think Melican was as bad as people are saying. His disposal wasn't great but I thought his one on one defensive work was pretty good. Also his first game back in some time, he'll build and improve.

I'm sure every player was wearing long studs last night because the Gabba gets so dewy, unfortunate for Quanor if that was the cause but you can hardly blame Wicks

Sent from my vivo 1902 using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Good observations Meg. I didn't see any boot-leg contact either, given that Quaynor was sliding along *behind* Wicks. Something on the ground a distinct possibility.

Senior Player
    Well, pretty ordinary game I thought. Enjoyed Suns V Saints much more.

But some positives. Rowbottom, again. Thought Wicks was very solid on debut - more of him!. Good to see Thurlow again. Stephens very good, enjoyed his goal as he got crunched. Thought Fox went OK too even with low-ish stats. and Dawson good too.

Opposition teams seem to be on to Papley now, he'll need to deal with that and we need more options. Reid is one and started well but seemed to drop off.

Weird and ugly game, it did seem at one point like we might spring a surprise, but Pies better when it mattered.

I think it's about getting games into the young blokes now and the team will be a little better for it every week, despite the pain!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Well, pretty ordinary game I thought. Enjoyed Suns V Saints much more.

But some positives. Rowbottom, again. Thought Wicks was very solid on debut - more of him!. Good to see Thurlow again. Stephens very good, enjoyed his goal as he got crunched. Thought Fox went OK too even with low-ish stats. and Dawson good too.

Opposition teams seem to be on to Papley now, he'll need to deal with that and we need more options. Reid is one and started well but seemed to drop off.

Weird and ugly game, it did seem at one point like we might spring a surprise, but Pies better when it mattered.

I think it's about getting games into the young blokes now and the team will be a little better for it every week, despite the pain!
    Agree with all of that. Stephens played with an instinct and confidence he not shown before.

It would be great for the development of young lads if they get to play with Buddy for 5 or 6 games later this season.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We generally enjoyed the game at our place, not the prettiest spectacle and sucks to lose (although Stella Jr has adopted a sage like serene approach of "if not finals, brave contests and a high draft pick please") but our general consensus was you saw encouraging signs from most of the young guys- that may be perhaps wanting to see it and then seeing it, but certainly a more fun way to watch this season.

In particular we loved the burst from Stephens (in I think the 3rd quarter?), much satisfied chortling of "oh, so THAT'S what a high draft pick looks like!".
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Stephens played with an instinct and confidence he not shown before.
    Yes. I think the improvement was clear. It shows that we need to be a bit patient and not judge any of our young players on a game or 2. It takes time to get used to playing at AFL level, especially against high pressure sides like the Pies.

This goes for some of our older players who haven't secured spots in the side. Fox is a good example. He showed good signs toward the end of last year when switched to defence and he's continued to improve this year.

Thurlow made a solid comeback. I hope it's the beginning of a new start at the Swans after a disappointing first season.

Oh dear.
    #freekickcollingwood

Hopefully the crows will pull a few wins together so we can get their draft picks.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Yes, I just had a look at the footage. I reckon you're right. Minimal, if any, contact by Wicks on the right shin of Quaynor. Certainly not the dragging that could cause a long, deep gash. However, his shin does drag along the grass.

Of course, now plenty of people are commenting, without appearing to have watched what actually happened.