Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Round 10 Vs Pies at Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    SEN has this about #Studsgate. If its true that the players remonstrated with Wicks before the game that's really not good.

Magpies players questioned Sam Wicks' studs choice prior to Isaac Quaynor injury

COLLINGWOOD players approached Sam Wicks before the game to question him about his boots. It can be revealed that several Pies players noticed Wicks’ choice of steel studs ahead of the opening bounce and told him they were not allowed...

Wicks was wearing the Nike Tiempo Legend 8, which comes with a soft ground version that has a mix of steel and moulded studs.

The Swans said in their statement that: "... These boots are understood to be widely worn by players across the competition." If so, why would Collingwood allegedly single Wicks out? Shame SEN hasn't named one of the players.
    Yes, doesn't name any players or where the alleged story is supposed to be coming from. I think that it can be safely dismissed as untrue, for a number of reasons. Firstly, before the bounce, Wicks would have been warming up with the forward group, around 30 metres away from the nearest Collingwood player. While athletes tend to have good eyesight, I doubt if anyone would be good enough, to pick up what sort of studs he was wearing, from that distance. Secondly, when taking their positions prior to the bounce, even though the players are closer, they are walking. So, probably no one is going to look through the shoe, to see what studs are there. And finally, if a number of players were claiming that the studs were unsafe, before the bounce, then if their team mate got badly split open, then those players would have been extremely pissed off. They would have made an enraged beeline towards Sam, intent on inflicting a bit of retribution; but nothing like that happened.

Unfortunately, due to shoddy reporting, Sam's reputation is being further besmirched.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Sam's reputation is being further besmirched.
    I feel very sorry for Quaynor, horrible injury.

But I also feel very concerned for Wicks. A very young player, on debut, played a good game, kicked a goal - should have been a wonderful memory for life.

And now he has this nastiness hurled at him. I see he has turned off comments on his Instagram account. Gawd I hate the anonymous bullies on social media.

The SEN story stinks to me too.

Meg, I agree about Wicks who had a really fantastic debut and then has to be dragged through this.

Has not one journo bothered to check out any facts on this story, such as:

How many players actually wear this “illegal” setup?
    Does it make a difference?
    Did it cause the injury?
    Did any Collingwood players speak to anyone at the Swans about the studs before the game?

Given that the AFL is already wanting to move the story on and has imposed no sanction on anyone, I think it’s unfortunate that Wicks is being blamed for something he may not have done or at worst not be to blame for.

Suspended by the MRP
    I've been perceived to have given Rowbottom a hard time on here. Don't think I have, I just keep my expectations low where cygnets are concerned.

However it is three weeks in a row now where he has been opposed to midfielders more senior than him and more than held his own. (Mitchell, Jones, Sidebottom.) Hasn't been applying a tag but I can appreciate the challenge for a young midfielder to both monitor your opponent's movements while also trying to find the footy yourself. Seems to have embraced this challenge head-on. Good for him.

I am not sure who is more ready for a senior promotion out of Gould or Maibaum. Maybe Reid or McCartin need to go back. All I know is that with Melican in the team it's like giving our opposition an extra player.

2020 Round 10 Vs Pies at Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The SEN story stinks to me too.

Meg, I agree about Wicks who had a really fantastic debut and then has to be dragged through this.

Has not one journo bothered to check out any facts on this story, such as:

How many players actually wear this “illegal” setup?
    Does it make a difference?
    Did it cause the injury?
    Did any Collingwood players speak to anyone at the Swans about the studs before the game?.
    Agree with you on all that.

Certainly not helped by a photo of Wicks’ raised boot circulating on social media which has clearly been photoshopped to make the studs look like long, thin, extremely sharp, metallic spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I've been perceived to have given Rowbottom a hard time on here. Don't think I have, I just keep my expectations low where cygnets are concerned.

However it is three weeks in a row now where he has been opposed to midfielders more senior than him and more than held his own. (Mitchell, Jones, Sidebottom.) Hasn't been applying a tag but I can appreciate the challenge for a young midfielder to both monitor your opponent's movements while also trying to find the footy yourself. Seems to have embraced this challenge head-on. Good for him.

I am not sure who is more ready for a senior promotion out of Gould or Maibaum. Maybe Reid or McCartin need to go back. All I know is that with Melican in the team it's like giving our opposition an extra player.
    I remember watching Rose play one of (maybe actually) his last games for us. There was a contest and he completely shirked it. At that point I thought he's done, he will be delisted.

I got the same feeling watching Melican play the last few minutes the other night...............

There was no conversations with Collingwood players before the game. Collingwood do not want to pursue the boot issue as they had players on the field with metal studs as well. The AFL investigation revealed players across the comp with Nike and adidas hybrids including the likes of gary Ablett.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    There was no conversations with Collingwood players before the game. Collingwood do not want to pursue the boot issue as they had players on the field with metal studs as well. The AFL investigation revealed players across the comp with Nike and adidas hybrids including the likes of gary Ablett.
    Thank you Mr/Ms Fish. Good to know and reassuring that Wicks and the Swans have not been clearly negligent while all other clubs and players knew better.

Do you know if it has been totally accepted that a metal stud actually was the cause of the injury? We have had some discussion in this thread about other possibilities.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Precisely. Wicks is playing his first game. If he ends up with three Brownlows I suppose there is a possibility a boot sponsor will
    custom make his boots. Until that time he'll just have to wear boots he got down at Rebel like everyone else.

I heard Gerard Whately on SEN last night say the onus on the manufacturer to be supplying boots that meets AFL regulations appears to have been missed in this studsgate saga.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Clarko was right, Papley does milk frees!

Problem now is that umpires will have him stamped as a stager and he'll get less frees that are genuinely there, not happy with this :-(

Plus he missed the goal from that staging!
    Jordan Lewis on SEN last night was trying to validate Clarko's milking comment about Papley, justifying it by Papley's LOL tweet response followed by his staging fine 2 weeks later. This infuratiated me, because Jordan is balantly overlooking the fact Clarko was referencing the Jame Frawley incident where he outrageously suggested Papley milked that free kick when he got bowled over blindsided! This is Papley's first ever staging fine! However it does annoy me Papley did so because it now gives ammunition for the likes of Jordan Lewis to make out he's some sort of exposed serial offender

I was pleased to hear Bob Murphy say yesterday that he saw nothing wrong with Papley's taunting of Tom Mitchell in that Hawthorn game, as it was a direct response from a footy contest they'd both competed in and no way should it be put in the same basket as when a player ruffles an opponents hair or bowls them over when they had no business to do so.
    Last edited by KSAS; 8th August 2020 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Thank you Mr/Ms Fish. Good to know and reassuring that Wicks and the Swans have not been clearly negligent while all other clubs and players knew better.

Do you know if it has been totally accepted that a metal stud actually was the cause of the injury? We have had some discussion in this thread about other possibilities.
    I think the medical view is that some part of the boot impacted, and the pressure on the skin caused a tear, similar to a zipper coming undone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Precisely. Wicks is playing his first game. If he ends up with three Brownlows I suppose there is a possibility a boot sponsor will
    custom make his boots. Until that time he'll just have to wear boots he got down at Rebel like everyone else.
    The players have a podiatrist fir their boots depending on their foot and gate. Then the boots are supplied by the club, and they wear them out of the box.