Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 11: the other games (they're all other games).

Round 11: the other games (they're all other games).

Just thought I'd mark the fact that we're now in round 11. It starts tonight and continues with games until Wednesday night. We have the bye, but none of us will have to wait too long till our next game, as we play the first game of round 12, against the Giants on Thursday night.

Speaking of the Giants, our academy sides are playing a couple of games against them today. As mentioned by M.M. on the academy thread, there's a livestream, that can be accessed from the Swans academy Facebook page. The main game starts at 2.10pm. The much mentioned Campbell and Gulden are playing, as well as guys who showed some talent last year, and may push their draft claims, like Sheather and Rossman. Also playing are some talented over agers, such as Thorne.

There's also something called a futures game, which starts at noon. I'm not sure if this is a reserves match or a lower age group, but it still might be fun to watch.

Senior Player
    The reminder is appreciated. Hard to know what round we are in these days!

I enjoyed this piece from the Guardian on footy-free Melbourne:

Lights out in Melbourne: lack of footy in Australia's capital of sport amplifies city's sullen silence | Australia sport | The Guardian

Last lines made me laugh:

The wind whipped harder. I trudged home, narrowly beat the curfew, tore off my mask, muted Brian Taylor, and sat down to watch my team.
    On last night's showing, if I were forced to choose one of the two, I'd go with roaming Heath Shaw over roaming BT any day.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    The reminder is appreciated. Hard to know what round we are in these days!

I enjoyed this piece from the Guardian on footy-free Melbourne:

Lights out in Melbourne: lack of footy in Australia's capital of sport amplifies city's sullen silence | Australia sport | The Guardian

Last lines made me laugh:

On last night's showing, if I were forced to choose one of the two, I'd go with roaming Heath Shaw over roaming BT any day.
    The first line is pretty good, too:

"Melbourne has no summer,” the novelist George Johnstone once wrote, “only a period of hibernation between football seasons.”

Now that I've read the whole article, it really is an excellent bit of writing.

Hard to believe that the season is almost over for us. Just 7 games left. We should use it to help make delisting decisions, which could become very tricky if list sizes are cut, as we don't have any retirements this year.

Number one for me is to play Amartey and then Knoll if he gets fit and in good enough form. There won't be much time to test that out.

We may only be able to keep one of Maibaum or Melican, so if Melican doesn't improve in a couple of games, we should bring Maibaum in. It's more important than playing Gould at this point.

Thurlow did surprisingly well in his first game back. I had him as definite delisting, but now I want to see more of what he can produce.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Hard to believe that the season is almost over for us. Just 7 games left. We should use it to help make delisting decisions, which could become very tricky if list sizes are cut, as we don't have any retirements this year.

Number one for me is to play Amartey and then Knoll if he gets fit and in good enough form. There won't be much time to test that out.

We may only be able to keep one of Maibaum or Melican, so if Melican doesn't improve in a couple of games, we should bring Maibaum in. It's more important than playing Gould at this point.

Thurlow did surprisingly well in his first game back. I had him as definite delisting, but now I want to see more of what he can produce.
    Agree with all of that.

Veterans List
    Port caning Tigers at the moment. 27-1, 16 minutes in.

- - - Updated - - -

Positive affirmation seems to have kicked in though....Port leading the free kick count 6-0. Yikes!

That was great work from Chol there that led to the Pecker Checkers second goal. We should go after him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a good game , the crowd noise ( perhaps enhanced by mic’s) is crazy for a 10k crowd! Port fans are feral, in the best way. It’s fantastic!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    It’s a good game , the crowd noise ( perhaps enhanced by mic’s) is crazy for a 10k crowd! Port fans are feral, in the best way. It’s fantastic!
    Except when affects the free kick count. Port up 10-4 now. Positive affirmation is real....

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Except when affects the free kick count. Port up 10-4 now. Positive affirmation is real....
    I think Port have had the rough end of the stick to be honest, in this quarter in particular. Count alone doesn’t paint the whole picture

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I think Port have had the rough end of the stick to be honest, in this quarter in particular. Count alone doesn’t paint the whole picture
    Fair enough....I'm not watching, just checking the stats.👍

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast