Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 12 v Giants

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Changes for Round 12 v Giants

Although we have the R11 bye, the next game is actually only 3 days away!

Blakey received a favourable mention in the scratch match article from Laidler, I assume he'll be back. The 3 other emergencies from the Pies game were Warner, Lewis Taylor, and Clarke. Other options should include McInerney and Gray. O'Riordan and Knoll were listed as a Test in last week's injury list but I doubt either will be selected for this game.

We really need to test Amartey and Knoll as ruck alternatives. Amartey seems fit now, so let's play him a few weeks, then give Knoll a shot in the final few games.

I'd give Melican a few weeks to settle in, then give Maibaum a shot.

We need to use these weeks to settle some delisting issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Although we have the R11 bye, the next game is actually only 3 days away!

Blakey received a favourable mention in the scratch match article from Laidler, I assume he'll be back. The 3 other emergencies from the Pies game were Warner, Lewis Taylor, and Clarke. Other options should include McInerney and Gray. O'Riordan and Knoll were listed as a Test in last week's injury list but I doubt either will be selected for this game.
    I think Blakey needs, at least 3 good hit outs to be allowed back. The forward line functioned just as well without him and Wicks was OK. Better than Blakey.

Knoll would be an asset if he is ready. I don't believe L Taylor, Grey or Clarke to be great assets. Clarke has his moments. The other two have been poor.

Melican had his moments but the reality is this, he was drafted as the third tall back not a 1 or 2 key back. His role was to play on the Gunton style player. But unfortunately due to problems with tallbacks he has had to play on the monsters. Rampe is in a similar position and it is not getting any easier with the new rule interpretation. I would like to see Maibaum or Brand step up. That would be good.

Getting some form of team balance every week is very difficult if you keep changing the team. For a change we have no injuries. It would be nice to make as few changes as possible. I'd like to eventually see Will Gould debut but maybe after this match. I think we have Buckley's and none of winning so maybe the coaches will throw in the the changes. Who knows? But I think this team, as undermanned as it is, is still under-performing.

Our ball use early in last week's match was a disgrace. If you constantly give the opposition the ball they are going to score. In the first quarter I thought we were going to get blown away. But luckily they kicked erratically. It was not a good match to watch. Basically kick to kick for the most part. They are not that good. Take a few stars out and they struggle. The Pies will be lucky to make the eight. Teams that have difficulty scoring do not do well in finals.

Some of our more experienced players were poor last week. Papley, Parker, Aliir, Reid and Mills were all missing for a good part of the match. If these blokes do not stand up and be counted then the younger blokes have no hope. These experienced players should be setting the example Not going missing. Papley has an excuse he was triple tagged. But for the others there are no excuses. They need to step up or get out.

Without good experienced players giving them support last week many if our young guys struggled. There were exceptions. James Rowbottom continues to not just improve but to actually dominate clearances. Stephens tried hard often against the odds. Hayward in a similar position. Too many experienced players did not put in enough effort to help the kids. At one stage I saw Reid's opponent run off down the ground all on his lonesome. Reid was between half forward and full forward. He did not follow. Even if he could not catch his opponent he could have evened up the numbers by tagging another player. His player got the ball twice before giving a kick to a leading player for a goal. This was really lazy footy by Reid. I know he is probably not back to full match fitness yet but even putting in an effort would have been good. He wasn't the only one. Luke Parker's game was lamentable. Very few possessions and he gave up at least half of those he got. Handball ING straight to opponents on three occasions, kicking directly to opponents on another three occasions.

It would be great to see some leader ship thus week. This is sadly lacking and this young team needs it. Uf the experienced players don't lead by example then eventually the young wolves will find a pack leader of their own to follow. Rowie is shaping up as a very good example

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We really need to test Amartey and Knoll as ruck alternatives. Amartey seems fit now, so let's play him a few weeks, then give Knoll a shot in the final few games.

I'd give Melican a few weeks to settle in, then give Maibaum a shot.

We need to use these weeks to settle some delisting issues.
    I agree re Amartey and Knoll and playing Amartey is a good option. Somehow though I really feel Longmire has lost this group. Poor performances by experienced players who are normally very good is telling a story.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I think Blakey needs, at least 3 good hit outs to be allowed back. The forward line functioned just as well without him and Wicks was OK. Better than Blakey.

Knoll would be an asset if he is ready. I don't believe L Taylor, Grey or Clarke to be great assets. Clarke has his moments. The other two have been poor.

Melican had his moments but the reality is this, he was drafted as the third tall back not a 1 or 2 key back. His role was to play on the Gunton style player. But unfortunately due to problems with tallbacks he has had to play on the monsters. Rampe is in a similar position and it is not getting any easier with the new rule interpretation. I would like to see Maibaum or Brand step up. That would be good.

Getting some form of team balance every week is very difficult if you keep changing the team. For a change we have no injuries. It would be nice to make as few changes as possible. I'd like to eventually see Will Gould debut but maybe after this match. I think we have Buckley's and none of winning so maybe the coaches will throw in the the changes. Who knows? But I think this team, as undermanned as it is, is still under-performing.

Our ball use early in last week's match was a disgrace. If you constantly give the opposition the ball they are going to score. In the first quarter I thought we were going to get blown away. But luckily they kicked erratically. It was not a good match to watch. Basically kick to kick for the most part. They are not that good. Take a few stars out and they struggle. The Pies will be lucky to make the eight. Teams that have difficulty scoring do not do well in finals.

Some of our more experienced players were poor last week. Papley, Parker, Aliir, Reid and Mills were all missing for a good part of the match. If these blokes do not stand up and be counted then the younger blokes have no hope. These experienced players should be setting the example Not going missing. Papley has an excuse he was triple tagged. But for the others there are no excuses. They need to step up or get out.

Without good experienced players giving them support last week many if our young guys struggled. There were exceptions. James Rowbottom continues to not just improve but to actually dominate clearances. Stephens tried hard often against the odds. Hayward in a similar position. Too many experienced players did not put in enough effort to help the kids. At one stage I saw Reid's opponent run off down the ground all on his lonesome. Reid was between half forward and full forward. He did not follow. Even if he could not catch his opponent he could have evened up the numbers by tagging another player. His player got the ball twice before giving a kick to a leading player for a goal. This was really lazy footy by Reid. I know he is probably not back to full match fitness yet but even putting in an effort would have been good. He wasn't the only one. Luke Parker's game was lamentable. Very few possessions and he gave up at least half of those he got. Handball ING straight to opponents on three occasions, kicking directly to opponents on another three occasions.

It would be great to see some leader ship thus week. This is sadly lacking and this young team needs it. Uf the experienced players don't lead by example then eventually the young wolves will find a pack leader of their own to follow. Rowie is shaping up as a very good example

This is a tad over-reactive isn't it? So Parker and Mills have one quiet game and now they aren't good enough as leaders?

They will both be top five in the B&F, along with Papley, so I think you may regret questioning their leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    This is a tad over-reactive isn't it? So Parker and Mills have one quiet game and now they aren't good enough as leaders?

They will both be top five in the B&F, along with Papley, so I think you may regret questioning their leadership.
    They need to be ultra consistent. They have each had several really bad matches this year. I think Luke is a wonderful leader for the most part. But his consistency has suffered this year as more and more young players are present. His decision making, once a really good part of his game, has suffered. He is pivotal to keeping the young blokes in the mids grounded with Joey out.

Mills move to the mids has been difficult because the coaching staff did not put him with the mids group preseason. I realise this is hard for him but he is another player with big talent that needs to show consistent form and help the young blokes. Maturity is needed from him. I did not say they were not good enough as leaders I said they needed to be consistently good to display that leadership. We need them consistently leading by example and games of 12 disposals is not doing that.

Great leaders are consistently leading by example. Hodge, Matthews, Kirk, Kelly, Bartel, Jesulenko, Harley, Kennedy, Swift, Dean & Hart, Bagshaw (Sturt 6 premierships), Carey (Glenelg 3 premierships). These are all players who were consistently good during their whole career. They rarely played a bad game and if they were not playing to their standard they directed play, did the hard things like laying hard tackles and grunt work and still had a presence.

We need to develop that attitude that wins multiple premierships. Hardness. We only have one person on our coaching staff that has won more than one premiership, Blakey. We need to get a coach on staff that knows what hardness in a football club is. If we are to have a successful era, more than premiership, then we need to change the attitude of the club. I believe that Leigh Matthews is still the best coach to ever coach the game. He is also very aware of how the game is played today. Even if we brought him onboard as a Coaches Adviser this would be good as he is a winner. If you want success you have to do everything you can to make sure you get success. You cannot hold stupid grudges and say no way to certain people. I would gladly welcome Luke Hodge as an assistant coach or technical advisor. He has incredible knowledge and has the ability to impart that knowledge.

Don't misread what I have said. My point was about consistency. Last year Luke had several games early that were disappointing. Same Milsie. We need to develop consistency into our group as that is what wins premiership, not champion players. A champion team sometimes may not have a particular standout player, Richmond are a good example, but as a group they are incredibly consistent. Hawks had Buddy but they won 2 more without him. Without a super star. Why? Consistency and hardness.

Suspended by the MRP
    They need to be ultra consistent. They have each had several really bad matches this year. I think Luke is a wonderful leader for the most part. But his consistency has suffered this year as more and more young players are present. His decision making, once a really good part of his game, has suffered. He is pivotal to keeping the young blokes in the mids grounded with Joey out.

Mills move to the mids has been difficult because the coaching staff did not put him with the mids group preseason. I realise this is hard for him but he is another player with big talent that needs to show consistent form and help the young blokes. Maturity is needed from him. I did not say they were not good enough as leaders I said they needed to be consistently good to display that leadership. We need them consistently leading by example and games of 12 disposals is not doing that.

Great leaders are consistently leading by example. Hodge, Matthews, Kirk, Kelly, Bartel, Jesulenko, Harley, Kennedy, Swift, Dean & Hart, Bagshaw (Sturt 6 premierships), Carey (Glenelg 3 premierships). These are all players who were consistently good during their whole career. They rarely played a bad game and if they were not playing to their standard they directed play, did the hard things like laying hard tackles and grunt work and still had a presence.

We need to develop that attitude that wins multiple premierships. Hardness. We only have one person on our coaching staff that has won more than one premiership, Blakey. We need to get a coach on staff that knows what hardness in a football club is. If we are to have a successful era, more than premiership, then we need to change the attitude of the club. I believe that Leigh Matthews is still the best coach to ever coach the game. He is also very aware of how the game is played today. Even if we brought him onboard as a Coaches Adviser this would be good as he is a winner. If you want success you have to do everything you can to make sure you get success. You cannot hold stupid grudges and say no way to certain people. I would gladly welcome Luke Hodge as an assistant coach or technical advisor. He has incredible knowledge and has the ability to impart that knowledge.

Don't misread what I have said. My point was about consistency. Last year Luke had several games early that were disappointing. Same Milsie. We need to develop consistency into our group as that is what wins premiership, not champion players. A champion team sometimes may not have a particular standout player, Richmond are a good example, but as a group they are incredibly consistent. Hawks had Buddy but they won 2 more without him. Without a super star. Why? Consistency and hardness.

While I certainly agree that consistency is key, I think you are under-selling Parker's consistency. He has some that are quieter than others, but they're not BAD games. The Collingwood match last weekend was the first in many years where I thought he was well below what should be expected of him. You recognise that Parker is finding it difficult with all the young blood being injected around him, but then compare him to Hodge, Matthews, Kirk, Kelly, Bartel, Jesaulenko, Harley, Kennedy etc. who were ultra-reliable in champion teams, and who never had to lead by example in a side as young as ours, so I still think you should be cutting Parks some slack.

Mills has been up and down, but it's his first year as a leader of the club. He is only just finding his feet as to what it means to be a leader. He's had some exceptional matches this year, in the wet at the Gabba against the Tigers, against West Coast at Metricon. He's putting together the types of performances that he will need to as a leader. Doing it consistently will no doubt be the next stage of learning leadership.

To judge them so harshly when they are carrying so much youth who themselves can't perform consistently and need guidance, is a little tough.

I agree re Amartey and Knoll and playing Amartey is a good option. Somehow though I really feel Longmire has lost this group. Poor performances by experienced players who are normally very good is telling a story.

I watched the collingwood v swans scratch match. It looked like unfortunately armatey got injured. He was limping pretty badly towards the end with his thigh heavily strapped. Knoll was very quiet. Of the talls maclean again offered a strong contested marking presence deep forward. Blakey was shakey. Patches of brilliance, with periods of absence, then patches of low confidence fumbly stuff. He will probably come back in, but if they could he looks like he would benefit from some more confidence boosting. Best was mcinerney. Clarke was good and gots lots of ball. Warner and foote were solid without really taking the game by the scruff. of the backs oriedon was solid, maubaum didn't play. Gould was solid.

Veterans List
    As our best midfielder, Parker gets tagged, that's why he occasionally has a quieter game. Still had 12 tackles against the Pies, that's intensity!

Senior Player
    Sometimes I think people forget one very important factor. There is another team on the field when we are playing.
    They have their own plans and if they come off our guys are not going to look good. Sure, it would be great if the experienced
    players in the team played at a consistently high standard week in, week out. But on Thursday night, if the GWS midfield is on,
    Parker may not touch the ball very often. And if Cameron, Finlayson & Himmelberg are up and about, and the delivery to them
    is decent it's going to be a tough night for anyone in the backline. I never doubt the effort Parker, Mills, Rampe, Lloyd etc put
    in, but sometimes they are going to be outmatched by other really good players who are having a good night.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Sometimes I think people forget one very important factor. There is another team on the field when we are playing.
    They have their own plans and if they come off our guys are not going to look good. Sure, it would be great if the experienced
    players in the team played at a consistently high standard week in, week out. But on Thursday night, if the GWS midfield is on,
    Parker may not touch the ball very often. And if Cameron, Finlayson & Himmelberg are up and about, and the delivery to them
    is decent it's going to be a tough night for anyone in the backline. I never doubt the effort Parker, Mills, Rampe, Lloyd etc put
    in, but sometimes they are going to be outmatched by other really good players who are having a good night.
    +1.

There's no secret recipe for success. You need 22 players contributing to win. The team with closest to 22 even contributors wins almost every time, unless a freak show performance by an individual star gets a team over the line, as Buddy and Dusty have done on several occasions over their careers. A glance at the ladder with Port Adelaide, Brisbane, St Kilda and West Coast in the top four makes a lot of sense when you consider the depth of their teams. Very few injuries, minimal changes every week. It all amounts to a cohesive team where the seniors lead by example, the youth follow that example, and the fringe players who come in don't have as much pressure on them.

Translate that to our squad this year, we have the seniors leading by example - Parker, Rampe, Papley, Lloyd, Mills. I believe it stops there. We are missing that second step, the youth following their lead. Not enough young inexperienced Swans have taken that next step, or shown any improvement. Some have even regressed. So when the fringe players come in, there's a lot more pressure on them, and that's why they have failed to deliver.

*I should note that Fox is an exception to this, as a fringe player who has come in and thrived.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    +1.

There's no secret recipe for success. You need 22 players contributing to win. The team with closest to 22 even contributors wins almost every time, unless a freak show performance by an individual star gets a team over the line, as Buddy and Dusty have done on several occasions over their careers. A glance at the ladder with Port Adelaide, Brisbane, St Kilda and West Coast in the top four makes a lot of sense when you consider the depth of their teams. Very few injuries, minimal changes every week. It all amounts to a cohesive team where the seniors lead by example, the youth follow that example, and the fringe players who come in don't have as much pressure on them.

Translate that to our squad this year, we have the seniors leading by example - Parker, Rampe, Papley, Lloyd, Mills. I believe it stops there. We are missing that second step, the youth following their lead. Not enough young inexperienced Swans have taken that next step, or shown any improvement. Some have even regressed. So when the fringe players come in, there's a lot more pressure on them, and that's why they have failed to deliver.

*I should note that Fox is an exception to this, as a fringe player who has come in and thrived.
    I don't entirely agree. I think Rowie has gone to a new level. I thjnn the senior players have been inconsistent. If they are not good enough to beat their opponents then they are not good enough to play in a, or in the case of Luke, another premiership. They must consistently win their positions to be a member of a team heading for glory.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast