Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Round 12: Swans v Giants in Perth

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I don't recall who kicked it to Foot before he handed it off to Dawson, but it wasn't Rowbottom.

However Rowbottom did deliver it beautifully to Dawson for his second goal.
    Sorry, you're correct - that's the one I was thinking of. The whole play was fantastic, from his clearance in the backline contest, his run, his fend on Haynes, and the kick to Dawson.

(Ironically, it was Dawson who kicked it to Foot, then nicked it back off him.)
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Rowbottom reminds me a bit of Daryn Creswell.

Hard as a cat's head, fierce at the contest, smart running patterns, terrific hands, works both ways, a relentless tackler, an ability to drift forward, underrated kicking (that one to Foot before he handed the goal off to Dawson was a beauty), and reads the play well.

Creswell has him covered for forward craft, for now at least, and while Rowbottom isn't truly quick, he's got a bit more toe and certainly bursts into and out of contests.
    And not just the number on his back

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Massive downgrade from Mills to any of the 3 novices you mention. Mills, who didn't play a minute of midfield last night, should rightly stay back, where he is elite. Not as simple as some might think to be a great defender.

I'll have to watch the replay, but I think Mills was tagging Coniglio. Hew did drop behind the play a lot and played as a sweeper when we went forward. In any case, it has nothing to do with a downgrade, but rather making room for emerging players. There's no point in drafting players if they never get an opportunity to get into the side. Aliir, Melican, Rampe, Lloyd, Fox and COR make a solid back six that doesn't need Mills, who can bring his talents to the midfield. If there's anything missing in the back 6 it's a running halfback type like Malceski, Shaw or Jetta. Ling, Stoddart and McInerney are a better fit for that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Syd76 View Post
    Stoddart? You have got to be joking.. he had his opportunity to impress. I hope the kid makes it, but I am rather doubtful. Ling on the other hand is another story....
    Yes. I'm quite serious about Stoddart. He's a solid performer with pace and a penetrating kick, and not afraid of the physical stuff. He was a very good NEAFL performer, showing traits that usually transfer well to the AFL. If he's given a run of 6 or 7 games, I'm sure he'll fit in fine. As mentioned earlier, he's got a back problem atm, which is unfortunate, as he was in the side and looking okay. 16 possession in his last game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'll have to watch the replay, but I think Mills was tagging Coniglio. Hew did drop behind the play a lot and played as a sweeper when we went forward. In any case, it has nothing to do with a downgrade, but rather making room for emerging players. There's no point in drafting players if they never get an opportunity to get into the side. Aliir, Melican, Rampe, Lloyd, Fox and COR make a solid back six that doesn't need Mills, who can bring his talents to the midfield. If there's anything missing in the back 6 it's a running halfback type like Malceski, Shaw or Jetta. Ling, Stoddart and McInerney are a better fit for that role.

Yes. I'm quite serious about Stoddart. He's a solid performer with pace and a penetrating kick, and not afraid of the physical stuff. He was a very good NEAFL performer, showing traits that usually transfer well to the AFL. If he's given a run of 6 or 7 games, I'm sure he'll fit in fine. As mentioned earlier, he's got a back problem atm, which is unfortunate, as he was in the side and looking okay. 16 possession in his last game.
    Taking Mills out of the back 6 a big mistake IMO. Agree a Malceski or Shaw type would be good. Hopeful of McInerney. Lloyd seems cemented in this role but people seem to forget that he was a good outside midfielder- somethings he could be again I reckon.

Senior Player
    Decent interview with Jake Lloyd from Dwyane Russell here: “Paps is staying”: Sydney’s message regarding Carlton target

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches votes

10 - Parker
    4 - Rampe
    4 - Rowbottom
    3 - Kelly
    3 - Dawson
    2 - Melican
    2 - Blakey
    1 - Lloyd
    1 - Sinclair

So besides Parker the coaches couldn't agree on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches votes

10 - Parker
    4 - Rampe
    4 - Rowbottom
    3 - Kelly
    3 - Dawson
    2 - Melican
    2 - Blakey
    1 - Lloyd
    1 - Sinclair

They agreed our players were better

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Decent interview with Jake Lloyd from Dwyane Russell here: “Paps is staying”: Sydney’s message regarding Carlton target
    Misleading headline though:

“He’s fully invested in the footy club and he’s leading by example out there so hopefully he stays in Sydney.”

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches votes

10 - Parker
    4 - Rampe
    4 - Rowbottom
    3 - Kelly
    3 - Dawson
    2 - Melican
    2 - Blakey
    1 - Lloyd
    1 - Sinclair

Surprised John didn't give either Dane or James votes. Reckon John gave Dane the 4 given how effusive he was re Dane's performance in the post match presser.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Taking Mills out of the back 6 a big mistake IMO.
    From what I could tell after reviewing the 1st half, Mills played at most of the stoppages, but was the first midfielder to drop back in defence, so played sort of a +1 in defence, which is not a bad role for him. But was more of a helper covering GWS midfielders going forward than a main cog in the defence. If Aliir returns without dropping any defenders, I think we will see Mills more in a pure midfield role.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Nice that we got to play in Leon Cameron's farewell game
    You'd think so wouldn't you. There 3 lowest ever scores in their history have happened in the last 9 months. Even when they only had kids, they still scored more.

On the swans, when you go into a derby as underdogs, you know the team will be at its peak mentally. The only question then is skill and strength.
    Tick, tick. The future looks good.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Wowsers what a game ! 4 quarter effort, real hunger, used the space of the bigger ground. Simply awesome footy to watch.

The usual suspects were huge .. Parker, Rampe, Mills led by example all night. Rowbottom just doesn't play a bad game does he ?

New faces looked great - Foot , Bell, Stephens tackling pressure enormous.

Welcome return to form for Sinkers, COR, Blakey, Dawson. Concerning for Florent, Reid and Papley who are struggling with form in recent weeks.

The umpiring however was a disgrace .
    The frees were 16/16 and we won by 41 points. I didn't think the umpires were too bad. Could be argued that the free Thurlow got in the last quarter gifted us a goal.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by cherub View Post
    And it's not adjudicated consistently. Some umpires give plenty of warning and mark the mark, or yell 1metre or 2 metres to tell the marker to move back, and then there's the one Elijah Taylor was hit with, no warning , when he thought he was in the right place.
    I have seen that happen time and time again since the ET one, and not once has it been paid.