Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Round 12: Swans v Giants in Perth

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I owe an apology to one James Rowbottom. I do not regret stating we don't know whether he will be elite or not. But I do regret stating that he won't be with such certainty. His numbers to this point in the season are quite impressive.

He ranks in the top five of his age bracket in the following categories: 1st for contested possessions, 1st for tackles, 1st for clearances, 1st for centre clearances, 1st for stoppage clearances, 1st for ground ball gets, 1st for pressure acts, 1st for defensive half pressure acts, 2nd for player rating points, 3rd for total disposals, 3rd for inside 50s, 3rd for rebound 50s, 3rd for metres gained, 3rd for goal assists, 5th for effective disposals, 5th for intercept possessions, 5th for score launches.

In almost every category he was in company with the likes of Bailey Smith, Sam Walsh, Jack Lukosius, Connor Rozee and Zak Butters, all first round selections in the so-called "super draft."

I never doubted that he was the complete midfielder, but maybe I have been so focused on wanting to see the complete game from him that I was ignorant to a lot of the good things that he was doing. He looked our best midfielder against the Magpies a week ago, and the derby yesterday, early on he looked the silkiest player on the ground, which is remarkable when you consider some of the talent that was around him on the field .. Luke Parker, Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio, Tim Taranto. His impact waned as the game wore on, but by then he'd shown enough to officially convince me.

So, consider me convinced.
    Well said.

Veterans List
    And JL moved him to the back line at end of quarters as he has done in previous seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches votes

10 - Parker
    4 - Rampe
    4 - Rowbottom
    3 - Kelly
    3 - Dawson
    2 - Melican
    2 - Blakey
    1 - Lloyd
    1 - Sinclair

So besides Parker the coaches couldn't agree on anything.
    Fascinating how this happens. I think we gave our votes to Rampe and, I'll guess, Sinclair and Blakey. I can't decide between Dawson and Kelly having gotten our votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Condolences to you, Melbourne Blood, your Dad and his mate's family. Always sad to hear of one of my fellow South Melbourne Swans passing.
    Glad that our boys sent your Dad's mate off in the sensational style he deserved!
    Thank you Sandridge. Very sad when the South Melbourne contingent loses a diehard fan. He did leave behind quite a few kids who keep the passion alive though, and that’s the beautiful thing about the supporter base down here. It still grows and it still lives on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I owe an apology to one James Rowbottom. I do not regret stating we don't know whether he will be elite or not. But I do regret stating that he won't be with such certainty. His numbers to this point in the season are quite impressive.

He ranks in the top five of his age bracket in the following categories: 1st for contested possessions, 1st for tackles, 1st for clearances, 1st for centre clearances, 1st for stoppage clearances, 1st for ground ball gets, 1st for pressure acts, 1st for defensive half pressure acts, 2nd for player rating points, 3rd for total disposals, 3rd for inside 50s, 3rd for rebound 50s, 3rd for metres gained, 3rd for goal assists, 5th for effective disposals, 5th for intercept possessions, 5th for score launches.

In almost every category he was in company with the likes of Bailey Smith, Sam Walsh, Jack Lukosius, Connor Rozee and Zak Butters, all first round selections in the so-called "super draft."

I never doubted that he was the complete midfielder, but maybe I have been so focused on wanting to see the complete game from him that I was ignorant to a lot of the good things that he was doing. He looked our best midfielder against the Magpies a week ago, and the derby yesterday, early on he looked the silkiest player on the ground, which is remarkable when you consider some of the talent that was around him on the field .. Luke Parker, Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio, Tim Taranto. His impact waned as the game wore on, but by then he'd shown enough to officially convince me.

So, consider me convinced.
    all is forgiven TB - you've seen the light!

His stats are great for a player in his age bracket - its really a matter for me that he needs to build a bit of a tank before he will consistently start to play really strong 4 quarter performances. But that is my only knock at this stage on him - he looks a ready made quality player and is only going to get better. At the moment, we are getting 2, 2 1/2 really good quarters at a time, and his influence does drop off at times. But he is already showing his adeptness as an inside midfielder, and not too shabby with ball in hand at times too. So much potential to work with - cant wait to see how good he can be come 60 or 70 games in, let alone beyond that.

That is what is so exciting about last night. Yes our experienced heads did plenty of heavy lifting, but there was some serious heavy lifting from some seriously inexperienced kids to go with it. Get some experience in to them, as a group growing together and watch them fly. While few of us are likely to look back on much of 2020 with too much joy, we may well look back and say how the covid period and the long time away from home was a really important point for our Cygnets.

I hope we can back it up with another good performance next week against Freo - should be an entertaining match hopefully.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Rowbottom reminds me a bit of Daryn Creswell.

Hard as a cat's head, fierce at the contest, smart running patterns, terrific hands, works both ways, a relentless tackler, an ability to drift forward, underrated kicking (that one to Foot before he handed the goal off to Dawson was a beauty), and reads the play well.

Creswell has him covered for forward craft, for now at least, and while Rowbottom isn't truly quick, he's got a bit more toe and certainly bursts into and out of contests.
    Someone else said it earlier in the week and I watched closely and its spot on. He isn't quick - but he accelerates to get into a contest - i.e. hits it hard and with pace. The best midfielders can all do it - because they've got the silky smooth skills to go with it - combine it with a pretty sharp footy brain and there is a lot work with.

He does certainly make me think of Cresswell in a lot of ways with how he plays. Lets hope he proves as good or even better for our footy club.

I really get the feeling the next nucleus of our midfield group is starting to come together nicely. The challenge is finding the ruckman to fit into the puzzle for mine.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Fascinating how this happens. I think we gave our votes to Rampe and, I'll guess, Sinclair and Blakey. I can't decide between Dawson and Kelly having gotten our votes.
    My guess is Longmire gave votes to Kelly. John is such a decent fair man, I suspect he always looks to give something to the opposing team.

I’m just glad the Sir James debate is finally settled.

Let’s move on to discussing Blakey and others

‘Oliver Florent, Sydney Swans, has been charged with a first offence of Careless Contact with an Umpire during the second quarter of the Round 12 match between the Sydney Swans and the GWS GIANTS, played at Optus Stadium on Thursday August 13.

In summary, he can accept a $500 sanction with an early plea.’

Match Review: Swan fined for umpire contact

I know this is routine after umpire contact - but I reckon the ump should have been fined for getting in Ollie’s way!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    all is forgiven TB - you've seen the light!

His stats are great for a player in his age bracket - its really a matter for me that he needs to build a bit of a tank before he will consistently start to play really strong 4 quarter performances. But that is my only knock at this stage on him - he looks a ready made quality player and is only going to get better. At the moment, we are getting 2, 2 1/2 really good quarters at a time, and his influence does drop off at times. But he is already showing his adeptness as an inside midfielder, and not too shabby with ball in hand at times too. So much potential to work with - cant wait to see how good he can be come 60 or 70 games in, let alone beyond that.

That is what is so exciting about last night. Yes our experienced heads did plenty of heavy lifting, but there was some serious heavy lifting from some seriously inexperienced kids to go with it. Get some experience in to them, as a group growing together and watch them fly. While few of us are likely to look back on much of 2020 with too much joy, we may well look back and say how the covid period and the long time away from home was a really important point for our Cygnets.

I hope we can back it up with another good performance next week against Freo - should be an entertaining match hopefully.
    Indeed. Have said most weeks it's the usual suspects - Parker (leader), Rampe (leader), Lloyd (mid career), Mills and Papley (young leaders) and Rowbottom (youth). It's a good mix of young and old, but not a big mix. They need help. Hopefully others will continue to come to the party, as they did against the Giants.

In reflection, the team that played this week felt really balanced from the first bounce. Right mix of pace and inside grunt. Good foot skills across every line. Two way running that pressured GWS when they were in possession. Spread and run when we had the pill. Moved the ball quickly and forward through the corridor not the boundary. Horse must have been stoked. GWS looked more like the swans at times in the past, that is, slow, hesitant unbalanced.

I enjoyed this game more than any game for a long time. The St Kilda game end of last season was fun but was more like a pointless carnival. This one felt like powerful and purposeful, saying something about our future.

No doubt there will be some floggings ahead but you can see the seeds of something great there.

In terms of players, Wicks had a so so game but selflessness through positioing, hard running, pressure and tackling shows the way for others. Foot the same. He's a keeper. He also has an infectious grin that turns to a look of pure resolve in an instant. Like that.

Please let's keep Paps. He's a true leader. Yes he's selfish but all true forwards are. He's also passionately competitive and a great team man. Authentic and brave.

Olley needs to take the first option. He keeps holding on to the ball hoping for options to appear not realising that they generally close down. I think it my reveal a lack of game sense. He needs to be more instinctive.

Sam Reed is important. He chops put adequately in the ruck and presents threateningly. He dropped a few gettable marks by we look more structured with him in. Bit the same with McCartin. Having them both splits and opens our forward line, particularly when the lead in different directions or draw their opponent up the ground.

Not having AA in the team made me realise his tendency to stop and prop slows our exits from defence. Melican was aggressive and single minded and he moved the ball quickly, relentlessly. He's got weaknesses to his game but backs take longer. He's got a lot to offer.

Dawson on the half forward line reminds me of Gary Buckenara. Strong mark, long kick. He is good at being the icing on the cake. I also have compete confidence in his kicking from HBF. He really kicks it with precision and weight as well as power.

Finally, Rowbottom. He is a strong kid and hence fendoff is Martinesque. I went back and watched his draft highlights. It's all on display. We got a huge bargain. His ball drop is really distinctive and reminds me of Craig Turley. It's very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    ‘Oliver Florent, Sydney Swans, has been charged with a first offence of Careless Contact with an Umpire during the second quarter of the Round 12 match between the Sydney Swans and the GWS GIANTS, played at Optus Stadium on Thursday August 13.

I know this is routine after umpire contact - but I reckon the ump should have been fined for getting in Ollie’s way!
    Under new rule interpretations, the umpire can block a player if it's not in a marking contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Not having AA in the team made me realise his tendency to stop and prop slows our exits from defence. Melican was aggressive and single minded and he moved the ball quickly, relentlessly. He's got weaknesses to his game but backs take longer. He's got a lot to offer.
    Melican was back to playing his 'natural' game, when he's played at his best. There must have been a lot of good coaching involved to get him in such good form. I think it's mostly mental with him.

I have to disagree about Aliir. He once had a tendency to play-on at every opportunity, and got caught a lot of times. His current play, which is more balanced and considered, is again, a product of our coaching. He's quite a good decision maker now and an efficient kick of the football. He just needs to stay switched on, all the time, every game. I suggest the coaches should check the volume of those humongous headphones he wears warming up for the game.

I think Melican, or any good fullback, makes Aliir a better player.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 15th August 2020 at 01:20 PM.