Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 12: Swans v Giants in Perth

Suspended by the MRP
    Wowsers what a game ! 4 quarter effort, real hunger, used the space of the bigger ground. Simply awesome footy to watch.

The usual suspects were huge .. Parker, Rampe, Mills led by example all night. Rowbottom just doesn't play a bad game does he ?

New faces looked great - Foot , Bell, Stephens tackling pressure enormous.

Welcome return to form for Sinkers, COR, Blakey, Dawson. Concerning for Florent, Reid and Papley who are struggling with form in recent weeks.

The umpiring however was a disgrace .

Warming the Bench
    Robbie Fox for the most improved player at the Swans this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Syd76 View Post
    Robbie Fox for the most improved player at the Swans this year.
    Or possibly Sir James?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Or possibly Sir James?
    It would be a tough choice. I'd give it to Fox, given his baseline was alot lower than Rowbum. He's gone from being a spare parts player, likely delist to an integral part of the backline.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, a few things about Cameron's performance stick in my mind. Firstly, his only goal was from a non-existent free against Rampe. Secondly, the Mills headlock showed his tendency to turn to dirt, when he's getting thoroughly beaten. And adding an exclamation mark to how badly he was getting beaten by the great Dane, was Rampe throwing out his injured right hand, to casually pluck a one handed mark.

And on the extended headlock: that's a perfect example, of how the various interpretations of the 50 metres rules drive me crazy. On the one hand, players are penalized for fleetingly encroaching in the protected zone, for ostensibly slowing down play; even though the ball carrier often has no idea that they're there. On the other hand, when a player is penalized for high contact and then chooses to continue that headlock for another five seconds or so, that is inevitably considered not to be worthy of a 50. Even though it obviously slows down play, far more than the fleeting encroachment.
    Should have been a 50.Pathetic inaction by the umpire.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

A big cheer to the WA Swans supporters last night. I was surprised by the amount of red and white in the crowd and the cheers for our team, particularly in the last qtr.

The only change I’d like is to see Lloyd stop going 5 miles backwards after a mark or a free kick ... I know it’s necessary sometimes when heaps of players are behind the ball... but it’s a momentum killer otherwise.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    And on the extended headlock: that's a perfect example, of how the various interpretations of the 50 metres rules drive me crazy. On the one hand, players are penalized for fleetingly encroaching in the protected zone, for ostensibly slowing down play; even though the ball carrier often has no idea that they're there. On the other hand, when a player is penalized for high contact and then chooses to continue that headlock for another five seconds or so, that is inevitably considered not to be worthy of a 50. Even though it obviously slows down play, far more than the fleeting encroachment.
    Nicely put......the 'encroachment' rule is the stupidest, most harshly penalised infraction in footy. It's a shame our leagues leaders are too stupid to see that. Any rule that goes against the spirit of the game and the spirit of fairness should be scrapped.....and this one is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Blakey has to play as a wingman, with occasional attendances inside and some time roaming at half forward. He is too slightly built to play as a KF and given how narrow his shoulders are, unlikely to become bulky enough. Plus his skill set lends to playing in a more midfield role.
    Turn him into a Bont, his skillset and pace lend him to being anything in there. Massive line breaker
    A point of note also is that he was by far the lowest Time on Ground too, 64%, will only get better.

So many good tough players, Parker is unbelievable in tight, Bell contests on the ground as much as Tom and Sam do in the air fwd, very underrated influence.

Ollie was inside outside too, dont understand the bashing on here for him. He did alot of the tough stuff for a slight build.

Defence was unreal, oraganised and the fact that Mills in 23 is amazing.

Would love to see all that young manic fwd pressure alongside Buddy

Everyone did their jobs and the players we need getting touches got touches.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Turn him into a Bont, his skillset and pace lend him to being anything in there. Massive line breaker
    A point of note also is that he was by far the lowest Time on Ground too, 64%, will only get better.

So many good tough players, Parker is unbelievable in tight, Bell contests on the ground as much as Tom and Sam do in the air fwd, very underrated influence.

Ollie was inside outside too, dont understand the bashing on here for him. He did alot of the tough stuff for a slight build.

Defence was unreal, oraganised and the fact that Mills in 23 is amazing.

Would love to see all that young manic fwd pressure alongside Buddy

Everyone did their jobs and the players we need getting touches got touches.
    I agree about Ollie, did alot of grunt work and tackled hard, as did Stephens. I reckon Dylan will have a breakout game soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I agree about Ollie, did alot of grunt work and tackled hard, as did Stephens. I reckon Dylan will have a breakout game soon.
    Thought he had a breakout quarter in the previous game against the Pies. He seems pretty tough for a skinny looking kid. Laid the perfect tackle on, I think, Cameron not far from their goal, when Cameron was looking for a high free kick.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Nicely put......the 'encroachment' rule is the stupidest, most harshly penalised infraction in footy. It's a shame our leagues leaders are too stupid to see that. Any rule that goes against the spirit of the game and the spirit of fairness should be scrapped.....and this one is the worst.
    And the other element in the infuriating mix, is that some teams to be drilled, that if you can't stop your opponent from taking a mark, then at least rugby tackle them from behind. Hawthorn defenders, such as Stratton, Sicily and Frawley, seem to be the main adherents to this deliberate delaying tactic. Even though it's in the rules as a 50 and it slows down the play far more than encroachment, it's very rarely penalized.