Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Round 12: Swans v Giants in Perth

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Oh my. I'm on cloud 27 after this game.
    The kids seem to have finally gelled.
    Putting paps into the middle and moving lizard around has worked wonders. They should stick with this.
    We're STILL the owners of the bridge - how it should be.
    Give them a few years and we're going to be a force to be reckoned with - again.
    Pity the umpires were playing full-forward for the bogans.
    Had they scored 0.7.7, properly, without help from the umps, I would have tattooed it onto my back.
    I think the game has opened up a whole new realm of possibilities for the swans. For example:

1. A hard running two way young midfield can burn off an older more fancied midfield
    2. The old swans brand of tackle and turnover still has merit. Longmire commented that he felt they were starting to get a better balance.
    3. Forward defensive pressure counts. For example, based on the swans own stats, wicks had the highest number of pressure acts and caused the most turnovers in the team. Yet he hardly touched the ball. Hayward did an amazing job on Haynes keeping him to 7 disposals. Having the genuine defensive forwards killed off GWS ability to rebound from the backline and nullified players like whitfield
    4. The forwards don't need to score. The forwards had a low number of possessions and didn't score many goals. Rather they nullfied GWS defensive rebound, keeping the ball inside 50 and enabling the gut running mids; rowbottom, bell, stephens etc to blast through the corridor.

I don't know how this plan would hold up against teams that are not as lazy as GWS, but it is definitely a plan worth exploring!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I think the game has opened up a whole new realm of possibilities for the swans. For example:

1. A hard running two way young midfield can burn off an older more fancied midfield
    2. The old swans brand of tackle and turnover still has merit. Longmire commented that he felt they were starting to get a better balance.
    3. Forward defensive pressure counts. For example, based on the swans own stats, wicks had the highest number of pressure acts and caused the most turnovers in the team. Yet he hardly touched the ball. Hayward did an amazing job on Haynes keeping him to 7 disposals. Having the genuine defensive forwards killed off GWS ability to rebound from the backline and nullified players like whitfield
    4. The forwards don't need to score. The forwards had a low number of possessions and didn't score many goals. Rather they nullfied GWS defensive rebound, keeping the ball inside 50 and enabling the gut running mids; rowbottom, bell, stephens etc to blast through the corridor.

I don't know how this plan would hold up against teams that are not as lazy as GWS, but it is definitely a plan worth exploring!
    Interesting thoughts. I hope they happen.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Another plus was having some better balance with height for the inevitable "long down the line".

Reid and McCartin did not have an enormous impact in the forward 50/goal recording, but they each had 3 marks (McCartin all contested) and Reid 2 contested.

Having that balance and option was useful for both returning balls into our scoring 50, and, an outlet from our defensive 50.

Sinclair as usual tried hard all day and added 4 marks with 2 contested.

Even though the glass feels half full at the moment with that performance, the performance was also aided by very poor GWS side and very poor adjustment by Leon Cameron in the coaching box to Longmire’s plan.Forward half defense and good two way running wingman helped nullify their strengths.
    I think we have recruited well with 2 way Fast runners over last 3 drafts.
    But elite kickers with great vision are what we need to perform to high standards on a regular basis. Development this and next year followed by astute trading in 2022 will get us in contention.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post

Yes, Wicks does have excellent pressure skills, and his second and third efforts are impressive. Though the one that I've really been noticing is Bell. It seems to me, that if he's in the area, then it's very rare for the opposition to get a clean disposal away. He's lightning quick over the first 5 or 10 metres and he hits the ball carrier hard. Consequently, a lot their kicks and handballs don't go where they're supposed to. A few of our goals against the Giants, were a result of turnovers caused by Bell.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    These are the votes for the Brett Kirk Medal:

Vince Rugari, Sydney Morning Herald:

3 James Rowbottom
    2 Nick Blakey
    1 Luke Parker
    The only one close to getting it right
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    The only one close to getting it right
    You don't think Parker was BOG?

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    You don't think Parker was BOG?
    Parks was probably just ahead of Paddlebum IMO.
    My point was more that this was the only journalist to include Rowbottom.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Parks was probably just ahead of Paddlebum IMO.
    My point was more that this was the only journalist to include Rowbottom.
    His first quarter was enormous. Faded somewhat after that. As expected the four quarter performances came from the mature heads: Parker, Rampe, Mills, Lloyd and, surprisingly, Melican.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627