Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Elijah Taylor banned for rest of season!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Classy statement from Harley and the Swans....as usual....but I hope they aren't just bending over a little and accepting harsher penalties with this 'soft cap' business. That doesn't sound right to me.....
    *If* the above a quote is true and there was deliberate deceit on Elijah's behalf (rather than innocent error), it would be a pretty serious breach of club standards.

Somewhat explainable, but would be pretty disrespectful to the club, aside from everything else.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    As always, our club has handled a problem with honesty and class.

Veteran Site Admin
    Difference with the Buckley situation was that the Swans were still in WA quarantine, not just the AFL bubble. So he risked bringing the wrath of McGowan on the AFL.

From a fine perspective, Buckley and his assistant (name escapes me) paid their fines themselves. I imagine that in other circumstances where clubs have been fined (eg Cotchin's wife and the spa), the fines would be counted in next year's soft cap too . Otherwise that is an inconsistent application.

Regular in the Side
    Didn't recall seeing soft cap mentioned in other earlier fines though.

Elijah Taylor banned for rest of season!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Difference with the Buckley situation was that the Swans were still in WA quarantine, not just the AFL bubble. So he risked bringing the wrath of McGowan on the AFL.

From a fine perspective, Buckley and his assistant (name escapes me) paid their fines themselves. I imagine that in other circumstances where clubs have been fined (eg Cotchin's wife and the spa), the fines would be counted in next year's soft cap too . Otherwise that is an inconsistent application.
    Cochin & wife paid the Richmond fine as well. I imagine Swans wouldn’t expect ET pay fine given his relatively low salary.

Really feel for ET. He’s stuffed up big time no question, but a kid with questions over his resilience already, this could be a career ender for him. The club will get around him no doubt, but really sucks for him. They’ve tightened the rules after Bucks @@@@@@ up and now our club and this young kid wears the brunt. It’s not right really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My reading of the situation is that the Swans imposed the penalty on ET not the AFL, hence the severity.

But they also acknowledge it’s not an easy time for him, there’s some sympathy in the statement too.

“We also appreciate that the circumstances of this year are unique and challenging for everyone, and we will continue to provide support to Elijah, as well as our other staff and players who are away from their families.“

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    *If* the above a quote is true and there was deliberate deceit on Elijah's behalf (rather than innocent error), it would be a pretty serious breach of club standards.

Somewhat explainable, but would be pretty disrespectful to the club, aside from everything else.
    First time away from home so understandable. He felt the stress like we all do on a so called pandemic that has a 99% survival rate. I place the blame on these corrupt politicians more than ET.

No, sorry I got that wrong. It’s the AFL that’s sanctioned ET, which makes me feel he has been treated far worse than some others.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    They’ve tightened the rules after Bucks @@@@@@ up and now our club and this young kid wears the brunt. It’s not right really.

As Liz has pointed out higher up in this thread, ET’s breach is worse than that of Buckley in that he has not only broken AFL rules but also WA quarantine rules. (It happened in the first 14 days that the Swans were in Perth.)

The latter is the reason WA police were involved.

It really was serious as it put the AFL’s ongoing matches in WA at risk. So the severity of the penalty is warranted I think.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    First time away from home so understandable. He felt the stress like we all do on a so called pandemic that has a 99% survival rate. I place the blame on these corrupt politicians more than ET.
    Save the conspiracies mate, people are dying. If it was a ‘ so called pandemic ‘ what benefit do the ‘ Illuminati ‘ gain by tanking the worlds economy ? Honestly give us a massive spell with this trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    As Liz has pointed out higher up in this thread, ET’s breach is worse than that of Buckley in that he has not only broken AFL rules but also WA quarantine rules. (It happened in the first 14 days that the Swans were in Perth.)

The latter is the reason WA police were involved.

It really was serious as it put the AFL’s ongoing matches in WA at risk. So the severity of the penalty is warranted I think.
    Fair enough, I still feel for the kid though, and the fact the fine comes off our soft cap next year is still due to a tightening of the rules post Bucks breach.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast