Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Round 13: Dockers v Swans

Assorted thoughts:

* I agree with lwjoyner - Cunningham had a great game. Really stepped up and took some responsibility as one of our most experienced players on the night.

* The crowd support was curiously and conspicuously much less than the week before, when it was so fantastic. It's understandable that the opposition had many more supporters there but why did we seem to have so many fewer?

* As to the critics of the game plan not being attacking enough: our Freo game plan was brought to you by the exact same people that have played direct, fast, corridor footy in other weeks recently that we all enjoyed so much. I don't think we just gave up on that plan after a great win last week. Rather, I think the opposition also has a say in the way we play. Maybe Freo saw what we had been doing and decided to shut it down and they executed well and we didn't respond well enough. Or possibly we made the erroneous choice that it was better to use a different game plan against Freo. I don't think that's so likely otherwise we would have reverted to our new Plan A when we could see Plan B clearly wasn't working.

* Melican has had a couple of good weeks. Glad we hadn't written him off or anything! Fingers crossed he can sustain it. He's still young and maturing, so I'm optimistic. (Or maybe I should say "and" I'm optimistic, rather than "so" - it seems these types of comments say much more about the poster than our team/player/coach.) It's good to know that Melican's best is good enough.

* Wicks was also good. He's in front of Foot at the moment.

Overall, I would repeat the footy truism that I trotted out last week too: it's never as good as it seems, it's never as bad as it seems.
    (Nearly never anyway - and not this week.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Do those player ratings have credibility? Who creates them? I see Wicks had a high rating, does that mean he did a lot of off the ball things, as he din't get lots of touches?
    I think the AFL Player ratings are based on Champion Data and stats that have been identified by the coaches as being relevant. I seem them as having much more credibility than the Fantasy/Dreamteam/Supercoach type stats which are pretty fluffy.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Do those player ratings have credibility? Who creates them? I see Wicks had a high rating, does that mean he did a lot of off the ball things, as he din't get lots of touches?
    See Player ratings: frequently asked questions to understand the rating system. It is better than the Fantasy Point but still is not perfect. It only record a player actions in "passage of play" but not things like where they run , how fast they run, how long they run, how they inspire team-mates, organise the team etc...

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Not the first, and probably not the last, game where we (intentionally?) took a player from the forward line and added to the midfield congestion. This left us out numbered in the forward line once we actually won the ball.

There was a game earlier in the season where Horse mentioned that was not what he wanted but the inexperienced kids kept "getting sucked back into the contest".
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

A couple of comments from Horse about the game:

“We didn’t have the same run and energy as last week...our skills dropped off," Longmire said.“We couldn’t bring the ball to ground and missed targets going forward...some of the young fellas didn’t contribute as much tonight as they were able to last week”.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    A couple of comments from Horse about the game:

“We didn’t have the same run and energy as last week...our skills dropped off," Longmire said.“We couldn’t bring the ball to ground and missed targets going forward...some of the young fellas didn’t contribute as much tonight as they were able to last week”.
    So we didn't play a Plan B after all.....we played last weeks Plan A and just didn't execute it properly against a team that was ready for it and executed their plan better. Happens with a young team. The howls of disappointment in the team and the derision of our coaches on here should go quiet now......in a perfect world anyway.

Alas, RWO.....not a perfect world.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    * The crowd support was curiously and conspicuously much less than the week before, when it was so fantastic. It's understandable that the opposition had many more supporters there but why did we seem to have so many fewer?
    It was Fremantle's home game so they would have been allocated a majority of the tickets. Unfortunately there wasn't much to cheer about for the swans supporters that did go ☹.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617