Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Round 14 • Port v Sydney Swans @ Adelaide

Veterans List
    Gary Lyon brought up on OTC tonight that Rowbottom's form has dropped off the last 2 games since Kennedy came back into the midfield. Not a bad observation. Less time in the guts coincides with our abysmal centre clearance work the last 2 weeks. James might just be one of those mids who needs to be top dog or revels in the high work load zone. Ditto Parker maybe. Kennedy's coming off an injury and might be better value up forward more. Got plenty of stats but this masked his poor disposal and crappy hand passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Gary Lyon brought up on OTC tonight that Rowbottom's form has dropped off the last 2 games since Kennedy came back into the midfield. Not a bad observation. Less time in the guts coincides with our abysmal centre clearance work the last 2 weeks. James might just be one of those mids who needs to be top dog or revels in the high work load zone. Ditto Parker maybe. Kennedy's coming off an injury and might be better value up forward more. Got plenty of stats but this masked his poor disposal and crappy hand passes.
    I wondered if that’s why Sir James’ numbers declined so drastically?

Back to the problem of the midfield pecking order dominated by the slow old dogs Kennedy, Parker and Hewett.

Play Kennedy forward. Rowbottom is our future not JPK.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Well, it’s nice that Gary is paying a bit of attention, but I’m not sure this holds up.

Rowbottom was one of our better players v Fremantle: 19 disposals (13 contested), 6 tackles, 8 clearances. I liked Meg’s theory - he took a hit early in the game against Port which stunned him a little. I’m pretty confident he’ll hit back this week.

It looked to me that Rowbottom took a heavy knock early in the Port game and seemed to struggle after that. He certainly was not moving well at times during the game.

Suspended by the MRP
    I have been as hard as anyone on young Rowbottom - in a tough love kind of way. However to say his form has dropped off is codswallop. As MattW stated above, he was our best midfielder against Fremantle. On the weekend versus Port Power he encountered a team of bigger, harder, stronger bodies. There is a reason they've been top of the ladder all season. It would've served as an invaluable lesson in the kind of demolition displays he himself will dish out in the future hopefully. If he is the tough, pragmatic kid Longmire has painted him to be, he will take lessons from it, dust himself off, and bounce back this week.

Frustrating that Mills has still not been given a proper midfield crack.

I appreciate we need defenders but we also need midfielders and need them more urgently. We either have slow old warriors in there (Parker/JPK) or really young kids (Rowbottom/Florent/McInerney). Someone like Mills is the exact type of midfielder we need and are absolutely lacking in - bigger bodied, decent speed, can take a grab, good kick etc.

Senior Player
    "Frustrating that Mills has still not been given a proper midfield crack.

I appreciate we need defenders but we also need midfielders and need them more urgently. We either have slow old warriors in there (Parker/JPK) or really young kids (Rowbottom/Florent/McInerney). Someone like Mills is the exact type of midfielder we need and are absolutely lacking in - bigger bodied, decent speed, can take a grab, good kick etc."

This so much Captain.

In what is essentially a development year, Longmire has failed dismally on this one. There's absolutely nothing to lose by giving Mills an extended run in the midfield, but he's still refuses to do it.

Compare Mills to Jacob Hopper at GWS who was a similarly rated as an inside midfielder in his draft year. Mills is miles behind him in his development

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Well, it’s nice that Gary is paying a bit of attention, but I’m not sure this holds up.

Rowbottom was one of our better players v Fremantle: 19 disposals (13 contested), 6 tackles, 8 clearances.
    Absolutely correct. Good stats for the Freo game, the drop-off is in disposals (due to less kicks, still plenty of handballs) and clearances, in the Port game.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021